Chicagoland area

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
bigtlb said:
redLEAF said:
First PR notice I've seen by a Chicago area Nissan dealer ... I bought a car from a VW dealer in Libertyville back in '88 (a Brazilian made VW Fox) but haven't had any recent experience out that way. Anyone else stop by this dealer ?

http://www.prlog.org/10772338-chicago-nissan-leaf-to-be-synchronized-with-smartphones.html

Greetings All!

I am new to the board (just registered today). I have put my location on the Leaf map though. I have an early Leaf reservation, and can't wait! I've been waiting for a decent EV for years (I lurked on the Aptera Forum forever, but gave up on that vehicle about a year ago).

I am mildly concerned about what the winter weather (and road conditions) will do to battery range. I have a 60 mile round-trip daily commute.

I have used Libertyville VW for an oil change in my 2006 Beetle TDI, they were very friendly and prompt. This is near my workplace, so I would definitely consider them for purchase. If they get a charging point (maybe a fast charger) that would be sweet! It would also alleviate range anxiety for those Gurnee Mills runs from downtown.

BTW: I still plan on keeping my diesel beetle (can't beat 40 mpg) for those long trips.

Welcome -- Welcome -- Welcome

With how late the LEAF will finally arrive here I'm pleased to see there are more of us from the midwest still interested !!! :D

On your comments about Libertyville VW (it's actually Liberty Auto Plaza as you'll see below)

I wasn't sure that the Nissan dealer was connected with VW as when I bought my '88 it was on the other side of the street --- it is however now as:

http://www.libertyautoplaza.com/

so your more recent experience (not sure when they merged) should hold true. I actually also owned a TDI New Beetle (the first year out, a '98); it was a great little car but we outgrew it (back seat is really just for kids). Being a diesel, it did hold its value quite well and traded it in on a (new at the time) '06 Mazda3 5-door hatch which may be the car the Nissan LEAF replaces when they do finally arrive out this way. The Mazda3 doesn't get the mileage of the TDI but it holds tons of stuff and carries 4 adult size people with relative comfort and has proven to be very inexpensive to maintain versus the VW.

As far as the add on post as to what other EV's were being considered, the Tesla Model S sedan would have been great but I was hoping for a more main stream mfg (like Nissan) to become available. We do own another very small car (an '08 smart fortwo coupe) which will go to my son here very soon -- the smart ED (pardon the puns -- ED is for Electric Drive not the other thing, they really should have stuck to EV) looked promising but at such a high lease only price, just not a good value. The new to U.S. Fiat 500 EV will be out later than the LEAF (2012/13?) and others should be to market from other carmakers but nothing appears to come close to what Nissan has that I've seen yet.

As far as the cold weather -- not a concern for me as it will typically be stored overnight in a heated garage while it's charging, I have heard that Nissan is actively testing how extreme cold will effect battery range, etc. so perhaps that's another reason for the delay to colder weather states (although TN does get the occasional frost and snow, it's nowhere near as cold as Chicago most times).

Being a TDI owner, I'm sure you've properly prepared for winters with anti-gel additives (although the 1.9 TDI engine has fuel pre-heaters); the LEAF won't need these as its a pure EV but many in the far extreme north still 'plug-in' their engine heaters so the crankcase oil doesn't thicken so much -- could be some similar cautions for the LEAF but still too early to tell. I would think the cold will simply be something that will shorten the range (like extreme heat) and nothing else.

The car crankcase/engine block ones are 120V and vary on watt output but typical ones are 600W to 900W; those used in HVAC are 115V/208V/277V and 70W and are used to keep refrig components from freezing. If you've ever been to northern climates, you'll see a standard AC plug hanging out from the front grill of some cars and especially pick-up trucks that reside outside and plug-in outlets on posts outside some stores are available. Great wiki-article with a link to a mfg brochure below:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Block_heater

I've seen these throughout Canada, the Dakota's, Alaska as well as other areas -- on many ICE cars, an engine block heater is a necessary option if the vehicle stays out during sub-zero weather for extended periods of time.

I kind of know what you're thinking -- if only it was higher voltage! Well, some RV parks have the necessary higher voltage (I've seen stories of someone traveling the west coast in a Tesla Roadster) but with typical regular line voltage it would just take too long.

Well, they might not be individually fused/brakered, so the Level 1 EVSE (120v) might be able to draw 12 amps (1440 watts), as if it was two heaters?

Instant infrastructure to plug in "many" places?

And, it that works, maybe one can draw 15 or 16 amps, if the LEAF will "eat" that much.

If possible, that gets one a very useful half-charge during an 8-hour workday. Or, with the 12-amps, a helpful 1/3 charge!

Just stopped by Libertyville VW to get my Beetle TDI worked on. While I was there I asked the Nissan guys about their absence as a Certified Nissan Leaf Dealer in the "Find a Dealer" section of the dashboard (not red push pins or location marked Liberty Auto Plaza).

They said they most certainly were a Certified Nissan Leaf Dealer, already had some preorders, and if there was any problems choosing them on the dashboard to let them know. The guy I talked to said they also took delivery of one of the first 3 GT-R's in the country when they came out.

But, the error might be due to the fact that they are known by multiple names (and have the web sites to prove it).

Libertyville Nissan
Liberty Auto Plaza
Liberty Import Center

The dashboard only lists Liberty Import Center, but when I called Nissan Leaf support, the rep said the site might not be up to date. Since, it allowed me to pick them anyway (with the blue push pin), that's what I did.

The manager I spoke with DID confirm, the cold weather package is one of the reasons for the later rollout in Illinois.

bigtlb said:
Just stopped by Libertyville VW to get my Beetle TDI worked on. While I was there I asked the Nissan guys about their absence as a Certified Nissan Leaf Dealer in the "Find a Dealer" section of the dashboard (not red push pins or location marked Liberty Auto Plaza).

They said they most certainly were a Certified Nissan Leaf Dealer, already had some preorders, and if there was any problems choosing them on the dashboard to let them know. The guy I talked to said they also took delivery of one of the first 3 GT-R's in the country when they came out.

But, the error might be due to the fact that they are known by multiple names (and have the web sites to prove it).

Libertyville Nissan
Liberty Auto Plaza
Liberty Import Center

The dashboard only lists Liberty Import Center, but when I called Nissan Leaf support, the rep said the site might not be up to date. Since, it allowed me to pick them anyway (with the blue push pin), that's what I did.

The manager I spoke with DID confirm, the cold weather package is one of the reasons for the later rollout in Illinois.

Interesting thanks. They're 2nd closest to me. Did they say they'd sell for invoice like Fontana? :)

bigtlb said:

Libertyville Nissan
Liberty Auto Plaza
Liberty Import Center

How could they have 'pre-orders'? There's no way, unless they're counting people walking in and plopping down a deposit which will do them no good unless they make a reservation with deposit on Nissan's website.

Ualdriver said:
Interesting thanks. They're 2nd closest to me. Did they say they'd sell for invoice like Fontana? :)

Fontana is selling at $1K off MSRP, not at Invoice. North Bay Nissan was the first to sell at 5% off MSRP, and Rairdon's of Auburn, WA was the first to offer $100 below Invoice plus accessories at Invoice.

leaffan said:
Ualdriver said:

Fontana is selling at $1K off MSRP, not at Invoice. North Bay Nissan was the first to sell at 5% off MSRP, and Rairdon's of Auburn, WA was the first to offer $100 below Invoice plus accessories at Invoice.

OK thanks. Rairdon seems to be the cheapest. They're my favorite dealer now :)

leaffan said:
How could they have 'pre-orders'? There's no way, unless they're counting people walking in and plopping down a deposit which will do them no good unless they make a reservation with deposit on Nissan's website.

I am not sure about that. Unless he meant they had placed advanced orders to have on-hand inventory when the Leaf's were available. It sounded strange to me, but I didn't have that much time to discuss the issue in detail, because I had to get back to work.

The title on the survey e-mail from them is:

Curt Biron
Sales Manager
Liberty Import Center

This was the person I spoke with.

I will just be happy with a hassle free MSRP dealer. My major concern is having a dealership close to either my work or home, that I can trust and get to quickly, if there is a problem.

Browsing Nissan dealership reviews in my area has been disheartening. I understand that the majority of the people who make a review are those who have an axe to grind. But, the Nissan dealers seem to get more negative reviews than comparable VW dealers I have checked on the same systems.

At least with Liberty, I have already gone to them for VW service and have come away happy each time. They were professional, courteous, and offered me a complimentary loaner when they wouldn't have the work done the same day.

bigtlb said:
At least with Liberty, I have already gone to them for VW service and have come away happy each time. They were professional, courteous, and offered me a complimentary loaner when they wouldn't have the work done the same day.

I think that is your best reference right there! :)

Nothing posted here in awhile as we're in the later waves of availability for the LEAF, although this posting was just a bit overly optimistic on when the Chicago area will actually see the new LEAF ...

" Your Nissan dealers in Chicago expect to have the LEAF available for sale at the end of 2010 " .. of course it didn't mention when to expect delivery so I guess not totally untrue ..

http://libertyvillenissanblog.com/lance-armstrong-vouches-for-nissan-leaf-on-twitter/

redLEAF said:
Nothing posted here in awhile as we're in the later waves of availability for the LEAF, although this posting was just a bit overly optimistic on when the Chicago area will actually see the new LEAF ...

" Your Nissan dealers in Chicago expect to have the LEAF available for sale at the end of 2010 " .. of course it didn't mention when to expect delivery so I guess not totally untrue ..

http://libertyvillenissanblog.com/lance-armstrong-vouches-for-nissan-leaf-on-twitter/

Are buyers in the Chicago area going to be able to place an order before the end of 2010? I just assumed we wouldn't get the Leaf until the end of 2011 and we would get to order a few months before that.

When are the first Leaf buyers in the country supposed to get theirs? I would imagine it's soon, huh?

I contacted the manager of a local Nissan dealership in the Twin Cities to ask:
  • Will a LEAF be displayed at the March Auto Show in Minneapolis?
  • When do they expect the LEAF to be available in this region?

Got several answers:
  • We hope so
  • December 2011

Pipemajor said:
I contacted the manager of a local Nissan dealership in the Twin Cities to ask:
  • Will a LEAF be displayed at the March Auto Show in Minneapolis?
  • When do they expect the LEAF to be available in this region?

Got several answers:
  • We hope so
  • December 2011
Auto show will have a car and not sure on the 2nd question

Good news for Chicago area EV enthusiasts --- last year Fisker and the Fiat 500 EV were also on display, hopefully these won't just be 'static' displays having locked cars on pedestals but at least we'll get to see them!

"The major players in all-electric cars, Nissan Leaf and Chevrolet Volt, aren’t yet available nationwide but are making their way into more markets. Both the Leaf and Volt will be on display at the Chicago Auto Show in February along with the Honda Fit EV, and two electric Ford models: the 2012 Focus Electric and the Transit Connect Electric."

Link to complete story below ...

http://news.medill.northwestern.edu/chicago/news.aspx?id=177330

And another about charging stations in and around Chicago, can't believe that IL is in the 'top 5' for charging stations in the US !! :

http://news.medill.northwestern.edu/chicago/news.aspx?id=177382

Attended the Chicago Auto Show yesterday and actually came away a bit disappointed on the LEAF --- static display on one of those plexi-glass knee-high pedestal's At least did see it 'in person' and happened to be there while the spokesmodel was talking (the pedestal was just big enough for the car so she had to stand in front out it!). In person, the car does appear a bit bigger than I thought (bigger than my '06 Mazda3 hatch anyway); the rear isn't very 'graceful' (quite a bustle for lack of a better word) and the headlights are quite a statement -- the car shown was the typical shade of blue however Nissan had a new red Juke nearby under the same lights so I could easily imagine it in my preferred color. Nissan was rather low key at this show; at least much lower than other mfg's ---

Chevy went full-tilt with a ride along of a number of Volt's on an indoor 'park like' test track -- they also had several cars in different colors that were unlocked and available to check out inside and out, along with of course several other 'new' Chevy's (Camaro convertible among others). After sitting both front and back I was impressed, the materials could be a bit higher grade but it was a pretty good, not $41K good but good! I happen to also like the Caddy CTS Sport Wagon which was of course has a much higher grade of both utility and materials -- much different mission but after all these are all 'vehicles' and it's amazing the choices that we all have to pick from, GM is really trying hard this year and we should give them some credit (at least this attempt in the midwest).

Ford showed the 2012 Focus, but they pulled the EV version after 'first night' (a premier black-tie event for charity - $250/person); the ICE Focus was actually a nice looking car, inside and out, decent room and very modern (especially the hatch which they say will be the only version for the EV). The Ford Marketing folks say they do want to 'beat' the LEAF to the Chicago market this fall so we'll see, also, the target is close to $30K (not $40K) --- other EV's from last year were no shows (Tesla, Fisker) but all the hybrids new and old were in full force.

The smart ED (someone in marketing perhaps did this on purpose?) was actually a great idea for smart as most compaints center around the transmission shifts so electric drive single speed works great; just a bit too expensive (we own an '08) although an awful shade of green -- not a real great show for EV's but this being Chicago we have a way to go ...

Hi redLeaf, I`m from Oak Brook now living in San Diego. Not surpising that Nissan took a low key approach. They had the same display as you described at the most recent L A auto show. They will ultimately schedule a drive event in your area and that is worthwhile. I believe that the Leaf, with a winter package, will do fine in Chicago if you have an attached garage and do not leave it outside overnight during the winter. NOTHING should be left outside during the winter in Chicago! I have a leaf on order and believe that Nissan has put, by far, the most thought( compared to other car companies) into the production of an EV.

I'm not sure what the rollout timing is (still not a lot of cars available), but Hertz will be renting LEAFs in New York, Washington, DC and San Francisco initially, with plans to introduce the LEAF in more markets throughout 2011. I would imagine later 2011, rather than earlier based on production but Chicago could certainly be in their second wave. This could actually give you an opportunity to rent the car before you place an order (or even get to reserve, if you haven't already) to make sure it will work for you.

Hertz has a one page EV rental site up. You will need to register for info it looks like.

Thanks for the link LEAFguy; I plan on doing a bit of travel this coming year so if Hertz happens to offer these when the time comes I'll be sure to rent one. On a similar note, the Ford Rep did reiterate that they will partner with Best Buy on the charging stations for the home as well as Chicago will be gearing up for many more charge stations in and around the city so perhaps we're just a bit behind ... we could also have an added incentive tax break (stands at $4K now, but its not specific to an EV purchased from a mfg, more like for a converted EV, go figure!) when all the production EV's finally do arrive out this way ... we'll all be watching closely as well as checking this forum

Back