EV, PHEV specs/dimensions compared

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks. very nice.
pleaese add a second ID/CAR Name column at the bottom, as at the top.
the chart is TOO big for some screens.

JRP3 said:
evnow said:
73 miles is about 3.4 m/kwh.
That's going with 22 useable kWh, is that the official figure, 22 available out of 24 kWh total?
I used 21.5. Nothing official about this - just our observation (there is a thread on this).

All the interior/exterior dimension numbers are from
- Manufacturer directly or
- Sites like MSN Autos or Edmunds

There was a question in the gm-volt forum about how I got the Leaf & Volt front/rear legroom numbers. I rechecked these number and they are correct.

As to why Volt feels cramped at the back compared to Leaf is an interesting question, given the official numbers. I think it is because - when Leaf front seat is set with zero height (to maximize headroom), you can't put the feet below the front seat and that reduces legroom.

Is there any info on how much each vehicle's battery pack weighs? I've always wondered if some mfr's have an edge in this area, or they're all pretty much the same.

BnBinSD said:
Is there any info on how much each vehicle's battery pack weighs? I've always wondered if some mfr's have an edge in this area, or they're all pretty much the same.
That would be an interesting spec to add. Most of the manufacturers have published that number.

With perhaps a ratio of the pack weight to the car's overall weight.

evnow said:
BnBinSD said:
That would be an interesting spec to add. Most of the manufacturers have published that number.

BnBinSD said:
I think what you're really interested in is the energy density of the cells. How much the pack weighs is a function of the wh/kg of the cells and how many cells you have. If you double the energy density of each cell and double the number of cells in a pack you have the same weight as you started with. IOW it's not about kg it's about kW/kg or kWh/kg and the mass of the pack per se isn't that relevant.

You'll see the biggest differences in mass at the anode.

SanDust said:
I think what you're really interested in is the energy density of the cells. How much the pack weighs is a function of the wh/kg of the cells and how many cells you have.

Only partially agree. True pack weight is a function of energy density. But it's also affected by pack structure and mechanics. In a comparative analysis, some vendor's packs are ambient cooled, air cooled from cabin AC, or liquid cooled (which might want to be added to the table as well). So in addition to wh/kg pack weight reflects a manufacturer's engineering trade-off decisions between additional pack functionality and weight trade-off considerations, including their affect on AER and potential pack lifetime.

EVNOW great work on the spec sheet. Do you really think the base model Leaf compares with the feature set of the FFE?

It's no longer in production. I believe the list is only intended to reflect those vehicles that are in or will likely be in production.
Caracalover said:
Wny no Tesla roadster? It was the first, and should get a nod.

ChargedUp said:
EVNOW great work on the spec sheet. Do you really think the base model Leaf compares with the feature set of the FFE?
Yes - out of 6 feature differences between SV & SL, FFE has only the camera. The most important difference between SV & SL is is the QC - and FFE doesn't have that. By any rational measure, FFE is closer to SV than SL.

But, this is the topic for a different thread.

IBELEAF said:
Interisting, Leaf being the first available car still has the right balance of price and specs.

Self selection much?.. I bet someone in the Volt forums would have a different opinion :)

evnow said:
JRP3 said:
Aren't most people doing better than 73 miles? The 30% hit seems a bit extreme compared to real world results.
73 miles is about 3.4 m/kwh. I think it is on the lower side - ofcourse in cold climates, driving on freeways you can go below that. But I'd say the average is better than that.

My question would be what percentage of LEAF drivers drive 70mph on the freeways/Intersates and how often? That's the ONLY way (without HVAC) they should be getting 3.4m/kW h. I would hope the average would be much higher than that if they aren't using HVAC and the freeways. I've never driven any appreciable distance yet on the freeways so I don't know for sure what I would get, but if I did use them for a longer trip, I would drive 60mph (in the rl) and go over 80 miles (on a 100% charge). I believe I could get at least 4.0 on the dash.
Oh, btw, a Toyota salesperson told me the other day that the RAV4 BEV is due out for sale mid 2012 at the same time as the newly designed 2012 RAV4 ICE. I don't really believe it, but time will tell. He had no dollar figure, but I'm going to guess it to be at least 40K+.

Back