Stereo and/or speaker upgrade recommendation

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FremontRider

Hi all. Fourth posts for me...and cannot wait to be a be"leaf"er when I get my car on October 12. I've been following many posts here already and they are all very helpful. I already ordered my upgraded horn, my "ELECTRIC" emblem, find my tinter, and perhaps leather installer. I have my Ecotality/EVSE installed by Meandal which I highly recommend.

One thing that I cannot find anywhere is what stereo and/or speaker upgrade is the best for the LEAF. It seems like nobody has done these mods yet. I do not plan to have a subwoofer since it will just add weight.

FremontRider said:
Hi all. Fourth posts for me...and cannot wait to be a be"leaf"er when I get my car on October 12. I've been following many posts here already and they are all very helpful. I already ordered my upgraded horn, my "ELECTRIC" emblem, find my tinter, and perhaps leather installer. I have my Ecotality/EVSE installed by Meandal which I highly recommend.

One thing that I cannot find anywhere is what stereo and/or speaker upgrade is the best for the LEAF. It seems like nobody has done these mods yet. I do not plan to have a subwoofer since it will just add weight.

There are several threads, did you try a simple search for "speaker upgrade"?

There are several threads, did you try a simple search for "speaker upgrade"?[/quote]

I did...I used the search function with no luck. I saw a speaker change thread but did not see speaker model and stereo model recommendations

FremontRider said:

I did...I used the search function with no luck. I saw a speaker change thread but did not see speaker model and stereo model recommendations[/quote]

Use the google search function. You can't upgrade the stereo only the speakers and add an amp. you are about to get a bunch of opinions soon-

EVDRIVER said:
FremontRider said:

I did...I used the search function with no luck. I saw a speaker change thread but did not see speaker model and stereo model recommendations

Use the google search function. You can't upgrade the stereo only the speakers and add an amp. you are about to get a bunch of opinions soon-[/quote]

Thanks!!! The google search function did help and provided much better search results.

Hi, welcome! A few people have upgraded their speakers - check some of the threads in this section: http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewforum.php?f=36" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Technically, you *could* upgrade the stereo, you'd just lose a LOT of functionality in doing so (energy consumption display, LOTS of configuration/settings/options including charging timers, all carwings functions, some options related to climate control, etc.etc.etc.etc.etc.etc....... You'd be effectively crippling much of the car's functionality.
For me, even with a relatively high-end audio build, I still chose to retain the head unit and use a line level converter. The output is actually pretty clean up to 4-5 bars from max volume (5 bars on maximized outputs like sine waves, usually 4 bars will work without clipping on normally recorded music), so if you get a nice line output converter it still gives you a reasonable signal. Doesn't fix the substandard user interface, but... well, it is what it is :)

Having said that, I've often wondered if a savvy developer could develop an android app and associated expansion box to interface with those functions, then connect to an android-based headset. I bet that could be made to work, though it might be a bit expensive.

Back