HOW TO: Daytime Running Lights (DRL) installed for $35

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
dpodoll said:
Anyone know if the dealer can turn on DRLs as a software option? Some contries require DRLs (Canada). In my ICE the dealer just selected them as a configuration option. The LEDs look better, but this wouldn't requirewiring taps.
No, the Canadian models apparently have an additional relay that's not present. Not just the relay, but there's no socket or wiring either.

If you remove the relay cover behind the passenger side headlight, you can see the missing relay location.

-Phil

See? That is what happens when you cry wolf so many times... No one believes you! :lol:
EVDRIVER said:
TomT said:
Agreed! But it clearly is another of his jokes... They DO have drugs these days that will help with his problem, by the way!
GeekEV said:
Wow, that sounds elaborate. Did you actually do that or is this one of your jokes? It's hard to tell sometimes. :lol:
It's not a joke and it works great.

Ingineer said:
I have completed a mod that is similar to EVDriver's. When the car is in Ready mode, It enables the LED low beams and fog lights (with H11 LED's in them), and also tilts the low beams up automatically, so the car is more visible. When on auto and it gets dark, they automatically tilt back down and the rest of the marker/tail lights are enabled. If you manually turn on the park lights, the DRL's shut off, even if the ignition is on.

I'll try to shoot some decent pictures soon.

My goal is to make this mod plug-and-play, so as soon as I figure it out, I'll let everyone know.

-Phil
I like the concept. Interested in the procedure and cost.

It wouldn't surprise me if it is a joke. I assumed it was until Ingineer's post. It is a drag if he is going along. Also, it isn't even near April 1st.

I can't speak for EVDriver, but mine is not a joke. Of course, people still think I'm joking when I tell them I can upgrade their EVSE to charge over twice as fast and they don't need to spend $2500 on a wall-mounted charger. :D

I'll take some pictures this weekend. I'm going to try to figure out if I can do this more elegantly too.

-Phil

I've observed the missing relay too, but the real question is how do you deal with the lack of wiring to where the relay goes? Can't wait to see any writeups...

I called joke and I'm sticking to that pronouncement until I see proof otherwise!

91040 said:
It wouldn't surprise me if it is a joke. I assumed it was until Ingineer's post. It is a drag if he is going along. Also, it isn't even near April 1st.

TomT said:
I called joke and I'm sticking to that pronouncement until I see proof otherwise!

91040 said:

Pizza Bet? I warn you I have never lost one on a forum. :ugeek:

I have to say that, while I like the idea of the headlight/DRL modification, the Superbright LEDs do look really cool. And my wife (the future principal driver of our LEAF) even likes them.

This is a very interesting debate, assuming that the headlight/DRL mod is real. I would argue (the appropriate term for the debate) that the added DRL's are a better safety option because they are in a different location from the headlights. Isn't that why the 3rd brake light (in the rear windshield) was added some 20 or 30 years ago? Perhaps I can put Phil and myself on the spot and each of us has our DRL strategy installed and running for the November SF BayLEAFs meeting. I can't just steal GeekEV's photos because my LEAF is silver :lol:

Position is important and higher is proven as better. So does focus and distance. When pointed above the stock position in the daytime the headlights are extremely visible. Yes, the mod is real, why wouldn't it be?

I did the install today--took a couple of hours and a good chunk of that time was spent routing and securing the wires (and probably spent 30 minutes trying to decide where to route them). A couple of things: I ran only 1 red wire into the PCM through a 1/8" hole that I drilled in the well. I tried out the blue quick splice connectors beforehand and found them to be unreliable with the kit wires. So, I used a red quick splice (meant for 18-22 gauge wires) to hook into wire 57. This worked first time like a charm, and I was able to read 13.4 Volts between the spliced wire and ground with ignition on. I taped the red supply wire on the inside of the well to act as a modest strain relief. I decided to use a chassis ground for the black wire, and found a convenient one nearby at the radiator overflow tank. After running wires down to the driver side DRL, I used two more of the red quick splices to make connections for the passenger side DRL. Only about 0.1 V difference between the two DRLs so I figured that there wasn't enough voltage drop through the extra passenger-side wiring to matter. I did wrap the two splices near the DRL with electrical tape to try to keep them somewhat weatherproof. They look good and survived washing the car later in the day.

Here's a picture of the LED fog light at dusk:

pic

You can see the really "blue" look that the LED units have. Matches the LED headlights very well!

Here's some more rather crappy pictures at night:

pic

The Headlight switch is in the off position, but the car is in ready mode. So my mod adjusts the LED low beams higher than you can normally adjust by the dash control, then engages only the LED low beams and the (now) LED fogs. The marker/tail lights and interior illumination is not on. When the headlight control is left in auto at night, or turned to any position other than "off" the DRL function is disengaged and the adjustment motors go back to the default setting as chosen on the dash control.

pic

It's definitely hard to get good night shots of lights with a cheap cam, but it looks killer compared to the yellowish original fog look.

Please don't ask me for any "how-to's", it's messy and not ready for prime-time. I'm going to try to refine it a bit before offering it.

-Phil

Ingineer said:
The Headlight switch is in the off position, but the car is in ready mode. So my mod adjusts the LED low beams higher than you can normally adjust by the dash control, then engages only the LED low beams and the (now) LED fogs.
Just curious: in what situations do you plan on using this mode of lighting?

aqn said:
Ingineer said:
The Headlight switch is in the off position, but the car is in ready mode. So my mod adjusts the LED low beams higher than you can normally adjust by the dash control, then engages only the LED low beams and the (now) LED fogs.

It's a DRL. That is the entire point, it is on during the day and there is no need to ever touch the switches as it is all auto.

Ingineer said:
aqn said:
EVDRIVER said:
It's a DRL. That is the entire point, it is on during the day and there is no need to ever touch the switches as it is all auto.
Wouldn't he need to manually turn on the headlights at night (to not have the LEDs aimed super-high)? Without the mod, one doesn't need to manually turn on the headlights at night because it comes on by itself, correct? (I have a SV, so all I know about "auto" headlights is what I read from the manual.)

Edit: so is the point of this mod to have more visible "automatic" DRL, foregoing the "autolights" feature (since one has to turn on the headlights manually at night)?

aqn said:
Edit: so is the point of this mod to have more visible "automatic" DRL, foregoing the "autolights" feature (since one has to turn on the headlights manually at night)?
I don't think Ingineer said you have to manually turn the headlights on at night... He said that it changes back to normal behavior when left in auto mode at night; i.e. it senses night mode and disables the DRL aspect of the mod, so you can just leave it in auto all the time.

Back