2012 VSP Off switch gone?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

leaf4me

In comparing the Owner's Manuals for the 2011 LEAF and the 2012 LEAF, I noticed that the VSP Off Switch is no longer shown or mentioned. I wonder if it has been removed for the 2012 model year?

Steve

I am not surprised if it turns out that it is no longer available on the 2012 Leaf. I would also not be surprised at all to find that a future software update to the 2011 Leaf disables the VSP off switch as a result of the Pedestrian Safety Enhancement Act of 2010 too.

I've been meaning to look up in the manual where it is because I thought there was supposed to be a switch in the cluster with the immediate charge button. Guess I can stop worrying about it.

rnkepler said:
I've been meaning to look up in the manual where it is because I thought there was supposed to be a switch in the cluster with the immediate charge button. Guess I can stop worrying about it.

What else is different?

How does that heated wheel feel?

leaf4me said:
In comparing the Owner's Manuals for the 2011 LEAF and the 2012 LEAF, I noticed that the VSP Off Switch is no longer shown or mentioned. I wonder if it has been removed for the 2012 model year?
Steve

Have you heard the VSP yet? I can barely hear the front one even with my windows down, and the back-up one isn't that bad either...very unobtrusive.

LEAFfan said:
leaf4me said:
Steve

Have you heard the VSP yet? I can barely hear the front one even with my windows down, and the back-up one isn't that bad either...very unobtrusive.

This isn't my experience. My wife says it sounds like an airplane landing (in a cool way, but also a loud way). Backup, too. I always feel embarrassed whenever I am backing up around people (only recently realized the VSP button also turns the backup off - hey, I'm a little slow OK?). If the disable button is removed on the next model, I think a LOT more people will be considering more permanent options.

The heated steering wheel feels nice and toasty as do the seats on cars here in Canada

kmp647 said:
rnkepler said:

What else is different?

How does that heated wheel feel?

I never spent much time at all around the 2011 model but I doubt there's much change. Apparently the VSP button has been removed and other than that the only thing I noticed between my car and the dealer demo (2011) was that they had small zero emission badges on the front doors.

Not sure the VSP button really matters since I haven't heard the forward noise while in the car and the backup noise is noticeable but minimal. Even driving around parking lots with lots of pedestrians around, I haven't seen anyone turning there head to see what that noise was.

I think they've tightened up the steering as well, although I'd have to take a test drive in a demo to be sure.

It was in the low 50s and raining when we took her home so we definitely appreciated the heated seats and steering wheel. You can feel the heat on the steering wheel cycle on and off. There's also only one button for rear seat heater.

LEAFfan said:
leaf4me said:
Steve

One almost wonders why it would be included/needed/useful if it can't be heard. How much are we paying for this lovely, useless feature?

darelldd said:
LEAFfan said:

One almost wonders why it would be included/needed/useful if it can't be heard. How much are we paying for this lovely, useless feature?
I've had Leaf owners produce the sound for me. It's not very loud yet some folks here on MNL are so dead set on turning it off every time they start, disabling it, trying to make it default to off... :roll:

darelldd said:
LEAFfan said:
leaf4me said:
Steve

If it does its job outside the car but you can't hear it inside, sounds great to me.

TickTock said:
LEAFfan said:
leaf4me said:
Steve

This isn't my experience. My wife says it sounds like an airplane landing (in a cool way, but also a loud way). Backup, too. I always feel embarrassed whenever I am backing up around people (only recently realized the VSP button also turns the backup off - hey, I'm a little slow OK?). If the disable button is removed on the next model, I think a LOT more people will be considering more permanent options.

The only time I hear it like that is when I'm pulling into the garage...the sound bounces off the walls.

The back-up part of the VSP is actually useful; I can only hear the low-speed part when I'm pulling in the garage. However, when I'm driving/sitting in a parking lot I often turn it off (just don't like the dull whirrrr).

Stanton said:
The back-up part of the VSP is actually useful; I can only hear the low-speed part when I'm pulling in the garage. However, when I'm driving/sitting in a parking lot I often turn it off (just don't like the dull whirrrr).
Does the VSP turn off when you put the LEAF in neutral/park? When the car is moving in a parking lot is a prime situation when I'd think the VSP should be on.

It took me a little while to figure out for myself that that whine wasn't the inverter. It's so subdued that I am still sneaking up on pedestrians. I have tried pulsing it on and off with the button to get their attention. Not very effective.

It really doesn't seem to do what it claims to do.

If you're in an environment where a pedestrian can't hear your wheel noise, it just doesn't seem that VSP gets their attention either.

A small "non-horn" sounder under driver control seems like the best alternative. A meep meep that is more polite than aggressive. Maybe something melodious, or a chime.

But not a full-time noisemaker

GroundLoop said:
A small "non-horn" sounder under driver control seems like the best alternative. A meep meep that is more polite than aggressive. ...

Ours came with that stock :lol:

Back