Portable 120/240V KWH meter for your portable upgraded EVSE

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yep, that is sometimes what happens when two people are writing a message about the same thing at the same time...

But on an allied front, I do have a clamp on Fluke meter at work that can handle both AC and DC from milliamps to 1000 amps...
Of course, it also costs around $3K.

mitch672 said:
Is there an echo in here? :)

mogur said:
Yep, that is sometimes what happens when two people are writing a message about the same thing at the same time...

But on an allied front, I do have a clamp on Fluke meter at work that can handle both AC and DC from milliamps to 1000 amps...
Of course, it also costs around $3K.

mitch672 said:
Is there an echo in here? :)

right. I have a clamp on fluke as well, but its only for 1 conductor at a time.

I do think getting the AC KWH meter installed on the wiring behind the J-1772 with a data logger would at least allow you to monitor all power used for charging that particular Leaf, and you wouldn't need any portable equipment setup.

Forget about the charger output, I want to measure the two really big cables coming out of the battery. Heck I would be happy if someone just data logged the voltage on those cables. Would love to know pack voltage at turtle and at 100% charge.

Herm said:
Forget about the charger output, I want to measure the two really big cables coming out of the battery. Heck I would be happy if someone just data logged the voltage on those cables. Would love to know pack voltage at turtle and at 100% charge.

If its below 500A, this will work: http://www.ebay.com/itm/BLUE-SEA-8236-METER-DIGITAL-DC-AMPERAGE-8236-/280726971136?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item415ca1a300" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
(nevermind only goes up to 72V, you would need a voltage scaler as well, since its up at around 400 volts)

you could easily get a DC voltmeter that can measure from 0 to 500V as well.

get models that can be connected to a data logger, and there you go...

Herm said:
I'm pretty sure this information is available on the CAN BUS, and some people here on the forum have figured out how to display it. Hint: Use the forum search feature and type in: can bus ;)

Not only does the LEAF measure the High-Voltage Battery Pack's Voltage and Current (Amps), it puts that information on the EV-CAN bus.

The recently-released F1.08 firmware in the SOC-Meter will display the Battery Pack's DC Voltage (volts), current (amps), and Power (kWatts), both in and out.

Further, using the SOC-Meter with a slight mod (add 2 wires), attaching it to a PC running our free CAN-Do program, YOU can log and plot these (and other) values from the CAN bus!

All Aboard, train leaving ...

Thanks to johnr and this thread, I made my own 120/240V KWH meter. It wasn't too difficult (even for a newbie), and cost me about $50.
Thinking about putting it in a waterproof enclosure, like the one on http://www.ebay.com/itm/Waterproof-Equipment-Enclosure-PolyCarbonate-Plastic-Electricity-Meter-DIN-19-/180778228761?pt=BI_Electrical_Equipment_Tools&hash=item2a1738dc19#ht_6722wt_1396" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
It works great!

photo1zl.th.jpg

photo2os.th.jpg

Personally, I measure power with a TED installed at my breaker panel. I have also verified that my levitron allows the Leaf max of 16A while charging with a Sperry Clamp on Ampmeter.

Back