Beyond Tier 4 - the last 22.

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I am in one of these states -- Nebraska -- and this week received this news from my dealer: Orders will open in April or May, with delivery expected 60 to 90 days thereafter (with delays for red or blue). AeroVironment home assessments will start in January.

papertiger said:
I am in one of these states -- Nebraska -- and this week received this news from my dealer: Orders will open in April or May, with delivery expected 60 to 90 days thereafter (with delays for red or blue). AeroVironment home assessments will start in January.

Thanks for sharing this information...very interesting. It will be interesting to see if these are MY2012 or MY2013...and if they are made in Tennessee. If these are 2012 cars it might just make sense to wait another few months to see what MY2013 brings.

LeafinThePark said:
papertiger said:

Thanks for sharing this information...very interesting. It will be interesting to see if these are MY2012 or MY2013...and if they are made in Tennessee. If these are 2012 cars it might just make sense to wait another few months to see what MY2013 brings.

May + 3 months = August; car delivers in August are typically the tail end of the current model year, so my guess it's gonna be 2012 for everyone not in the blessed 7 states, including Canada. Now, I could get in on the beginning of the 2K12s so I guess I could say I was impatient. But I agree, if it's a matter of the last month of the 2012 model year and waiting a month for a 2013 model year with the 6.6kW charger, I'd take the later.

TimeHorse said:
May + 3 months = August; car delivers in August are typically the tail end of the current model year, so my guess it's gonna be 2012 for everyone not in the blessed 7 states, including Canada. Now, I could get in on the beginning of the 2K12s so I guess I could say I was impatient. But I agree, if it's a matter of the last month of the 2012 model year and waiting a month for a 2013 model year with the 6.6kW charger, I'd take the later.

Besides the 6.6kW charger, do we have any other hints on what might be new for MY2013?

LeafinThePark said:
Besides the 6.6kW charger, do we have any other hints on what might be new for MY2013?

Even the faster charger isn't a firm guarantee; it's only rumor at this point. Price could jump again like it did between 2011 and 2012 (by $1500 - $1900) but could also diminish since they no longer have to suffer as much on the Yen-Dollar exchange rate or pay to get the cars shipped from Oppama.

papertiger said:
Hmm... Home assessments have not started in PA (Tier 4), but Nissan is saying we'll be ordering "by the end of the year". I'm really expecting 90+ days from order to delivery, based on the past.

tps said:
papertiger said:
Hmm... Home assessments have not started in PA (Tier 4), but Nissan is saying we'll be ordering "by the end of the year". I'm really expecting 90+ days from order to delivery, based on the past.

IIRC Tier 2 Assessments were between Order and Delivery so I wouldn't sweat that except in so far that the 30% tax credit expires 31 December 2011.

My FAQ on the credit

TimeHorse said:
tps said:
papertiger said:

IIRC Tier 2 Assessments were between Order and Delivery so I wouldn't sweat that except in so far that the 30% tax credit expires 31 December 2011.

My FAQ on the credit
I got an Ingineer modified EVSE to use back in July when I rented the Hertz LEAF for a couple days. I'll probably turn that in on my taxes this year. It is an EVSE, I bought it in 2011 and I actually used it a couple times!

If you will process EV tax credit and EVSE tax credit same year, with income 100K+ will probably not work for both, very likely only EV, so good idea to separate and process your EVSE this year
tps said:
I got an Ingineer modified EVSE to use back in July when I rented the Hertz LEAF for a couple days. I'll probably turn that in on my taxes this year. It is an EVSE, I bought it in 2011 and I actually used it a couple times!

I agree. Which is why I wrote, in the part of my post that you didn't quote, Nissan should start looking at metropolitan areas rather than whole states.

TimeHorse said:
Yodrak said:
Good analysis.

There are a handful of states in your proposed Tier 6 that are big, but have state populations that are less than that of a moderate size city - a person couldn't get from home to their neighbors house in a Leaf without a re-charge. No point trying to sell Leafs there.

Alaska, Wyoming and Montana may not be a priority, but IMHO Fairbanks, Juno, Anchorage, Bozeman and because it's full of environmentalists Jackson Hole should all be able to buy a LEAF.

From recent Nissan LEAF Research Panel Survey. I think very appropriate here, what will be your response?

Has the wait time for delivery of the Nissan LEAF affected the likelihood of your purchasing an alternative vehicle?
Not at all.
Not very much. My purchase decision is based on the vehicle, not the purchasing process.
Somewhat.
Very much. I have purchased or seriously considered other vehicles because of LEAF availability.
I don’t know.
If you ordered a LEAF today, how long do you think it would take to receive the vehicle?
Less than one month
1 month
2 months
3 months
4 months
5 months
6 months or longer
After ordering, how long do you think is reasonable to wait to receive a built-to-order vehicle?
Less than one month
1 month
2 months
3 months
4 months
5 months
6 months or longer

EdmondLeaf said:
From recent Nissan LEAF Research Panel Survey. I think very appropriate here, what will be your response?

Has the wait time for delivery of the Nissan LEAF affected the likelihood of your purchasing an alternative vehicle?
Not at all.
Not very much. My purchase decision is based on the vehicle, not the purchasing process.
Somewhat.

Very much. I have purchased or seriously considered other vehicles because of LEAF availability.
I don’t know.
If you ordered a LEAF today, how long do you think it would take to receive the vehicle?
Less than one month
1 month
2 months
3 months
4 months
5 months
6 months or longer
After ordering, how long do you think is reasonable to wait to receive a built-to-order vehicle?
Less than one month
1 month
2 months
3 months
4 months
5 months
6 months or longer

Overall I guess we are about at what I expected for a wait based on the early official communications from Nissan. If anything I am more disappointed is the lack of real competition at this point.

EdmondLeaf said:
Less than one month
1 month
2 months
3 months
4 months
5 months
6 months or longer

I think most cars, especially if shipped from Tennessee, shouldn't take much more than a couple months to build. 3.25 months was okay for me but I think in the long run it should be more like 2.

Back