Adding Fog Lights to an SV model

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

asinclair

I am one of the few (there's like 6 of us, right?) SV owners out there and want to add fog lights (preferably LED). I have covers where the fog lights would be, and no switch on the dashboard.

As a car hobbyist, I am quite capable of running wires, adding relays, etc. but have never done anything like this on the Leaf.

Specifically, I am looking for help on identifying where to buy a proper dash switch and led fog lights/mounts. Also help on identifying how to properly wire them all together would be very appreciated as well.

Good news is if you use LED you may not need a relay at all

here is the set I may try on my SL to replace the poor stock fogs

http://www.shopatron.com/products/productdetail/part_number=PIA5370/353.0" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I found them on ebay for $125.00 shipped!

asinclair said:
I am one of the few (there's like 6 of us, right?) SV owners out there and want to add fog lights (preferably LED). I have covers where the fog lights would be, and no switch on the dashboard.

As a car hobbyist, I am quite capable of running wires, adding relays, etc. but have never done anything like this on the Leaf.

Specifically, I am looking for help on identifying where to buy a proper dash switch and led fog lights/mounts. Also help on identifying how to properly wire them all together would be very appreciated as well.

On the SL the fog light switch is on the turn signal stick, just inside of the regular headlight switch. Do you have that on the SV? If so you might not need to install a switch in the dashboard.

Be careful , I ordered these but have not installed them yet!
they list 3.5" as the diameter and the stock bumper may need some slight modification to fit

I would add a switch to an empty switch bank left of the steering column.

I can now report that these LP530 PIAA LED fog lights are a perfect fit for the leaf

If you have an SL you can remove your stock fogs and reuse the bracket to mount the new lights

I lit them up just to test and the pattern and color is very nice

I will post a pic once I have them installed permanently

If you have an SV it will be an ok install too , no rely required as they draw only 8 watts

kmp647 said:
I can now report that these LP530 PIAA LED fog lights are a perfect fit for the leaf

If you have an SL you can remove your stock fogs and reuse the bracket to mount the new lights

I lit them up just to test and the pattern and color is very nice

I will post a pic once I have them installed permanently

If you have an SV it will be an ok install too , no rely required as they draw only 8 watts

Excellent news! I am going to try and source a Nissan switch from the dealer to fit in the dashboard...may take me a few weeks but I will post what I find...

Any updates on this? Those two "nipples" where the fog lights should be are the most annoying regret of getting an SV for me, at least in the absence of L3 charging stations.

I was wondering about just putting in some "decorative" fog lights, little blue-ish LED lights that come on with the low beam headlights to avoid the need for adding some kind of switch. We rarely get fog here, and it has never been clear to me that fog lights do squat anyway... seriously, when there is heavy fog how does anything help?

The PIAA led Fog Lights make an attractive addition to the front of an SV, much better than the black plugs. I wired mine as Daytime Running Lights (per GEEK EVs post) because they take so little power. I aimed them carefully so as not to blind anyone. I think they add to my visibility (being seen by others).

The procedure is easy. I raised the car on one front corner with a floor jack and a little wooden adapter described in these pages. I removed Front Under Cover per EXT-21 in the shop manual (just 5 bolts and about 6 push pins, easy). The black plastic hole covers come loose with one more bolt each. The PIAA light fits right in and can peek out the front like a real SL.

SVfogLampt.jpg

I cut the black plug out with a Dremel tool, leaving a little edge around for trim. Work in progress is shown. You could cut it all out, so the chrome on the light but no black shows out front.

SVFogsCut.jpg

I formed a flat aluminum piece to fit inside the upper leg of the factory plastic piece and added a slight bend to reach to the PIAA bracket. The front hole in my bracket takes the original bolt that retains the black plastic piece to the car. I used one bolt to attach the PIAA bracket to mine. I didn't push the light all the way forward into the plastic piece so there was room for adjustment.

SVFogBracket.jpg

Before you button up the Front Under Cover, lower the car back down and aim the little guys per the PIAA instructions (a hair lower than horizontal). Snug bolts will still allow a little movement. Button it up and enjoy.

nice install !

These piaa LED are very good lights , nice performace in night and fog draw little power, and the color is a perfect spektrum match for the leaf LED low beam lights!

Anyone that is still in need I have a set of the OEM Blue ring Fog lights I imported a few into the USA. They include the control Wand with Fog light Switch and wire harness needed. They are the Blue Ring LED Kit. This is JDM part so all the instructions are in Japanese.
I have them up on our web site for sale with a few other Leaf items i have left over. If you need to Add Fog lights to your LEAF or want to upgrade them send me a Message. I dont want to post the link on the Forum as i do not have permission to sell them here.

Pic of the blue ring and light.
b61e0-3nc0a.jpg

Back