Cargo Organizer?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Packet

Does anyone have experience with the best cargo-organization options for the LEAF? Ideally to keep a number of grocery bags from falling over and/or sliding around while driving, while also still having a place to put the L1 EVSE.

There's Nissan's own cargo organizer, of course, and I might go pick that up, but it looks like it's not necessarily the most efficient use of the space, especially since you can't move it out of the way easily if you want to put more in the LEAF. Plus, it's $200 to pick up after delivery! I tried picking up a collapsible mesh-net-web thing at Target about three weeks ago (so that if I didn't need it, I could just unhook it and lump it off to one side), but that didn't seem to fit the trunk correctly. I thought about using S-hooks as demonstrated in a Tips-and-Tricks thread here, but that limits how many bags I can organize to the number of clips on the back of the LEAF's seat.

I may just throw in the towel and go pick up Nissan's cargo holder, but I thought I'd see if anyone had better suggestions.

The Nissan cargo holder works pretty well. If you don't have it installed (screwed down), you can just set it in the back so that it's possible to remove it. It hasn't moved around or scratched up my cargo area. It's a little too heavy and awkward to be taking in and out often, but you can take it out if you really need to.

I have the Nissan cargo organizer and it's not bad. I like that it has two separate compartments and it's actually not a bad use of the space. I haven't bolted mine down so I can take it out easily for home depot trips. It's very nice to have the trunk level flat with the battery hump and the folded down rear seats as well.

What I dislike about the Nissan option is that it isn't hinged and it provides no locking/fastening like the trunk of the Prius. However, in the Prius the space under the trunk cover is much shallower and it is just one big compartment. Still, I'd have preferred a hinged option because sometimes the cover pieces for the Nissan unit slide off and it's a pain to realign them when you're trying to load stuff into the car. The two DIY options to remedy that would be to install hinges yourself or to cut the little rope that keeps it attached to the plastic bin so you could at least remove both covers and just use it as two different deep bins.

Right now I use the left (larger) bin for the first aid kit and emergency supplies, and also for the L1 charger and extension cords etc. It's nice to be able to throw that stuff in there without worrying about getting it in the little L1 backpack thing or getting the car completely filthy.

Devin said:
I have the Nissan cargo organizer and it's not bad.
+1

I believe that they used to go for $150 on eBay. I would also check if a local Leaf owner didn't like the organizer and wanted to part with it. That's how I got mine.

Packet said:
Does anyone have experience with the best cargo-organization options for the LEAF? Ideally to keep a number of grocery bags from falling over and/or sliding around while driving, while also still having a place to put the L1 EVSE.

Packet, I went to Costco, and for about $30, bought a NICE Igloo cooler (white) which will hold 3 large grocery bags. It also came with two extra things, an insulated jug and a small cooler. It fits in the trunk really well with more room for other things. I didn't have to move the EVSE and can still pack two large tennis bags with more space left. Also, in the summer, it will keep your groceries cool. :mrgreen:

Packet said:
I paid the $200 for the Nissan cargo organizer and I'm happy with it. Not only does it have the two compartments Devin mentioned, but it also has two dividers you can use within them. I have my L1 (or occasionally upgraded) EVSE in one section of the smaller compartment, together with a 50' extension cord and connectors for the upgraded EVSE. The other part of the smaller compartment is my "tool chest". My three folded reusable shopping bags and (this time of year) my umbrella fit neatly into a space at the side of the organizer close to the right rear tail lights. That leaves the larger compartment for anything else I am carrying that I want out of sight. If truth be told, I usually just drop my bags filled with groceries on top of the organizer covers. The cloth bags don't slide around a bit on the felt-covered organizer lids.

And, yes, I love having the flat surface with the back seats folded down. I recently had the whole back of the car filled up with some heavy duty sound equipment (32 channel mixer, rack with 16 wireless mic receivers, 3 boxes of cables) sitting on top of the sound effects computer, studio mics, and wireless mic case that were down inside the compartment.

Ray

Packet said:
Do you use the large area or the small one to stabilize grocery bags?
Either depending on the groceries in question. I generally use the small one for anything breakable, particularly liquids/alcohol as I'd rather have them spill in the self contained plastic area than anywhere else. Non-breakable ones I usually put on top of the cover for the large bin. Also, the cargo organizer leaves the little cubby area on the passenger side of the trunk open so things that are smallish I just tuck in there.

I have the Nissan cargo organizer, too. I picked it up for $175 from a local Nissan dealership. I don't screw it down so I can remove it if I need to. I put all my EVSE bag and extension cables in the smaller compartment. The EVSE itself, I actually put it in the hole on the right side of the organizer for easy access. I use the EVSE bag for other things like my Quick220 and all the adaptors.

The larger compartment is used to hold my Coolcap cover and my collapsible cooler bag and other misc things.

I like it because it provides a flat surface flush to the hump when the seats are folded down.

I wish they had molded it a little better to not waste the space around the bottom edge, since the organizer's bottom area is a little bit smaller than the top. But I can see that they might have had to do this so it can be easily put in/taken out.

We should point out that the Nissan organizer blocks access to that emergency compartment on the drivers side, the one that contains the air pump and leak sealer junk. That is the main reason I didn't bolt my cargo organizer down. The pump might come in handy, even though I'm pretty sure I would never want to use the goop.

Ray

I don't see any advantage of bolting the cargo organizer down at all. I see many disadvantages bolting it down.

It's not like it's going anywhere or sliding around while you drive. It's pretty much stuck in one place, unless you happen to roll your car over, then yes, it'll fall off its place. But it's the last thing I'd worry about if my car rolls over.

A cheap, er, thrifty solution that I use: stretch a bungie cord between the two
end child-seat anchors. I just unhook it and pass it through the handles of the
bags. No need to move the charger.

I orderd my Leaf with the cargo organizer which now spends its time taking up space in my garage. I use my trunk mostly for hauling golf equipment (which won't fit with the organizer in place unless I drop the back seats). :oops: I would highly recommend that anyone ordering a Leaf, see what their actual needs are before ordering it.

I love being able to store things out of sight. Wish it were hinged also though.

Plastic has saved me when small items have leaked

Not bolted down. I don't see the point in doing so.

Dealer tossed it in for $160 at the time of sale. They make enough money on the car that a few dollars shouldn't matter.

Back