Power Fault error - big red screen

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My Blink just updated itself to 1.7 firmware today. Based on what I've heard on this forum, my power fault issues are not over yet. :|

That is true after I had the 1.7 still power fault until the day they changed it out. Now I only have lockup after a reboot or something, some times it say please wait other times it does not.

My Blink power faulted again early Thursday morning, and this morning the circuit breaker on my main panel tripped, for the first time since the unit was installed last spring. No charge on the Leaf, so I can only assume that the breaker tripped as the charge was being initiated (by the Leaf timer).

After unplugging and plugging in the EVSE, resetting the secondary panel EVSE breaker, and resetting the main panel EVSE breaker, it rebooted without incident and seems to be charging just fine.

The Blink Contact Center responded very quickly to my email this morning. I noticed in the "Blink charger problems" thread (http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=43&t=3905&start=170" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;) that a bad circuit breaker is a possible root cause for the power fault error, buit in the meantime the Blink folks are checking to see if a "new core update" will resolve this issue. Is that the 2.0 firmware that I keep hearing about? I'm still on 1.8...

I seriously doubt that a breaker trip has anything to do with the Blink per se but rather is an indication of a problem elsewhere.

lambert said:
My Blink power faulted again early Thursday morning, and this morning the circuit breaker on my main panel tripped, for the first time since the unit was installed last spring. No charge on the Leaf, so I can only assume that the breaker tripped as the charge was being initiated (by the Leaf timer).

Tom, based on this topic thread and others, I would suspect one the following (not necessarily in this order):

- Grounding issue
- Defective circuit breaker
- Defective wiring
- Defective Blink
- Power line anomalies from SDG&E utility company

It's interesting however that the Blink support folks would suspect firmware. That might explain the power fault/orange screen error, but not the 40A circuit breaker tripping, unless the firmware is capable of putting the Blink into a state where it draws current in excess of its rated 30A. The Blink, of course, is the only device on that circuit.

The main panel is only a few feet from the Blink EVSE and I watched the electricians do the work. The city inspector who signed off on the permit said it was one of the cleanest installations he'd seen. So my money is on either a bad breaker or time for a new Blink.

I have had the "power fault" error for a few weeks now. It happens about 2/3 of the time I plug the car in. The only resolution that works for me is to "power cycle" the unit by unplugging it for 5 minutes and then rebooting. It's a hassle. I had about 6 months of no problems with the Blink and then it started suddenly. I was hoping the firmware update to 2.x would fix it, but I still have the problem. I called the Blink support number over a week ago (my second call) and they said they would call back to schedule an appointment for someone to come out. They still have not called back.

My problem appears to have been resolved finally, but only after they replaced my Blink EVSE. I was getting power faults every few days, with the occasional circuit breaker trip on my house panel.

Field support arrived on 2/14 and replaced the Blink, no problems since then.

garygid said:
This is why some folks who really depend upon their car have an alternate charging solution.

If your car was as reliable as your Blink EVSE, where would your car be?

Well, then my car would be in the garage, ironically next to my unreliable Blink EVSE :)

Seriously though, I have not yet been unable to drive the car because of the Blink EVSE. So far, power cycling the unit has fixed the problem. It's just annoying to have to do that.

I have been using the Nissan-provided EVSE for 11
months, and only had one (recurring) problem:

I occasionally forget to plug it into the car! :roll:

Not only perfect performance, but charges twice as fast
(on 240v) due to Ingineer's nicely-done upgrade. :D

Further, I am about to get and try his "Rev2" (12 amps
to 16 amps) upgrade (though I do wish it was switchable).

Back