New wheels and vinyl job

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nader

Here are my latest work in progress pics. I removed the chrome lip on the bumper and wrapped it with 3M matte black vinyl and also vinyled the center section of the bumper. I then wrapped the hood with 3M Di-noc CF vinyl. This stuff is crazy. It looks like dry carbon fiber and is textured. Pretty amazing stuff. It also doubles as hood protection. No clear bra here! I like the vinyl on the bumper but I may remove the hood vinyl and do the roof instead. The CF vinyl seems to highlight how short the hood is. Looks like a short nose with a long body.

I also put on some 18x7.5, 43mm offset, 5Zigen GN+ wheels with Falken 255/40/18 tires. I am not happy with the stance and have wheel spacers on order. 30mm for the rear and a 20mm for the front. The front is is a spacer with new wheel studs and the rear bolts on to the stock studs. They are basically for a 370z. I took a chance on order the front 370z kit, which has the same thread pitch (12x1.25) but I wasn't sure on the knurling of the stock studs though so I went with the what the Z uses. 14mm. I hope it's right.

I'm also looking into getting the ride height lower. I can take the coilovers a little lower but not too much as ride quality will deteriorate. Hope to have more pics with spacers installed later this week.

Oh installed some Hella H11 amber fog light bulbs too. I've always been a sucker for the the cool blue headlight and amber fog combo.

img_2630.jpg

img_2636_7_8.jpg

img_2643.jpg

img_2649_50_51.jpg

Nice! I can't tell from the photos whether you've done leather seats but if you haven't - http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=37&t=5963" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; they're great.

I am running the H&R 20mm spacer set for a 350z on my LEAF with my Volks and it is working great. I have had them on for 8000 miles and I checked the torque of the adapter nuts when I rotated tires recently and they were all holding torque.

Skywagon said:
I am running the H&R 20mm spacer set for a 350z on my LEAF with my Volks and it is working great. I have had them on for 8000 miles and I checked the torque of the adapter nuts when I rotated tires recently and they were all holding torque.

Awesome. The 18" mazdaspeed volks?

I tried a 15mm bolt on kit but my wheels don't have reliefs on the rear of the mounting face so the stock studs were interfering. That's why I am going with replacement longer studs and a 20mm spacer up front. The 30mm in the rear is a bolt and should clear the stock studs.

nader said:
Skywagon said:

Awesome. The 18" mazdaspeed volks?

I tried a 15mm bolt on kit but my wheels don't have reliefs on the rear of the mounting face so the stock studs were interfering. That's why I am going with replacement longer studs and a 20mm spacer up front. The 30mm in the rear is a bolt and should clear the stock studs.

No, I'm running them with the TE16's (16x7), running 20mm front and rear. Volk wheels have reliefs and the bolt-on kit fits great.

2 questions:
-Are you running different parking lights from stock?
-Where did you buy vinyl from and did you do it yourself?

I just got my red leaf and want to put a black vinyl strip over the chrome piece in the front. Want to know where to pick some up.

The parking light bulbs are 194 LED replacements in a cooler color temp. In the 5500k range I believe.

I installed the vinyl myself and purchased it from Stickercity.com After watching the install videos I figured I'd give it a try.

Appreciation. Next time I'm in Fresno if I see a tricked-out vinyl-wrapped Leaf, I'll know whose it is ;)

Looks good! What's your ride height now and what are you aiming for? I'd guess at least another inch lower since you appear to be going for "hella flush" fitment with the spacers - how are you going to that low while maintaining ride quality?

I'm running at the Tein recommended height up front and just a few mm higher in the rear. The front has room go, it's the rear that is the limiting factor at this point. I'm looking into a replacement shock body for the rear. To be clear this kit is not designed for those who want to slam the car. If you want a mild drop and a sportier ride then it's great.

nader said:
I'm running at the Tein recommended height up front and just a few mm higher in the rear.
What fender/hub measurement is that again?
nader said:
The front has room go, it's the rear that is the limiting factor at this point. I'm looking into a replacement shock body for the rear.
Got it - without the spring/shock in there how much more bump travel is there? Got any leads on a shorter shock? How does the length of the Tein shock compare to the stock unit?
nader said:
To be clear this kit is not designed for those who want to slam the car. If you want a mild drop and a sportier ride then it's great.
Sounds like what I'm after - something around 1.5" lower would be good - fender/hub measurement around 14.25-14.5"...

nader said:
360mm F/ 365mm R or 14.15"F/14.37"R
Thanks!
nader said:
I'll be looking for similar overall length but with a shorter body. I dont have measurements of the shocks but I took pics comparing stock vs. Tein.
http://www.naderassemi.com/galleries/nissan-leaf-suspension/
Weird - just eyeballing it, the Tein shock body is significantly longer than the stock one by appx 2" - but appx 2" shorter in length - so it's giving up 2" of droop travel and 2" of bump travel as the motion ratio for the rear shocks is appx 1:1.

I'd bet that you could get back a bunch of bump travel by swapping in the stock rear shocks - but the droop travel is likely enough that the springs would no longer remain captive... Of course it'd probably bounce like a mexican jumping bean in the rear as the stock shocks would be completely overpowered by the significantly stiffer springs...

What does the stock setup use for bump-stops? Is there a bump-stop integrated into the dust cover?

I wonder why Tein reduced bump travel so much - maybe to keep the spring collars from hitting the upper mount under compression? Would have to play with the rear suspension with the spring removed to see what they were thinking - or maybe they just used an available shock that was "close enough". Seems like a major oversight...

you are right about the rear shocks. I know they are shorter overall so that the springs don't fall out in the event that someone decides to crank the ride height all the way down but i can't figure out why the body is longer.

I thought about putting the rears in but they would likely blowout in no time. You are also right about the bumpstop being integrated in the dust boot.

I've emailed them about the rear shocks and an engineer is looking into to it.

nader said:
I also put on some 18x7.5, 43mm offset, 5Zigen GN+ wheels with Falken 255/40/18 tires.
Have you noticed a hit to range with the larger, non-eco tires?

Looks great though! The CF hood sticker should make the car faster. :lol:

I covered 80% of my Miata with that vinyl carbonfiber for the car shows..I made some C.fiber letters and also covered that chrome strip in front on the Leaf with it..
IM afraid if i do any more I may cover the entire car :lol: but I just love the red color

Back