San Diego - Current List of Public Charging Stations

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
AB475 Warning:
From the pictures at ACE Parking (a few posts above) it appears that any Charging spaces in this lot are most likely (or quite possibly) "AB475'd".

If AB475 does apply, your car would be subject to being towed if somebody "accidently" unplugged your car during or after charging, even though you had properly PAID for the PARKING.

If this is the case, you MIGHT consider it TOO RISKY to charge there, and you might want to inform the lot owners (and operators) of the impact of their chosen signage.

Randy said:
Just updated the first post with the latest list of charging sites...
Thanks Randy.

Do you know how welcome the public is at some of these sites? In particular:

The Grand Del Mar is a gated community, so presumably you could charge if you lived there, were visiting someone there, or were playing golf there.

Do you think Pearson Ford really welcomes Leafs charging there? Do you think Leon would welcome Ford Focus EV's charging at Mossy Nissan? He told me he had a Volt charging there at least once. But there are going to be hundreds of times as many Leafs as Focus' for the next few years.

Do you think Enterprise car rental would welcome non-customers charging there at times when they aren't using the station to charge their own cars?

Hi Walter,
fyi, the Grand Del Mar is a luxury hotel in Carmel Valley off 56 (~$400 per night). I haven't been there, so I don't know if the units are located in a pay lot or just available in a self-park free lot.

I left "workplace charging" units off the list, as those are private. But the Blinks listed are supposed to be "public charging" units...

If anyone has any experience to the contrary, I can remove them from the list...

Thanks, Randy

Stopped at the Kohl's in Santee today and their were two new Blink units installed. They were both on, but surrounded by plastic construction fence. I did plug in and charge, but they are not on Blink's map yet.

9412 Mission Gorge Road, Santee, CA

Randy said:
Added UCSD and Salk Institute locations...
I went looking for that UCSD location a couple of nights ago and came up dry (I really needed the charge, too). It's either not where the Blink map says it is, or it's not in a publicly accessible location as the Blink map indicates a spot between two lots that seems to be fenced in.

davewill said:
It's either not where the Blink map says it is, or it's not in a publicly accessible location as the Blink map indicates a spot between two lots that seems to be fenced in.
The Blink map is totally wrong--it shows the charger at the Center for NMR Spectroscopy and Imaging of Proteins in the lower Muir lots between Third (Thurgood Marshall) College and Muir College. The address is shown as 9500 Gilman Dr., which is just the mailing address for the whole university. The actual locations that I have used at UCSD are near the old bookstore (Bldg. 202UC, now Alumni Relations) on Myers Dr., in the loading dock area at the NW corner of the Bldg. (X marks the spot in this map):

UCSDL2.jpg

and the two out at the Campus Service Complex where Gilman meets Voigt Drive:

UCSD.jpg

They are not really intended for public use, and the spots are often occupied by University vehicles and designated as "Service Yard Parking" only. You might be able to hook up to one, but I would not leave the car for fear of being ticketed by Campus Police for parking violations. No temporary parking permit you can buy allows you to park in those spaces. If you were there when the parking police arrived, you might be able to talk your way out of a ticket by explaining the "emergency nature" of your stopping there, though. I wouldn't use them for any other routine purpose, myself, and I have a lifetime "A" campus parking permit as a "Staff Emeritus." I would use the Torrey Pines Lodge location for routine charging, which is nearby. Ultimately, there will be public charging available at UCSD, but it's not really there yet. The installed chargers are only for the UCSD fleet at this point.
HTH,
TT

Not yet operational - 3/6/2012
Irvine Company
4660 La Jolla Village Dr
San Diego, CA 92126

2 J1772 stations, one Blink and one Chargepoint, with three parking spaces reserved for EV charging with good signs (non-AB475) and cones. No spaces ICEd. Located immediately right of the entrance to the parking garage from westbound La Jolla Village Drive just before the corner with Towne Centre Dr. Also accessible from the entrance on Towne Centre, northbound or southbound, but be sure to turn into the 4660 parking garage not the garage of the adjacent identical office tower. Signs throughout the parking garage direct you to the charging stations on level P2.

Charging is currently (2/2012) free, but parking costs $3/hr with some initial minutes free. Payment is automated with cash, credit, or debit cards. Sunflower Cafe is in the building basement. University Towne Centre shopping center is across the street.

This location shows on the Blink map but not yet on the Chargepoint map.

I'm thankful for this list. I'll be in SD at the Bahia Resort Hotel in October and am reserving a Leaf from Enterprise. I called the Bahia this morning and asked them about charging stations and was told that the head of maintenance would get back to me asap that the desk didn't know (which most likely means they don't have a charging position). Maybe the maintenance guy will install one?? I can't wait to see what San Diego looks like after 50 years .. I'll bet there have been some changes. :lol:

Regards,

Dave

The Walgreens at the corner of Lake Murray Blvd and Navajo Road in San Carlos now has a L2 station...non-blink. I didn't see it listed on any of the databases or apps yet.

Checked in Julian. Charger will be behind the Town Hall, but they are still $7000.00 short to pay for the utility improvements/installation required. Told me to check back in a few months, but no time frame. :-/

Looks like the Santee City Council approved permits for In 'n' Out and Chick-Fil-A to both go in on the Kohls Parking lot in Santee (where the two chargers are currently installed)...

http://www.utsandiego.com/news/2012/mar/14/more-fast-food-coming-to-santee/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

CWO4Mann said:
I'm thankful for this list. I'll be in SD at the Bahia Resort Hotel in October and am reserving a Leaf from Enterprise. I called the Bahia this morning and asked them about charging stations and was told that the head of maintenance would get back to me asap that the desk didn't know (which most likely means they don't have a charging position). Maybe the maintenance guy will install one??
Hopefully, you can charge overnight with L1 at some outlet on the property. By Oct., there should be a lot of L2 options and hopefully some L3 stations available too. You might consider signing iup for Car2go on your visit also. It may be useful for leaving your Leaf charging at a station while you continue your sightseeing for a few hours in the SmartEV. There are also a lot of Leaf owners in the area that may be able to offer you a "sip" off their own EVSE's if you need it. My house is only about 8 miles from the Bahia.
I can't wait to see what San Diego looks like after 50 years .. I'll bet there have been some changes. :lol:
50 years!?!? Ya, there's been some changes. :D 50 years ago I was 13. The Padres still played at Westgate Park and the Chargers were at Balboa Stadium. Population had just broken 1M in the whole county, and now there are about 3M (if you don't count Tijuana). A lot of the open space has been filled in and the El Cortez Hotel is no longer the tallest building around town. Otherwise, it's the same... ;)

TT

The Blink EVSE's at Miramar College, new parking structure, first level.

Excellent example of how to lay out the chargers, where any one charger can reach multiple parking stalls.

Back