Blink 2.0

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The new firmware had started to load when I arrived home last night a little after 6pm. It must have taken about an hour to complete the installation. Individual lines would pop up on the screen to explain in detail exactly what was loading, eventually filling the screen. It had to have already done the download while I was at work. When it was done I plugged in my car (I was afraid I might mess it up if I plugged in while it was in the middle of the install). Everything seems to be working fine as it charged up last night, but I haven't had time to play with it.

Is there a way to force Blink to download the new firmware? I got the email earlier this week but by now my Blink still has not loaded the new 2.0 firmware yet. I'd like to get it sooner if I could.

Volusiano said:
Is there a way to force Blink to download the new firmware? I got the email earlier this week but by now my Blink still has not loaded the new 2.0 firmware yet. I'd like to get it sooner if I could.

Some of the 1.x firmwares would have trouble keeping up the network connection. Rebooting the silly thing may help get it to connect and poll for software update. Power cycle the Blink and see if that triggers the update.

JPWhite said:
Volusiano said:

Some of the 1.x firmwares would have trouble keeping up the network connection. Rebooting the silly thing may help get it to connect and poll for software update. Power cycle the Blink and see if that triggers the update.
I forgot to say that I did that already (power cycle) and it didn't help.

Volusiano said:
JPWhite said:
Volusiano said:

Beta testers were switched from wireless to wired connections to ensure the update/connection would occur and be successful. I have left it connected via the wired interface on the basis that if it ain't broke don't fix it.

If you can run a wire on a temp basis and reconfigure it to the wired connection that may help trigger the update.

I don't know the specifics, but Blink maybe selecting groups of EVSE's for update and stagger updates to prevent network congestion. Wireless carriers do something similar when upgrading phone OS's. There may not be a way for you to force the update. You could email Blink and ask them if your unit is scheduled for update.

JPWhite said:
If you can run a wire on a temp basis and reconfigure it to the wired connection that may help trigger the update.

I tried that, and my internet connection test would still occasionally fail. Very frustrating machine. I called and unloaded a bit on the Blink guy. He said no 2.0 until next week.

My unit has been on a repair ticket since Dec 13, 2011, according to him. No calls, no movement on getting it fixed since then.

TonyWilliams said:
JPWhite said:

I tried that, and my internet connection test would still occasionally fail. Very frustrating machine. I called and unloaded a bit on the Blink guy. He said no 2.0 until next week.

My unit has been on a repair ticket since Dec 13, 2011, according to him. No calls, no movement on getting it fixed since then.
Small consolation, but 2.0 is worth the wait. It is better by leaps and bounds.

They seem to have messed up the statistics, but reliability/stability is so much better. A reasonable trade I suppose :)

JPWhite said:
Volusiano said:

Beta testers were switched from wireless to wired connections to ensure the update/connection would occur and be successful. I have left it connected via the wired interface on the basis that if it ain't broke don't fix it.

I don't know the specifics, but Blink maybe selecting groups of EVSE's for update and stagger updates to prevent network congestion. Wireless carriers do something similar when upgrading phone OS's. There may not be a way for you to force the update. You could email Blink and ask them if your unit is scheduled for update.
I use the power line adapter for my connection and the connection test result shows that my Blink is connected just fine. It's basically using the wired-connection configuration on the Blink, pretty much. So I'm guessing that it may be that Blink is rolling it out slowly like you guessed. It's no big deal. I'll just wait for a while longer.

I called today and the guy at blink said that they didn't have a date yet for the 2.0 release. What the hell?

Who cares when. Why are people so hot to get a useless OS that adds no real value and likely more bugs. If the Blink had no software at all it would be even better. If your unit works you are lucky- for now. Perhaps they will add a feature to create a support ticket of the touch screen but that would require a working internet connection :lol:

EVDRIVER said:
Who cares when. Why are people so hot to get a useless OS that adds no real value and likely more bugs. If the Blink had no software at all it would be even better. If your unit works you are lucky- for now. Perhaps they will add a feature to create a support ticket of the touch screen but that would require a working internet connection :lol:
I want it because it has less bugs and does add features

FWIW I have had my Blink unit since I got my car in October of 2011. I used the ethernet-over-power option and I have never had a single problem with the unit.

I opted to be a Beta tester and the only issue I found was notifications to my smart phone were not acting correct - both timing and the message being sent (an hour after I unplugged I would get "Blink is plugged"). However, it took them less than a week to put a fix in place and it has worked fine since.

Since I was a Beta tester they released the final firmware update to me (and other Beta testers) ahead of everyone else. I'm now on version 2.0.20120112 E1.10.

Seems to be working just as reliable as before. But again, I have never tried to use WiFi at all.

Anyone know how many years it will be until we get utility integration? I'm sure it will be after people start having to pay for them.

coolfilmaker said:
I want it because it has less bugs and does add features

I haven't noticed the new features. Could you say what they are?
It seems it is communicating data back to ECOtality better. My Blink dashboard seems more accurate now.

Having received an e-mailed notification from Blink that version 2.0 firmware would soon be automatically installed on the Blink EVSE in my garage, I've been checking its "Device Info" screen (found, as anyone would logically expect, under "Settings", rather than hidden away under "Info") every day or two to see if it's arrived. Yesterday evening, I noticed that Blink 2.0 had been installed sometime during the day!

This morning, the Blink racked up its first failure-to-charge under the new firmware, after about 30 hours (according to the displayed system uptime) of operation. Or rather, it would have, if I'd been foolish enough to set the LEAF charging timer back to a "charge by 05:00" mode instead of manually initiating charging and standing by long enough to ensure that the Blink wouldn't throw a "Power Fault" false alarm. With the manual nursemaiding protocol, all I risk is a failure-to-preheat when the "preheat by 06:50" timer goes off. And since I'm groggily getting up then anyway, I can notice the cheery cheeping of the Blink's morning song, stagger into the garage, and tap the "Could you possibly try that again, please?" touch-screen in time to get the automatic window-fogging cycle going.

So now I have a P.O.S. EVSE with the very latest firmware.

garygid said:
Apparently there are two major versions of the Blink residential EVSE hardware.
Well, technically there is only one Blink with different hardware options. The reason why it appears there are two is because we've seen RFID modules (usually only for commercial units) installed in residential units. A couple of screws and a cable being unplugged and it's just like any other residential unit.

coolfilmaker said:
I called today and the guy at blink said that they didn't have a date yet for the 2.0 release. What the hell?

I notice that my Blink message tells me that "Firmware Update L2R.1.8A" is available. It just doesn't say where it is available from. I am thinking this must be a downloadable update? If their version 2.0 is coming out, am I behind the power curve here? So far (60+ days) my Blink has operated without a single glitch.

Dave

Back