Software mod to turn on DRLs?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jwatte

I really like DRLs (they save lives, and have been required since 1980 in some European countries...)
I know I can cover up the daylight sensor to get Auto lights to come on, but that has two potential problems:
1) it turns the nav system to "night" mode
2) it may change the behavior of the climate control (if it uses that sensor to gauge sun heat gain)

Given that the Leaf is sold in many European countries, clearly it has to support DRLs, and I think we can all agree that this "should" only be a software mod.
So... has anyone figured out how to make that mod yet? Is there some simple config that can be set over the CAN bus or something? A DIP switch on a circuit board somewhere? A SPI interface to re-program some microcontroller?

garygid said:
Don't they go auto-off after the LEAF is turned OFF?

That would be smart, wouldn't it?

But, no. The car just beeps when you do that. Loudly.

jwatte said:
garygid said:
Don't they go auto-off after the LEAF is turned OFF?

That would be smart, wouldn't it?

But, no. The car just beeps when you do that. Loudly.

I set my headlights to run during daytime using the light sensitivity settings and programming the headlights to shut off after 45 secs to provide some light for plugging in after dark. See Nav Manual page 6-4 "Viewing technical information"

I don't know how to turn off the beeps but they don't beep for long - 6 times I think?

Code:
COMFORT & CONVENIENCE SETTINGS
This key does not appear on the display until the
power switch is pushed to the "ON" position.
1. Push the MENU button and touch [Settings].
2. Touch [Comfort & Convenience].
3. Touch the item you would like to set.
Available settings
. [Auto Interior Illumination]:
When this item is turned on, the interior
lights will illuminate if any door is unlocked.
. [Speed Sensing Wiper Interval]:
When this item is turned to ON, the wiper
interval is adjusted automatically according
to the vehicle speed.
. [Light Sensitivity]:
Adjust the sensitivity of the automatic headlight
by touching [+] or [-].
. [Light Off Delay]:
Select the duration of the automatic headlight
off timer from 0, 30, 45, 60, 90, 120,
150 and 180 second periods.

I have a little stuffed bean bag sea turtle that sits on my dashboard right over the auto light sensor. Works great.

qcar said:
I have a little stuffed bean bag sea turtle that sits on my dashboard right over the auto light sensor. Works great.

So, again -- aren't there other things that use that sensor? Like the climate control, or nav system map background, or interior lighting?

Can anyone with a service manual figure out how to re-program it to just use the European rules? :)

Right next to it is a solar sensor that the CC uses so, ideally, you'd want to block the light sensor but not the solar sensor...

And no, the lighting control module can not easily be reprogrammed.

jwatte said:
So, again -- aren't there other things that use that sensor? Like the climate control, or nav system map background, or interior lighting?

Back