Hawaii Leafs

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Revenge of the electric Car
Opening January 5th, 2012
Honolulu, HI: Honolulu Academy of the Arts

Regarding range, I usually charge to 80%, and get about 55 miles.

What are other people getting on Oahu? Please share your range experiences.

fulabu said:
FYI, started at full charge and drove from Kapolei to Sea Life Park, back to Kapolei via Wiamanlo/H3. No A/C for the whole trip - 18 miles left on the Leaf.

What was your total trip mileage? About 80 miles? That's pretty good, although I hope you weren't too hot!

Parking for the Judiciary Building behind Restaurant Row has a dedicated EV charging parking spot complete with credit card activated EVSE. EVs park free anywhere in the building, just as they do at all state and C&C buildings with over 100 parking spots.

So last week I had a bunch of errands in town with the final one being at the Judiciary Building. I planned to run the errands then grab a 2 hour charge before heading home over the Pali. When I got to the parking area there was a Leaf parked in the dedicated charging slot, the EVSE was plugged into the Leaf as if it were charging but when I looked, the EVSE wasn't charging and the process to charge hadn't been started. ie, the readout still said, "Put your charge card in the slot and push the yellow button to start". I also noticed only one light on the dashboard was blinking so they weren't even close to needing a charge.

So the Leaf owner had plugged their car in to look as if they were charging, tying up the charger. This was completely unnecessary as they could have parked free anywhere in the building. I ended up driving to my Mom's on Punchbowl and having my wife bring the Nissan EVSE so I could get enough charge to get back over the hill 10 hours. Extremely inconvenient and a significant irritation as well. I left a note on the car but that didn't even begin to address the way I felt.

To whoever owns the Leaf that was faking a charge and tying up the EVSE slot. Your actions were flat out selfish and ignorant. Get with the program, you aren't the only Leaf in the world.

koolaukid said:
Parking for the Judiciary Building behind Restaurant Row has a dedicated EV charging parking spot complete with credit card activated EVSE. EVs park free anywhere in the building, just as they do at all state and C&C buildings with over 100 parking spots.

To whoever owns the Leaf that was faking a charge and tying up the EVSE slot. Your actions were flat out selfish and ignorant. Get with the program, you aren't the only Leaf in the world.
Did you get a license number?

Couldn't you simply park next to them and unplug them, especially if you know they are not actually charging?

I probably would have unplugged them at that point.

This is why we need more charging stations on the island. Wouldn't be an issue if there were more charging points.

You can check out this link from the DOE for most if not all of the charging points on Oahu.

http://www.afdc.energy.gov/afdc/progs/ind_state.php/HI/ELEC" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Supposedly, there is a charging station on Ahui St, about .7 miles from the Judiciary Building, or you could have used the L2 charger at the Green Energy Outlet. I have used it before with my ChargePoint card.

There are options out there, but just difficult to find them all.

dpodoll said:
Revenge of the electric Car
Opening January 5th, 2012
Honolulu, HI: Honolulu Academy of the Arts

I plan on being there with my Ocean Blue Leaf !!

Anyone else planning on attending?

It would be nice to see a parking lot full of electric vehicles.

JJnHAWAII said:
Couldn't you simply park next to them and unplug them, especially if you know they are not actually charging?

Supposedly, there is a charging station on Ahui St, about .7 miles from the Judiciary Building, or you could have used the L2 charger at the Green Energy Outlet. I have used it before with my ChargePoint card.

There was a car parked next to them otherwise I would have used the space next to them. And yes, I was aware of the EVSE at the Green Energy Outlet but at the time I was so steamed I wasn't thinking clearly. Next time I'll use the them.

After snapping off their windshield wipers. Just kidding . . . . . . . . . . maybe.

I found the shorepower charging station on Ahui St. It's 1 dollar per hour for level 2 charging. They have several electric vehicle parking spots, but only one charger.

The charger is in the parking lot across from the Children's Discovery Center Museum. -Facing the museum, so it's really on Ohe St and not Ahui.

It's really in a great location there near everything.(Near Ward Gateway Center)

koolaukid said:
... I also noticed only one light on the dashboard was blinking so they weren't even close to needing a charge. ...
The light on the dash wouldn't flash if the car wasn't actually charging. Maybe the display on the EVSE was wrong.

davewill said:
koolaukid said:
... I also noticed only one light on the dashboard was blinking so they weren't even close to needing a charge. ...
The light on the dash wouldn't flash if the car wasn't actually charging. Maybe the display on the EVSE was wrong.

I was thinking the same thing. The single blinking light means that the vehicle is charging and the battery SOC is low.

JJnHAWAII said:
davewill said:
koolaukid said:

I was thinking the same thing. The single blinking light means that the vehicle is charging and the battery SOC is low.

Hmmm, I think you're right. Although there was nothing on the EVSE to indicate it was charging and in fact, the message seemed to be looking to initiate the process, the one blinking light does indicate vehicle charging.

Maybe it was a good thing I exercised restraint.

Hi Hawai'i LEAFers,

Just wanted to introduce myself. I've just recently started leasing (with hope to buy) my Leaf. Love it!!
I can't say how helpful these forums have been in making the decision and then in navigating the process, so thank you!

Does anyone know how many Leafs are on Oahu? Are there any Leaf events planned for the near future other than the "Revenge of the electric car" screening? I live in Kaneohe, and looking forward to meeting fellow LEAFers on the island. :)

Aloha,
Nicole

TheBiologist said:
Hi Hawai'i LEAFers,

Just wanted to introduce myself. I've just recently started leasing (with hope to buy) my Leaf. Love it!!
I can't say how helpful these forums have been in making the decision and then in navigating the process, so thank you!

Does anyone know how many Leafs are on Oahu? Are there any Leaf events planned for the near future other than the "Revenge of the electric car" screening? I live in Kaneohe, and looking forward to meeting fellow LEAFers on the island. :)

Aloha,
Nicole

Me too !! I will be at the Revenge of the Electric Car Opening, hopefully with other Leafers.

Just noticed the new charging station installed at the Enterprise in Kaneohe (near Nanko's)! Apparently it's not up and running yet, but should be shortly. Not sure if it's available for the public or just for Enterprise customers. I'm curious to know more...anyone else know about this?

Also, are we planning on going to the opening day of "Revenge of the Electric Car"? If so, what time?

Thanks!

There is a company installing free ev charging stations across Ohau. One of the first charging stations was installed recently at Pearl Ridge Mall and now Kahala Mall has two as well. You just pull up to the ev parking spot and plug in. It's as simple as that. No key fob, no pass code, nothing, and it's completely free.

The company is Volta http://www.voltacharging.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Also, Better Place has quite a few stations going up all over Oahu. I believe they are free the first year. All you have to do is sign up to get your key card for the ev charging station. I hope to have mine later this month.

http://www.betterplace.com/hawaii/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Now you can easily get around the entire island without range anxiety.

As you may know, electric cars with an EV license plate park for free at all State and Municipal parking lots (e.g. Airport, Blaisdell, Zoo, Stadium, etc.) and all parking meters. SB2746 HD1 makes a number of changes to reduce the benefits of free parking;

• Eliminates free parking for vehicles parked at an EV charging station
• Limits free meter parking to 2.5 hours or the maximum amount of time the meter allows, whichever is greater
• Limits free parking to 24 hours in lots such as the Airport

You may also be aware that State law requires parking lots with 100+ stalls to reserve 1% of the stalls for EVs and to install at least one EV charging station. SB2747 HD1 makes several changes including;

• Eliminates requirement to have any reserved parking for electric cars other than one stall equipped with an EV charging station

Both bills (attached) have already been reviewed by the Senate and tomorrow's hearing is the last opportunity to submit testimony before going to final approval.

Below is information on tomorrow's hearing.

COMMITTEE ON ENERGY & ENVIRONMENTAL PROTECTION
Rep. Denny Coffman, Chair
Rep. Derek S.K. Kawakami, Vice Chair
Tuesday, March 20, 2012 at 9:00 a.m.
Conference Room 325, State Capitol

If you would like to submit testimony in support or against either bill you may do so via fax, online or email. Since the hearing is Tuesday at 9am, any testimony should be sent today. Templates are attached, please feel free to use and add your name and customize as you see fit.

To submit testimony;
Online - http://www.capitol.hawaii.gov/submittestimony.aspx" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Email - [email protected]
Fax - 586-8437 or 1-800-535-3859

Back