Powerline Adapter - Make & Model

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

baumgrenze

Has anyone had the powerline adapter solution applied to their Blink?

If so, what Make and Model# did Ecotality install?

Are you pleased with the way it works?

Ecotality seems convinced that my MR814v2 signal is too weak for the Blink. Nevertheless, when I run the Network Setup: Connection Test I get all positive results. On the Device Information page I learn this, (as of 4:56, Thursday, 12/15/11)

Firmware Version
L2R.1.6A, 035A, 1.2, 1.10

EVSE Activated
Yes

Last Network Transmission
4:54 PM Nov 28 2011 [WIFI]

CDMA Active
No

System Uptime
17 days, 0 hrs, 56 min

It appears that the unit has not sent a network transmission since it was installed. Nevertheless it has been 'up' the entire time and has faultlessly charged the Leaf.

I got an email from support in which the powerline adapter approach (PLC - Valet combo) was raised. It contained this sentence. "Considering that your unit does not have a CDMA modem, we need to consider other options to resolve your network connectivity issue." I thought that every Blink came equipped with a CDMA modem, but that turning it on, establishing an account for it, was the issue.

thanks,

baumgrenze

The one Blink gave me is the Alfa Network model Home Plug AV 200M. It's been working fine. They came back and installed it themselves.

It's interesting that your network connection test passes but your Blink is not transmitting successfully. You'd think that the transmission would be part of the test.

But it looks like your firmware is way behind, evident that you don't have a good connection to receive new firmware updates. It's been updated to 1.8 recently, and has been at 1.7 for a long time already.

Thanks for the input.

My guess is that the firmware is the installed default. Why that does not get updated is anyone's guess. Note that this Blink was delivered and installed on 11/28/11, less than a month ago. One would think that it should be an installer's responsibility to make certain that the most recent firmware was installed, no?

baumgrenze

Volusiano said:
The one Blink gave me is the Alfa Network model Home Plug AV 200M. It's been working fine. They came back and installed it themselves.

It's interesting that your network connection test passes but your Blink is not transmitting successfully. You'd think that the transmission would be part of the test.

But it looks like your firmware is way behind, evident that you don't have a good connection to receive new firmware updates. It's been updated to 1.8 recently, and has been at 1.7 for a long time already.
baumgrenze said:
Has anyone had the powerline adapter solution applied to their Blink?

If so, what Make and Model# did Ecotality install?

Are you pleased with the way it works?

Ecotality seems convinced that my MR814v2 signal is too weak for the Blink. Nevertheless, when I run the Network Setup: Connection Test I get all positive results. On the Device Information page I learn this, (as of 4:56, Thursday, 12/15/11)

Firmware Version
L2R.1.6A, 035A, 1.2, 1.10

EVSE Activated
Yes

Last Network Transmission
4:54 PM Nov 28 2011 [WIFI]

CDMA Active
No

System Uptime
17 days, 0 hrs, 56 min

It appears that the unit has not sent a network transmission since it was installed. Nevertheless it has been 'up' the entire time and has faultlessly charged the Leaf.

I got an email from support in which the powerline adapter approach (PLC - Valet combo) was raised. It contained this sentence. "Considering that your unit does not have a CDMA modem, we need to consider other options to resolve your network connectivity issue." I thought that every Blink came equipped with a CDMA modem, but that turning it on, establishing an account for it, was the issue.

thanks,

baumgrenze

Ecotality installed the Alfa Network model AHPE303 PLA on my Blink unit.

at this point, I think the wi-fi on the blinks is just downright dysfunctional. Just go with the powerline adapter, don't bother with trying to test the wi-fi signal, it's just not worth screwing around with it IMHO. I've had the powerline adapter since day one and not had a single issue with the blink... I'm on the verge of saying it's irresponsible for ecotality to continue to install the blinks using wi-fi... if they don't have a huge turn around in customer satisfaction, they are going to implode, causing another huge train wreck of tax payer funding, which the EV movement can't afford.

go with one of the brands mentioned above.

baumgrenze said:
I looked quickly and could not find a menu to force the Blink to perform a firmware upgrade.

Is there one?
If you had the upgrade file, you could do it over the intranet page. However Blink won't give those out. :( You have to wait for your unit to get it over wifi or ethernet.

My Blink upgraded from 1.6 to 1.8 within 15 minutes after having a stable network connection through the Powerline adapter. Seems to be much less dysfunctional now that it's no longer trying to connect through wi-fi.

When the installer tested my ethernet connection in July, it wouldn't pass the network connection process so he put in the PLC. ALFA Network Model AHPE303. They worked without a problem. I tried a few times to unplug the blink and connect my ethernet cable, but couldn't get it to pass the network test. Then early in this month (December) I (we) got an email saying that the blink network would be down on a Saturday while they went through some system upgrades (or some such). During that down time, I un plugged the blink, switched over to the ethernet connection, and plugged the blink back in. It came on line later that day and hasn't missed a beat since.

Does anyone know if the Ecotality supplied Alfa adapters are compatible with other HomePlug AV compliant adapters? I think it is possible to have more than 2 adapters in the network but Alfa adapters are rare and tend to be a bit more expensive than (some) others.

Just to close up this thread from my perspective:

Ecotality replaced my Blink. They concluded that the meter in the original was bad. The Sprig Electric tech got authorization to install powerline adapters (AHPE-303's) and a Cisco Valet wireless router. The unit is on an outside wall. The Valet communicates just fine through 5/8" of plywood exterior paneling on the garage, so Blink's wireless does work at very close range.

I join Valdemar in asking if I can plug in another powerline model, even manufacturer, of adapter and expect the 'master' that is connected to my main wireless router to provide another powerline connection? Any idea which are the 'critical' specs, I see a list of cryptically named modulation schemes under 'ethernet port' and some IEEE standard numbers. Is the chipset critical?

How many Blink related threads are there now? I really think everything can be in one Blink thread as they all tend to come full circle. Perhaps an entire forum on the Blink? Let's limit all these Blink threads to two. I have a Blink that works and I have one that does not. My guess is the latter will suffice 90% of posters and those searching.

That's the idea, that any adapter that conforms to the "HomePlug AV Standard" should interoperate...but I'd probably just buy the same model to simplify things.

davewill said:
That's the idea, that any adapter that conforms to the "HomePlug AV Standard" should interoperate...but I'd probably just buy the same model to simplify things.

I didn't investigate compatibility issues deep enough but it seems it may be necessary to configure all adapters to share the same encryption key, and as far as I understand if all adapters are from the same manufacturer they should be preset to the same key so in such case no additional configuration is necessary as long as you're not worried that your neighbor has the same kind of adapter and can access your network.

I would not have asked about the powerline adapters, but I quickly learned that the Alfa AHPE303 has been discontinued and that only the AHPE305 is available. I'll take my chances that the same manufacturer should be compatible. It is a shame, however, as the price for a pair went up from $40 to $60 with the number change.

Back