Hawaii Leafs

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hey, Oahu Nissan Leaf owners check out Facebook page : Oahu Nissan Leaf Owners

Another avenue to share information and ideas, especially for us Oahu drivers.

Mahalo

jj50 said:
Just received some OEM rubber floor mats today. I purchased them through Marlboro Nissan here:

http://www.nissanaccessories247.com/999E4-8X000" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Note that you can't order online because a glitch in their system doesn't show the state of Hawaii for shipping. But you can call their toll-free number and speak to Jamie, he took my order over the phone.

$80.99, and free shipping to Hawaii! :) Way cheaper than the local dealers. The mats look good, too.

-jj50

I just ordered mats from Marlboro Nissan. I spoke with Matt who took my order over the phone. Cool guy. Free shipping to Hawaii is sweet!

koolaukid said:
I think the fabric used for the seats and especially the armrests is a poor choice and have been looking into alternatives. Wet Okole seat covers are one option but do nothing for the stain susceptible armrests and center console. Stopped by Golden Upholstery on Queen Street today and got a quote for $1,550 for front and back seats, door panels and center console. I see where the SF group has arranged a group buy at ~$1,000-$1,100. There are photos of the Leaf leather installation at;

viewtopic.php?f=37&t=4266&hilit=leather&start=20

Scroll down the page about halfway, this install had the seats done in a light tan and the door panels are a contrasting darker color, both are similar to the current interior. Is anyone else looking to do something like this? If so, please state your intentions and I'll try to put together better pricing.

I am interested in the leather seats

Just wanted to let everyone know that scotch guard on the seats will prevent stains. My kids spilled Wendy's chocolate frosty on the back seat. It wiped up no problem with just a cold wet rag.

seswindale said:
koolaukid said:
I think the fabric used for the seats and especially the armrests is a poor choice and have been looking into alternatives. Wet Okole seat covers are one option but do nothing for the stain susceptible armrests and center console. Stopped by Golden Upholstery on Queen Street today and got a quote for $1,550 for front and back seats, door panels and center console. I see where the SF group has arranged a group buy at ~$1,000-$1,100. There are photos of the Leaf leather installation at;

viewtopic.php?f=37&t=4266&hilit=leather&start=20

Scroll down the page about halfway, this install had the seats done in a light tan and the door panels are a contrasting darker color, both are similar to the current interior. Is anyone else looking to do something like this? If so, please state your intentions and I'll try to put together better pricing.

I am interested in the leather seats

Me too.

fulabu said:
jj50 said:
daSilvaLeaf said:
has anyone been using the evseupgrade for charging?
does it work well?
any safety issues?
any warranty issues?
is it eligible for state rebate? fed tax credit?

aloha

I'm also planning on buying the EVSE upgrade, so I'd be interested in other people's experiences in Hawaii. I'm gonna have an electrician install a 240v L6-20 outlet soon, I'll let you guys know how it goes.

I think that basically it seems like it works well, and is safe.

Regarding the warranty issues, this is from the EVSEupgrade website:
"It will not void the warranty on your car. In the US we have the Magnuson–Moss Warranty Act which is a United States federal law, (15 U.S.C. § 2301 et seq.). Enacted in 1975, it is the federal statute that governs warranties on consumer products. Among other things, It prevents manufacturers from denying warranty coverage from aftermarket upgrades. The only way they can deny a claim is to unequivocally prove that the upgrade did damage to your car. (see previous question) However, the warranty coverage on the EVSE itself will be voided. However, We stand behind our work and cover the upgrade for a period of 1 year, which offers additional peace-of-mind."

Regarding the state tax rebate, see here:
viewtopic.php?f=26&t=3072
Has anyone tried to claim the state rebate for the EVSE upgrade?

-jj50

I have the evse upgrade and it works great. No safety issues at all. I'm trying for the state rebate; we'll see. I'll let you know.

FYI, state rebate for upgraded evse was denied because it is not UL certified.

"FYI, state rebate for upgraded evse was denied because it is not UL certified."

How about expenses to run a 240 line to the garage? Do those qualify?

koolaukid said:
"FYI, state rebate for upgraded evse was denied because it is not UL certified."

How about expenses to run a 240 line to the garage? Do those qualify?

No, I don't think the state rebate will pay for running a 240 line. You might be able to claim the $1000 federal tax credit, I gotta check with my accountant.

Just had an electrician run a 240v line, the cost was $500. He set up a 30a line, with 12 gauge wire, even though many recommend 40a and 8 gauge for "future proofing". The EVSE upgrade works great, and Phil provided excellent and fast service. Be aware that he'll charge an extra $25 for shipping to Hawaii.

Anybody sign up for HECO's EV pilot rate program? I'm thinking of getting a second meter dedicated for the Leaf. It'll be about 5 or 6 cents cheaper from 9p to 7a. But it'll also be a nice way to know exactly how many kWh I'm using to charge the Leaf. Just gotta see how much it is to install the meter.

Otherwise, considering The Energy Detective to monitor energy usage...anybody using the TED?

jj50 said:
Anybody sign up for HECO's EV pilot rate program? I'm thinking of getting a second meter dedicated for the Leaf. It'll be about 5 or 6 cents cheaper from 9p to 7a. But it'll also be a nice way to know exactly how many kWh I'm using to charge the Leaf. Just gotta see how much it is to install the meter.

Otherwise, considering The Energy Detective to monitor energy usage...anybody using the TED?

Any idea of the cost of installing a two meter setup?

I got the 2 electric meter option. I went with Aerovironment because it was simpler for me. They handled everything, permits, coordinating with HECO. One complication was that it was a little longer and harder to wire my garage from where the electric meters are than an alternative path, but I thought the lower rates would be helpful. It came out to be about $4000 (before state rebate and federal tax credit). You might be able to get a better deal from someone else than Aerovironment.

However, even though they advertise a great rate, there are other items in the bill. This is from my most recent bill:

Kilowatt hours: 88
TOU Meter charge: 1.50 (the time of use meter monthly charge is specified in the EV-R schedule)
Non-fuel energy: 9.83 (this is roughly the 11+ cents per kwh at off peak)
Interim increase: 0.38
Purchased power adjustment: 2.34
RBA rate adjustment: 0.04
PBF surcharge: 0.52
Energy cost adjustment: 10.21
IRP Cost recovery: 0.03
Total: 24.85

So the big item is the energy cost adjustment. I think this is a factor based somehow upon the price of oil. This goes up and down as the price of oil goes up and down (please correct me if this is wrong).

The effective rate per kilowatt hour comes out to 28.24 cents per kilowatt-hour. I get an average of 4.7 miles per kilowatt-hour (your mileage may vary). To drive 10 miles, it would take 2.13 kilowatt-hours (10 miles divided by 4.7 miles per kilowatt-hour). 2.13 times 28.24 = 60.2 cents to drive 10 miles using my Leaf. If gasoline were $4.00 per gallon and I got 50 miles per gallon, the equivalent cost to drive 10 miles would be 80 cents, so I'm saving about 20 cents per 10 miles. If my car got 40 miles per gallon, the cost to drive 10 miles would be $1, so I would be saving about 40 cents per 10 miles.

There is a cost advantage for getting 2 meters for me, but it is nowhere near as much as I thought it was going to be, before I got the bills which shows all the extra charge items. Keep in mind that all of these extra charge items (except the monthly TOU meter charge) would also be in your electric bill if you didn't get 2 meters.

Wow, great post. Thank you. I was thinking of going with a two meter setup but the savings don't justify the expense. I am installing a TED this afternoon to measure the various household loads including that of charging the car.

jysue said:
I got the 2 electric meter option. I went with Aerovironment because it was simpler for me. They handled everything, permits, coordinating with HECO. One complication was that it was a little longer and harder to wire my garage from where the electric meters are than an alternative path, but I thought the lower rates would be helpful. It came out to be about $4000 (before state rebate and federal tax credit). You might be able to get a better deal from someone else than Aerovironment.

However, even though they advertise a great rate, there are other items in the bill. This is from my most recent bill:

Kilowatt hours: 88
TOU Meter charge: 1.50 (the time of use meter monthly charge is specified in the EV-R schedule)
Non-fuel energy: 9.83 (this is roughly the 11+ cents per kwh at off peak)
Interim increase: 0.38
Purchased power adjustment: 2.34
RBA rate adjustment: 0.04
PBF surcharge: 0.52
Energy cost adjustment: 10.21
IRP Cost recovery: 0.03
Total: 24.85

So the big item is the energy cost adjustment. I think this is a factor based somehow upon the price of oil. This goes up and down as the price of oil goes up and down (please correct me if this is wrong).

The effective rate per kilowatt hour comes out to 28.24 cents per kilowatt-hour. I get an average of 4.7 miles per kilowatt-hour (your mileage may vary). To drive 10 miles, it would take 2.13 kilowatt-hours (10 miles divided by 4.7 miles per kilowatt-hour). 2.13 times 28.24 = 60.2 cents to drive 10 miles using my Leaf. If gasoline were $4.00 per gallon and I got 50 miles per gallon, the equivalent cost to drive 10 miles would be 80 cents, so I'm saving about 20 cents per 10 miles. If my car got 40 miles per gallon, the cost to drive 10 miles would be $1, so I would be saving about 40 cents per 10 miles.

There is a cost advantage for getting 2 meters for me, but it is nowhere near as much as I thought it was going to be, before I got the bills which shows all the extra charge items. Keep in mind that all of these extra charge items (except the monthly TOU meter charge) would also be in your electric bill if you didn't get 2 meters.

thank you very much for the useful info,

http://s1184.photobucket.com/albums/z340/kmau123/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
i was at the dealer yesterday and look want i saw

I guess the dealer like to use bumpers as ladders to install leaf antennas. the mechanic did not even use a cloth to protect the paint on the car. I guess if he did he might slip and fall.

After a lot of consideration, I just got on Hawaiian Electric's TOU EV initiative. A great way to go for anyone that has an EV and solar panels, no up front expense whatsoever, HEI provides and installs the more sophisticated meters at no charge except for a $1.50 a month increase in meter rental. The program uses a single meter but charges different rates at different times of the day. $.02 cents under the normal rate (normal rate is about $.33 a KWH) for daytime hours 7AM to 5PM, when the PV system is generating power. $.05 over the normal rate during "peak" times, 5PM to 9PM, and $.06 under the normal rate from 9PM to 7AM, the best time to charge the Leaf.

I figured that the savings on EV charging will more than offset any additional generated during "peak" hours while the additional $.02 per KWH during the day would just be icing on the cake. This is apparently a high priority strategy for Hawaiian Electric as I dropped the application for TOU EV on Tuesday, Hawaiian Electric called with questions Wednesday and the new meter was installed Thursday. The guy that did the installation told me that his supervisor told him "whatever is on your plate is second, get this TOU EV meter installed today".

The new meter breaks down usage so you can see exactly how much you've used/generated during that time period since the meter was installed. I've started a spreadsheet to get a better handle on usage and seasonal trends but just from my one day experience it's obvious this will lower my electricity bill.

koolaukid said:
After a lot of consideration, I just got on Hawaiian Electric's TOU EV initiative.

We're doing the same.

Also, parked for free at the Blaisdell (saved $6). Told the attendant I was driving an electric vehicle and she said, "OK, have a nice day." Sweet!

Anyone going to participate in the national plug in day on oct 16th? Looks like everyone is meeting up on the north shore at 10am and heading down to the green energy outlet. Go to plug in America for details.

FYI, started at full charge and drove from Kapolei to Sea Life Park, back to Kapolei via Wiamanlo/H3. No A/C for the whole trip - 18 miles left on the Leaf.

Back