Has anyone installed a ceiling mount DVD player

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tjbrinson

I'm wondering if it's possible to change my factor installed ceiling mounted light switch with a ceiling mounted DVD player. I'm worried that it may not work since the light bulb is listed as 8watts (not sure what the fuse is), and the DVD player requires 12v DC. Does anyone have any experience with this?

tjbrinson said:
I'm wondering if it's possible to change my factor installed ceiling mounted light switch with a ceiling mounted DVD player. I'm worried that it may not work since the light bulb is listed as 8watts (not sure what the fuse is), and the DVD player requires 12v DC. Does anyone have any experience with this?

An iPad only uses about 2.5 watts to run (And a max of 10 watts while charging). An iPad mount is also the only thing I'd ever consider mounting.

If you have your heart set on a dvd player you could probably just put in a higher power fuse in the fuse box if it requires more than 8 watts.

coolfilmaker said:
An iPad only uses about 2.5 watts to run (And a max of 10 watts while charging). An iPad mount is also the only thing I'd ever consider mounting.

If you have your heart set on a dvd player you could probably just put in a higher power fuse in the fuse box if it requires more than 8 watts.

I was thinking of changing the fuse, but the owner's manual says...
"CAUTION - Never use a fuse of a higher or lower amperage rating than that specified on the fuse box cover. This could damage the electrical system or cause a fire."

I mean, it sounds like a 'CYA' statement, but I didn't want to chance it unless someone else has tried it before me. I don't know what amp the fuse is set for, and if I change the fuse, will the wire to the ceiling mounted DVD handle the extra voltage.

DO NOT change the fuse. A fuse is in the circuit to protect the wire - prevent the wire from getting so hot it ignites. You are not concerned with "extra voltage", but increased current (Amps). The light is 12 volts, the DVD player is 12 volts.

You need to know two things right now:

1) What is the current (Amps) requirement of the proposed DVD player?

2) What else is on that fused circuit? I haven't looked, but I think the owner's manual will say what fuse does what.

ebill3 said:
DO NOT change the fuse. A fuse is in the circuit to protect the wire - prevent the wire from getting so hot it ignites. You are not concerned with "extra voltage", but increased current (Amps). The light is 12 volts, the DVD player is 12 volts.

2) What else is on that fused circuit? I haven't looked, but I think the owner's manual will say what fuse does what.

If you check the wire guage in the ceiling light and make sure that it is adequate then you should be fine changing the fuse. Just don't hook a toaster up.

coolfilmaker said:
ebill3 said:

If you check the wire guage in the ceiling light and make sure that it is adequate then you should be fine changing the fuse. Just don't hook a toaster up.
That is really bad advice. Do NOT change the fuse. Nissan is not playing CYA.

Bill

ebill3 said:

1) I'm guessing since I don't know have the product in hand to check, but I figure it's probably 1.7-3.5amps (I base that on 20-40 watts for portable dvd players).

2) unfortunately the owner's manual does not indicate what else is on the fused circuit. Or at least I can't find it.

keydiver said:
Even the smallest fuse in the fuse box is 10 amps, way more than any DVD player. Just hook it up, and it should work just fine.
Agreed. For those who don't know, you multiply volts and amps to get watts. 12 volts x 10 amps = 120 watts. More than enough.

Back