Tein "Street Basis" coilovers

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
adrianco said:
I didn't see any way to adjust the camber, I will get an alignment when I finish messing with the ride height.
Yeah - will probably need camber bolts to adjust camber in the front.

adrianco said:
I will take the advice to use the shorter bump stops, put the rubber back in and set the rear slightly higher. I like the way the front is. I will set the height up a bit more, since we run on bumpy mountain roads.
I just checked stock ride height - 16" front and 15 3/8" rear - am a bit disappointed that the just over 1" lower in the rear you are running into bump travel issues.

adrianco said:
The ride is much stiffer, but not unreasonable compared to our sports cars.
So similar to your stock Lotus Elise? What else can you compare it to? Ride quality is so subjective - I've daily driven overly lowered cars before (had WRX w/lowering springs too low in the rear - was horrendous over large bumps on the freeway - just short of painful - which were barely acknowledged on the stock setup - had to go with different springs which were 1/2" higher which made a big difference).

adrianco said:
Thanks for the video, that course looks like a long high speed slalom, the courses I run are always very tight...
That was a Porsche club auto-x event - speeds are higher and course is longer than your typical SCCA auto-x course.

The only adjustment for camber is loosening the top 3 bolts of the strut housing and moving it in or out. Not sure how much adjustment it yields though. or you can install camber bolts. Once I get the wheel spacers installed I'll dial in the ride height again and get it aligned and see what the numbers look like.

drees said:
adrianco said:
The ride is much stiffer, but not unreasonable compared to our sports cars.
So similar to your stock Lotus Elise? What else can you compare it to? Ride quality is so subjective - I've daily driven overly lowered cars before (had WRX w/lowering springs too low in the rear - was horrendous over large bumps on the freeway - just short of painful - which were barely acknowledged on the stock setup - had to go with different springs which were 1/2" higher which made a big difference).

My Elise is probably as non-stock as you could get, but that's a discussion that belongs on another forum :)

We also have a 2009 Boxster S, I think the Tein-Leaf is about the same ride as default mode, but not as harsh as sport mode on the Boxster. I don't know if that helps anyone else know what it feels like, but at least that car is stock... The Boxster was an expensive to run high milage commute car for Laurel, she's now driving the Leaf almost every day, hence the desire to make it more fun to drive.

I did find that traction control triggers more often on mountain roads with the stiffer setup, the "watt" pedal (can't call it the gas pedal) kind of goes dead for a second when that happens, so I turned it off.

adrianco said:
My Elise is probably as non-stock as you could get, but that's a discussion that belongs on another forum :)
Heh - I wouldn't object to hearing/reading about it if you have the information handy. :)

adrianco said:
We also have a 2009 Boxster S, I think the Tein-Leaf is about the same ride as default mode, but not as harsh as sport mode on the Boxster. I don't know if that helps anyone else know what it feels like, but at least that car is stock...
My co-worker has a Cayman that's a few years old so similar age. Doesn't have the S model or the 19" wheels, but I found the ride to be very good - so if the ride of your Boxster S is similar to the Caymen and similar to the LEAF on coilovers, I'd be quite happy.

adrianco said:
The Boxster was an expensive to run high milage commute car for Laurel, she's now driving the Leaf almost every day, hence the desire to make it more fun to drive.
My goal as well - coming from a lightly modified WRX.

adrianco said:
I did find that traction control triggers more often on mountain roads with the stiffer setup, the "watt" pedal (can't call it the gas pedal) kind of goes dead for a second when that happens, so I turned it off.
Need stickier tires. :) Maybe the Ecopia EP100s would stick a bit better without giving up any efficiency compared to the stock EP422s. Since the likely-hood of your LEAF making it to Tahoe and mine to Big Bear is about 0% it's probably a safe compromise. Though you do get a light dusting in the hills there on rare occasion, I imagine your other cars are equipped with summer tires.

drees said:
adrianco said:
We also have a 2009 Boxster S, I think the Tein-Leaf is about the same ride as default mode, but not as harsh as sport mode on the Boxster. I don't know if that helps anyone else know what it feels like, but at least that car is stock...
My co-worker has a Cayman that's a few years old so similar age. Doesn't have the S model or the 19" wheels, but I found the ride to be very good - so if the ride of your Boxster S is similar to the Caymen and similar to the LEAF on coilovers, I'd be quite happy.
My "other car" is a Porsche CS on 19s with PASM. If the LEAF can be made to handle more like the soft setting on the PASM of the CS, this is something I will do. Already did leather, and just need tint and ride. Thanks to those who are leading the charge and providing a reference from the ELISE and P-cars... :cool:

adrianco said:
What's the difference between Ecopia EP100 and EP422 in practice? Has anyone done back-to-back comparisons?
If one believes the Bridgestone Americas Web site, the EP100 has the same "Fuel Efficiency" ranking as the EP422, and a tick higher in "Dry Performance" and a tick lower in "Wet Performance". The ranking (none to 10) is rather coarse. I suspect comparing those tires' performance is akin to comparing the epicurean qualities of the Big Mac versus the Whopper: doable and probably fun, but possibly pointless.

Also, I thought I saw a comparo on tirerack.com between those two tires, but can't find it just now.

Leaf Pictures from the AutoX http://aperture-arts.smugmug.com/Ot...anta-Clara/19434209_R6M5D6#1521033860_R2WkCCr

DSC9175-M.jpg

I reworked the installation last night, based on the advice from nader I switched to the short bump stops at the back when I fixed the missing rubber upper spring mounts. I didn't need to take the wheels off, just undid the top nut on the shocks and jacked up both sides of the car at the back.

I guessed a new height setting at the rear that worked out, and wound the front up about an inch. After a shakedown drive the heights were 15" in the front and 14" in the rear measured center to the wheel arch. The actual ground clearance is 4.5" all the way from the front to the back, so the car floor is parallel to the road. That might help aerodynamics a bit as well. Boxster is 4.25" on same measure.

At the rear I set both adjusters to the same level before I installed them, with 5 threads showing on the end that goes into the spring.
At the front I set both sides to show 12 threads below the spring and adjuster rings. I'm running 39lbs in the front tires 37lbs rear at the moment to see how that works out.

The ride is now smoother and quieter (vs. the lower front setting and missing rear rubber). Compared to the Boxster I think the Leaf is probably a bit stiffer than the standard setting on the Boxster, but the seats and tire sidewalls are much softer, so subjectively it feels more comfortable.

It's now back to duty as a daily commute car.

Maybe the BayLeaf group should organize an Electric AutoX at the same location? I haven't made it to a BayLeaf meeting yet...

The rear settled a bit after the last update, was hitting the bump stops too often, so last night I took it back up an inch and it's much happier now.

Measuring ~14.5" front and back from top of wheel arch to center of wheel now. The front settled half an inch but still seems ok, the back settled more than that.

Too hard to adjust the coils in place, so I undid the strut top nuts (again) and jacked up the car with the wheels on until the springs dropped out.

I set the green rings flush with the end of the black threaded part this time, seems to work about right with that setting.

I had a similar experience. Once i dialed in the ride height to tein specs the ride was actually really nice.

For looks i cranked them down almost all the way and am going to try that for a bit. Looks a lot more aggressive especially with a 30mm spacer in the rear. I just have to drive like I have a lowered car now. Carefully.

6265086484_a575a6e526_b.jpg

6265088584_21c0fed101_b.jpg

Very nice.

Off topic, looks like you completed out the headlight mod (dechrome) but have you posted what wheels you are using(or at least in the pictures)?

18x7.5, 43mm offset, 5Zigen GN+ with Falken 225/40/18
30mm spacer in the rear. I have a 20mm spacer for the front but havent installed it yet.

Nader, your Leaf is the coolest looking one I've see so far. If a Leaf had to be chosen to represent this forum, yours would get my vote. Very nice.

nader said:
For looks i cranked them down almost all the way and am going to try that for a bit. Looks a lot more aggressive especially with a 30mm spacer in the rear.
Sure does look great all the way down. Too bad there isn't enough bump travel to keep the ride quality decent at that height since even at the lowest setting I can see how one would want to go even lower. Seems like many stock vehicles have similar fender gaps as your lowered LEAF (the WRX/STi behind yours appears to be at stock height and only slightly higher) - the stock LEAF looks like a 4x4 but does ride like butter. :)

Agreed. Now that I tested a few wheel fit options I'm going to run a set of 18x9, 35mm offset Enkei RPF1's with 225/40/18. The back can fit it perfect. The front will require a mild fender roll.

I've found a solution in the way of a custom coilover setup. Once it's developed I'll be selling my Tein setup. If anyone is interested let me know.

racerkit said:
nader said:
18x7.5, 43mm offset, 5Zigen GN+ with Falken 225/40/18
30mm spacer in the rear. I have a 20mm spacer for the front but havent installed it yet.

Nice...
How is your efficiency affect by your setup?

About a 20-25% hit on range.

nader said:
I've found a solution in the way of a custom coilover setup. Once it's developed I'll be selling my Tein setup. If anyone is interested let me know.
I'll be interested - depending on how your custom setup turns out. :) Got details on that yet?

Back