gbarry42
Delivery Date: 06 May 2011

Re: Brakes problem!!

cwerdna wrote:Regarding the above behavior, is it the same as if you push power w/o stepping on the brake? (In the absence of malfunction) When one normally does that, you'd end up in ON mode, where it's normal that all or virtually all warning lights are on [...] The equivalent on Priuses is IG-ON [...]It almost sounds like one problem (of several?) could be a bad brake light switch.
Except that the green car with the arrows under it means that the car is READY (to use the Prius term). Also that it moved itself is a giveaway clue that this wasn't an accessory mode.
And there goes the first capacity bar! At 24,000 mi on 9/9/2013.
Second bar at 30,500 mi on 2/7/2015.
aqn
Gold Member
Delivery Date: 30 Apr 2011
Leaf Number: 1333

UkrainianKozak wrote:Had pretty weird situation 2 days ago when starting up Leaf...
Like usual I pushed brake pedal, pressed a button, and as it was clunking I heard and felt some click in the brake, then I put car in drive (while holding a brake) and the car started moving!! and it kept moving as I was frantically trying to brake harder, and it took considerable amount of force to stop the car...
After I released the brake and pressed again it responded normally.
While I moved probably only a foot or two during that incident, I was kind of scared... But it never happened again, so not sure if Nissan shop will be able to reproduce it...

Anyone had similar experience?
There were a couple of other reports of almost the same problem:
http://mynissanleaf.com/wiki/index.php? ... s.2Fissues
Anna Nguyen
cwerdna
Delivery Date: 28 Jul 2013

gbarry42 wrote:
cwerdna wrote:Regarding the above behavior, is it the same as if you push power w/o stepping on the brake? (In the absence of malfunction) When one normally does that, you'd end up in ON mode, where it's normal that all or virtually all warning lights are on [...] The equivalent on Priuses is IG-ON [...]It almost sounds like one problem (of several?) could be a bad brake light switch.
Except that the green car with the arrows under it means that the car is READY (to use the Prius term). Also that it moved itself is a giveaway clue that this wasn't an accessory mode.
Ok. Whoops, sorry! (My mom's Altima Hybrid has a light that says READY (just like Toyota hybrids), confirmed it via manual.) The Leaf manual (such as on pages 0-10, 2-19, 5-8) does still refer to it as READY or READY to drive indicator light.

I was referring to ON mode, not ACC.

'22 Niro EV
'19 Bolt Premier (bought back by GM)
'13 Leaf SV w/premium (former)
'13 Leaf SV w/QC + LED & premium (lease over)

Please don't PM me with Leaf questions. Just post in the topic that seems most appropriate.
GoingGreener
Delivery Date: 09 Aug 2011

This has happened to me about 3 times already. Today was the most recent. Just like the other posted experiences. It is quite scary as you feel like you don't have control of the car as it wants to keep moving (not a coasting roll, a pull with energy) when you want it to stop. The brake feels really spongy and goes down really low when it's stepped on with no response. As well as the described ...ICE engine off, and no brake function... it's sorta like the days of old where the ICE car is in high idle, but you don't have time to let it warm and put it in gear to go... the car lurches and wants to go without you stepping on the gas pedal... Then just imagine that you step on the brake and it's spongy and doesn't want to stop. Usually I'm parked in a space that doesn't have alot of room so it's stressful that you might hit something. Also, I'm so concerned about making the brakes work and watching where the car is... I've never looked at the screen or heard the sounds others did... If it happens again, I'll try to observe for those two things.

I don't know when to expect it, so like the grabby brakes, I've been just dealing with it. But whatever the Nissan engineer/mechanic said... it still doesn't seem right. I would not want anyone else I let drive my car to experience that. Maybe the engineer was correct about the part re sitting in the car or leaving the door(s) open. I was parked and waiting for someone at a medical appointment. Some of the time I was in the car, some of the other time I took to shake out the mats with the respective door open. Maybe the other times were after I washed and cleaned the car (individual doors open at various points). Whatever it is, it just doesn't seem right.

I will probably call Nissan CS or a dealership about this since it's been a few times already.
QueenBee
Delivery Date: 20 Jun 2011
Leaf Number: 2062

GoingGreener wrote:I don't know when to expect it, so like the grabby brakes, I've been just dealing with it. But whatever the Nissan engineer/mechanic said... it still doesn't seem right. I would not want anyone else I let drive my car to experience that.
I haven't experienced this problem before but the grabby brakes are maddening. I've mentioned it to Nissan CS but didn't really get anywhere/info. I'm tempted to take the car in for the 6 month tire rotation just so I could ask about the grabby brakes and the line noise when charging but I'm not hopeful that much resolution will happen. It's nice hearing that a lot of others are experiencing and documenting their grabby brake issues. I've had one person that was test driving my car have it happen to them, not a pleasant experience.
leaf
Delivery Date: 27 Jun 2011
Leaf Number: 5045

If the car's frozen, what happens if you press and hold the power button or press it 3 times, rapid fire? Does it shut off? That's the emergency shutoff mentioned on page 5-9.
I did try this with no response! So much for the emergency shutoff.

It also sounds like a safety complaint filed at http://www.safercar.gov/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; is warranted. Maybe it'd be better once the cause is determined.
Yes, I am working on writing it up to send.
leaf
Delivery Date: 27 Jun 2011
Leaf Number: 5045

gbarry42 wrote:
Yes, the picture I show here is what shows when I am pushing down on the brake with everything I have to keep the car from moving. It is well past the start up sequence.

I had NOT been sitting in the car for a long time and did NOT have the door open.

LowerWarningDisplay by mfrptca, on Flickr
aqn
Gold Member
Delivery Date: 30 Apr 2011
Leaf Number: 1333

GoingGreener wrote:This has happened to me about 3 times already. Today was the most recent. Just like the other posted experiences. It is quite scary as you feel like you don't have control of the car as it wants to keep moving (not a coasting roll, a pull with energy) when you want it to stop. The brake feels really spongy and goes down really low when it's stepped on with no response.
Hmmm, that's a different behavior than in other previous problem reports. They reported requiring "considerable amount of force" to stop the car. I suppose that "considerable amount of force" would not technicaly preclude "spongy pedal feel", but I took "considerable amount of force" to mean the same feel as, in an ICE car, when the engine is off and there is no brake boost available: the brake pedal feels extra hard and takes a huge amount of pressure to even slow the car at all.
Anna Nguyen
GoingGreener
Delivery Date: 09 Aug 2011

No, the brakes were not hard. There was no resistance and felt like it hits bottom. That's why it definitely doesn't feel right and gives you a panic feel of no control. It wouldn't be so bad except there is this energy from the car wanting to go somewhere when clearly you don't and just want the brake to function.

I've felt the grabby brakes a few times too. That doesn't bother me as we're usually on the go. As long as there's a little distance from the car in front of you and no one is tailgating you, occupants just get jerked a bit. Just a little embarassing to toss your passengers a little, but no fears. We also have a Prius and felt it with that car. So I just chalk grabby brakes up to the nature of newer technology.

I'm not an alarmist and always take issues I read about and experience to mind, but with a grain of salt. I dislike anything negative as I really like our Prius and just as much our LEAF. So that's probably why I haven't voiced anything up to this point and just hope I don't further experience the problem. But for this issue, I think it's important that it be noted by Nissan that this is happening. So if there's enough incidents, they could review, maybe determine the cause and see if any tweaks could correct as necessary. I asked if maybe our car needs an update. The CS person didn't seem to think so.

I told Nissan CS that I didn't want to give up my daily driver just yet! That I'll try to observe more details if it happens again. We agreed I'd call our local dealership and see if other cases have been reported with them and if and when I should bring it in. I'm only at 3,800 miles after 4 mths. I don't think I'll reach 7,500 miles at 6 mths.

The service tech my call was forwarded to at Serramonte Nissan (closest to San Francisco) at around 1:30pm didn't pick up, so I left a voicemail for a return call. I didn't get a call back today. This is our first Nissan car and we didn't purchase it locally. Anyone have a recommendation for a great/pretty good Nissan service dept nearby?
cwerdna
Delivery Date: 28 Jul 2013

GoingGreener wrote: The service tech my call was forwarded to at Serramonte Nissan (closest to San Francisco) at around 1:30pm didn't pick up, so I left a voicemail for a return call. I didn't get a call back today. This is our first Nissan car and we didn't purchase it locally. Anyone have a recommendation for a great/pretty good Nissan service dept nearby?
I don't follow Nor Cal Nissan service depts that closely since I was away in WA state for >1.5 years and recently sold my Nissan 350Z, but Googling for serramonte nissan site:my350z.com finds a bunch of err... interesting threads.

Falore Nissan in Sunnyvale had a good rep. I used to bring my Z there for warranty work and service, partly because of that and because they were reasonably close to my former work. However, the ownership's changed (no more Falore in the name) I don't know how they are now.

My mom did bring her 07 NAH to Sunnyvale Nissan for an oil change and things went fine. She was happy w/the price too vs. what Premier Nissan on Capitol Expressway wanted (only reason for her to go to Premier is that they're VERY close to where my parents live).

'22 Niro EV
'19 Bolt Premier (bought back by GM)
'13 Leaf SV w/premium (former)
'13 Leaf SV w/QC + LED & premium (lease over)

Please don't PM me with Leaf questions. Just post in the topic that seems most appropriate.

Return to “Problems / Troubleshooting”