ITT J1772 Plug/Cable Set

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
garygid said:
I would want the 32-amp one. Are different length cords available?
Add me to the list. A cable length longer than the Panasonic unit is not critical to us, but could be accommodated if it helps make a quantity buy possible.

HighDesertDriver said:
garygid said:
Add me to the list. A cable length longer than the Panasonic unit is not critical to us, but could be accommodated if it helps make a quantity buy possible.

I think the point is, they are all going to be shorter, 5M typical (~16.5'), they are probably not going to be anywhere near 25'...

mitch672 said:
HighDesertDriver said:
garygid said:

I think the point is, they are all going to be shorter, 5M typical (~16.5'), they are probably not going to be anywhere near 25'...
Mitch, Gary -- I believe that Uchen can produce the sets to our specification. To be clear, I asked for a quote using the standard cable length of 5 meters, but I would be happy to see if they would assemble these sets with 7 or 8 meters of cable instead. What would be your preference? I'm hoping that we could find a happy middle ground that can satisfy everyone.

Alternatively, we could purchase just the plugs and perform the assembly stateside. I don't know how practical that would be and what the impact on the perceived safety and the UL listing would be. Speaking of which, I checked the UL online database and the Dostar plugs are not listed yet. I will keep checking and use the Yazaki file as point of reference.

In the meantime, I reached out to couple of Leaf owners that used Dostar plugs in the past, and confirmed that the new version of the plug, the one manufactured since March 2011, should work well. Here is a quote from Steve in Colorado, and a few pictures he allowed me to use on the forum. The photos seem to depict the resistors and the microswitch used for the proximity function, which was one of the concerns with the Dostar plugs.

Steve from http://www.tzev.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; said:
Yes, I have used their j1772 connector. I fitted it to an older AVCON charger and the unit has worked well with my Leaf and given me no issues what so ever. I have the 70a connector and should note that it does fit "tightly" to the Leaf, but I prefer that tighter fit to ensure good contact. By comparison, I will note that I believe the OEM supplied 110v Leaf connector seems all to fit too loosely to make a good connection. Just my two cents.

Note that the LV blue and green wires are REVERSED in the pictures.

Click to enlarge

Click to enlarge

Click to enlarge

Click to enlarge

Click to enlarge

Image credit: tzev.com and dostar-ev.com

I would prefer the 8-meter (25 feet).

If it is not UL (or other agency) Listed, I guess they can say that the current rating is anything they want.

What is the max-current rating of the J1772 socket used on the LEAF?

garygid said:
I would prefer the 8-meter (25 feet).

If it is not UL (or other agency) Listed, I guess they can say that the current rating is anything they want.

What is the max-current rating of the J1772 socket used on the LEAF?

Gary, that would be based on the wiring attached to the J-1772 socket (and also the PINs themselves), since you own a Leaf currently, what is it? 12AWG would equal 20Amps, and I wouldn't expect to see anything larger than that with the existing 3.3KW charger. It could move up to 10AWG in the future for a 6.6KW onboard charger.

I'd be interested in one of those 32A Dostars for $125.
I already have an Open EVSE board put together and now just need the plug and cable.

Greg Christenson

I would sign-up/commit for a 8mts (25ft) 32Amps cable assembly, don't care the brand. If it's a J-1772 approved connector, should be fine for my open source EVSE.

aqn said:
I skimmed the previous posts, and it looks like nobody has mentioned this yet: there was this thread about a J1772 gun getting stuck in a LEAF. The gun looks the same; I have no idea if it's the same...
Andy, yes this was an earlier version of the Dostar plug. The new model, in production since March 2011, should work without any problems. I emailed a Leaf owner in Colorado, who is using this version of the product, and he confirmed that it worked for him. This was mentioned earlier in the thread as well.

Separately from that, Kevin Sharpe placed a volume order a little while ago for his charity, and he appears to be satisfied with the quality of the product. I believe that we are currently waiting for the Dostar plugs to get UL certified. Hopefully, it won't be much longer. The Uchen rep I spoke expected the application process to complete by the end of January.

Steve from http://www.tzev.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; said:
Yes, I have used their j1772 connector. I fitted it to an older AVCON charger and the unit has worked well with my Leaf and given me no issues what so ever. I have the 70a connector and should note that it does fit "tightly" to the Leaf, but I prefer that tighter fit to ensure good contact. By comparison, I will note that I believe the OEM supplied 110v Leaf connector seems all to fit too loosely to make a good connection. Just my two cents.

Neither of the two "plugs" pictured in the "plug-stuck" thread match either of the two shown a few posts above.

The gray plug in the other thread has a longer "hood" over the hook/latch arm. The white plug has no hood. Both of the plugs shown above in this thread have "partial" hoods.

It was the long hood that made it difficult to remove the grey plug with the "stuck" latch.

i would also be interested in 30amp j1772....sondo we have enough for a group buy??sinc kp couch

surfingslovak said:
Separately from that, Kevin Sharpe placed a volume order a little while ago for his charity, and he appears to be satisfied with the quality of the product.
Unfortunately, as we entered volume production we did see variable quality from the Chinese vendors and decided to run with the new "Gen 2" products from ITT.

Here's a photo of our prototype cable with the new ITT connectors http://twitpic.com/8binqz

I'm not sure where everything is on ordering/purchasing, but thought I would throw this out. I have a Chinese friend with an import/export business and highly technical experience (different field). I am forwarding him some public info (Wikipedia, Yazaki, ITT, etc.) on the J1772 Plug/Cable in hopes that he can obtain these at lower cost. I'll let you know what I find out.

Reddy

Kevin,
Is the picture of two slightly different size handles, or just one size?

What is the current rating of this ITT plug?

Is it UL listed?

It appears to have no provision to lock the Release lever, right?

If it comes with a cable, what lengths are available.

Will you sell in low quantity to us?

Will this "longish" handle fit inside the Nissan Charge-Hatch "cover"?

Price from you?

garygid said:
Is the picture of two slightly different size handles, or just one size?
The picture has both the IEC 62196 Type 1 ("J1772") and Type 2 ("mennekes") connectors.
garygid said:
What is the current rating of this ITT plug?
We use the 32A connector. ITT make a range from 16A to 75A.
garygid said:
Is it UL listed?
Yes.
garygid said:
It appears to have no provision to lock the Release lever, right?
No, you can use a pad lock on the J1772 connector.
garygid said:
If it comes with a cable, what lengths are available.
Our cables are 5m long... they are custom made so any length can be produced.
garygid said:
Will you sell in low quantity to us?
I do not intend to sell component parts to end users. The work involved is significant and it distracts us from our project to donate 1000 Charging Stations. I will sell a J1772 cable IF we can get enough interest on this forum... currently, that looks unlikely.
garygid said:
Will this "longish" handle fit inside the Nissan Charge-Hatch "cover"?
I believe so although have not tested it.
garygid said:
Price from you?
Our 5m mennekes-to-J1772 cable is 199 GBP (~$300 USD).

I'm assuming we are still waiting for the group purchase on the ITT cables? I still need a 70-75amp version to complete my OpenEVSE. Do we have an estimated order date?

Back