JimSouCal

Re: Brakes "mutate" to become grabby in stop & go traffic?

Not that I want to create a problem for myself! But is this how to replicate?

1.find a hill with a slight downhill grade...
2.proceed from top of hill, at a creep, with constant brake applied at low speed.
3.continue until brake feather is not longer available, and until brakes become/are "grabby".

To end experiment, come to complete stop (at side of road). Hold brakes with sustained pressure and movement, and place in park. Fully release brake.

Maybe power cycle car?

Is that it? I have not experienced the "grab" issue, but want to know what it is...
JustinC
Delivery Date: 06 Sep 2011

Yeah, I think that's it, more or less. I don't think you need a hill, but it wouldn't hurt.
2011 Black LEAF
Jan 1, 2013 Status = [15 months] [6K miles] [12 Bars]
GroundLoop

There might be more to it. I tried to recreate it today on a very mild downhill grade, and could not.

I spent 5-10 minutes with various amounts of brake force, but didn't get any anomalies. I tried level road and mild downhill grade, but not as steep as when I first encountered it.

Hmm..
TomT
Delivery Date: 01 Mar 2011
Leaf Number: 000360

I tried it on my way home today and, somewhat to my surprise, it actually did cause the problem to disappear. I wonder how long this "cure" will hold...
garygid wrote:I will try this "fix" also:
1. LEAF not moving, probably in "D",
2. Turn Traction Control Off
3. Press brake firmly
4. Hold for 30 seconds or so
5. Vary pressure a bit to see if it is spongy or firm
6. ... notice any results!
Leaf SL 2011 to 2016, Volt Premier 2016 to 2019, and now:
2019 Tesla Model 3; LR, RWD, FSD, 19" Sport Wheels, silver/black; built 3/17/19, delivered 3/29/19.
Wattson
Delivery Date: 04 Jun 2011
Leaf Number: 3879

That's great TomT, maybe we're onto something.
You made my night!
FairwoodRed

garygid wrote:Are these "annoying" braking characteristics being reported to Nissan (877-664-2738)?

To help Nissan become aware and improve the LEAF, we should be reporting these "unexpected" vehicle control "problems".

Oddly enough when I called Nissan, they refered me back to the dealer. Even when I told them the dealer thinks the sudden and unexpected stop is "normal operation" for the Leaf. They did point me to the Nissan USA customer comment form. I sent my concerns that way, but I am not sure that they will get to the appropriate people at Nissan.

Has anyone else taken it in have a dealer look at it?

How many have tried the "fix" and did it work or not?

Follow up from the dealer. The service manager says they talked to Nissan "on tech net". I got the impression that it was a system for Nissan to inform techs of trouble, but not necessarily a way for techs to report trouble to Nissan. It took a week for the service manager to call me back after our initial phone call. He is definately backing up his service tech that these grabby brakes are normal behaviour. I'm not sure if I want to go back to this service department or not... Does anyone in the Greater Seattle area have a service department that they love?
davewill

FairwoodRed wrote:... He is definately backing up his service tech that these grabby brakes are normal behaviour. I'm not sure if I want to go back to this service department or not...
Given the number of folks that have verified the same behavior, it seems obvious that it is normal for the LEAF. The question really is whether it's acceptable. I've not found it to be dangerous, and having gotten a feel for it, I can usually avoid the circumstances.
2014 Rav4 EV, Blizzard Pearl White
2011 LEAF SL w/QC, Blue Ocean, returned at end of lease
TomT
Delivery Date: 01 Mar 2011
Leaf Number: 000360

Alas, after a couple hundred miles, it reverted to the exact same problem so clearly this is not a long-term solution. I'm still leaning toward a software bug that will ultimately require a patch to fix. It may not be dangerous per se - though an argument could be made about it increasing the possibility of being rear-ended - but I most definitely would not call it satisfactory or "normal."
TomT wrote:I tried it on my way home today and, somewhat to my surprise, it actually did cause the problem to disappear. I wonder how long this "cure" will hold...
3. Press brake firmly
Leaf SL 2011 to 2016, Volt Premier 2016 to 2019, and now:
2019 Tesla Model 3; LR, RWD, FSD, 19" Sport Wheels, silver/black; built 3/17/19, delivered 3/29/19.
JimSouCal

I got stuck late Friday night in stop and go traffic on the 405 Southbound, to Sunset, West Los Angeles. Conversely, I had almost an hour to try and intentionally generate the issue on that downhill incline, and failed to do so. Not that I am complaining or anything...
TomT wrote:Alas, after a couple hundred miles, it reverted to the exact same problem so clearly this is not a long-term solution. I'm still leaning toward a software bug that will ultimately require a patch to fix. It may not be dangerous per se - though an argument could be made about it increasing the possibility of being rear-ended - but I most definitely would not call it satisfactory or "normal."
TomT wrote:I tried it on my way home today and, somewhat to my surprise, it actually did cause the problem to disappear. I wonder how long this "cure" will hold...
3. Press brake firmly
EricBayArea
Delivery Date: 08 Oct 2011

I was in stop-and-go the other night and and I noticed it for the first time. I think it only happened once or twice and then it went away. Personally, I don't like it but if that's just the way they are I'll adjust.

FWIW My Subaru Forester has it's own quirks; When I brake in that car while in gear (it's a manual trans) and then put it in neutral, the RPMs will drop to and idle level, stay there for a second, and then a moment later they'll go up to about 2,000 and then back down. When this happens under steady brake pressure it causes the brake pressure to drop which requires me to push the brake petal further to continue the steady braking pressure. I've been told its normal behavior and after 4 years I hardly notice it any more.
Color: Cayenne Red
Plate: I PLGIN

Return to “Problems / Troubleshooting”