Forged Rays Volk Wheels installed - stock wheels are HEAVY!

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I dumped the factory wheels for a brand new set of Voxx Legras. Polished double spoked aluminum, 17 lbs each, 38 mm offset. They fit perfectly and handle quite nicely. I'm selling my OEMs... :cool:

Here is your pic TangoKilo. Thanks for sharing.

"The wheels cost $125 each (Voxx Legras), mounted and balanced. They're 16 x 7 and have a 38mm offset with a weight of 17 lbs each. Perfect clearance and about an inch total wider stance. I've only driven four miles. Great so far!" - TK
photo.JPG

BTW - Is there a specific Wheel Pic thread where people can post up their rides?

Here is an ebay auction for some wheels like mine. The wheels look to be a little beat up, but perhaps they could be cleaned. Be aware that new stickers and center caps are quite expensive. The lister also does now know the offset, so do some investigating to be sure what you are getting.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=150658280170&viewitem=&sspagename=ADME%3AB%3ASS%3AUS%3A1123" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Here is mine for reference.

http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?p=103685#p103685" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

palmermd said:
Here is an ebay auction for some wheels like mine. The wheels look to be a little beat up, but perhaps they could be cleaned. Be aware that new stickers and center caps are quite expensive. The lister also does now know the offset, so do some investigating to be sure what you are getting.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=150658280170&viewitem=&sspagename=ADME%3AB%3ASS%3AUS%3A1123" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Here is mine for reference.

http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?p=103685#p103685" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

No mention of the offset though (I would want to check that) and they will need to be recoated as those are scratches. And yes, Volk keeps the pricing high on the stickers ($100 a set if you can find them) and center caps ($150-$180 a set) to keep people from taking knock-off wheels and making them look more like real ones. They seem to high priced to me.

So skywagon, I have been using your pics and pics of a lowered Leaf in Japan with 7.5" wide, 47mm offset wheels and 25mm spacers in the front and 45mm spacers in the rear to see how much wheel/tire the Leaf could accomodate. I also took a Linea Corse wheel my brother is putting on his Mustang just to see how things line up. (19x10 +43mm offset). It was too close to the rear shock for comfort (barely a fingers clearance), but it was good gauge to see what could work.

Here is the pic of the Japanese Leaf. You can clearly see the massive silver colored wheel spacers in the pics. This car has an effective offset of 2mm on a 7.5" wheel in the back and a 22mm offset on a 7.5 wheel in the front. It's lowered 60mm all around (2.36 inches).

p5.jpg

p4.jpg

p7.jpg

Here are pics of the Linea Corse wheel fitment. Sorry for the crappy pics.

6123136114_2757f9d07b_z.jpg

6123136576_b332cbb419_z.jpg

A few more pics here: http://flic.kr/s/aHsjvX47jX" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I also use the site Willtheyfit.com and use your fitment as a guide to test other combos. I'm pretty confident an 18x9 35mm offset will fit in the back. The front is another story. Right now I am looking at some RPF1's with an 18x8 35mm for the front and 18x9 35mm for the rear. My only hesitation is that the RPF1 in an 8" width is not a concave fitment. It just doesn't look right IMO. The 9", on the other hand, looks much better. Oh and I would be running a 225/40/18 all around. This would be my show wheel set. Still fairly light, but a more aggressive fit.

I'd probably run some traklites, rpf1 or something similar in a 17x7-8 with a 225/45/17 for track days and general sporty driving.

I'll probably order one wheel in a few different offsets to see what'll fit. More to come...

Nader,

I did some trial runs with a set of 18x7.5's I have (Ray's/Volk wheels, 38mm offset, 16 lbs each) and they fit fine but with 225x40x18 Dunlop Star Specs the range was impacted significantly; too much for my liking (10-12% at least). I ran them for a couple days and went back to my 16x7" set-up I originally posted about.

With going lower soon I was wanting to change to a larger wheel for the appearance. With that impact in range I will not be doing that unless we can get those Dunlop Ecosmart tires (215x45x18) that I saw one of the Japanese guys running (white car with gold Rays CE28's). A proper size low rolling resistance tire will be necessary to maintain range.

So are we concluding that tire design is causing a reduction in range? I only drive locally these days so I don't mind giving up some range for a "hella flush" fitment. Ok maybe not hella flush, but close. 9" wheel on a 225 tire isn't too exotic.

Side note: I think the car has some real style potential. I'm willing to push the limits to help attract some attention from the aftermarket world. Basically I'm try to make a statement that EV tuning has it's place too.

I've got 500 miles on my new wheels so far. I'm enjoying them! Not a bad mod for $125 per wheel out the door. Although I have no "hard"numbers, I believe my range is up slightly and handling is improved... :cool:

I am planning on some wheels for my Leaf and was looking at going to a 215-45-17
michelin LRR tire.
the size seems to be almost the same diameter as stock and reasonable tread width

24.7" diameter as opposed to 24.9" on the stock bridgestone ecopias

this tire is the same as used on the Lexus CT200h and prius V

what do you think?

I need some good looking wheels too!

So have just spent some $$$ on coilovers recently I'm trying to find a reasonably light set of wheels with a flat face and minimal openings.

A couple options for those that want to run stock tires is are Rota Slipstreams or Rota J-Mag. They are both in the ~13lb range. 40mm offset is as low as they get.

I am also investigating running a 15x7 wheel with a 195/65/15 tire (EP100's and EP422's are available in the proper load rating and are about 1-1.5lbs lighter per tire). I think it will clear the brakes (overall diameter of brake assembly with caliper), but it'll come down to offset and spoke design for caliper clearance. You can get 15" forged wheels in the sub-10lb range.

I am also investigating Altima steel wheels (16x6.5) and mooneyes with stock tires. Just for fun. I've always liked the look of a lowered car with mooneyes for some reason. Reminds me of salt flat racers.

BTW, the rear fender flares out more than stock and can take a much lower offset. I'll be running a 15mm spacer out back, but I know it can take more.

nader said:
A couple options for those that want to run stock tires is are Rota Slipstreams or Rota J-Mag. They are both in the ~13lb range. 40mm offset is as low as they get.
The Rota website says that Slipstreams can be had in the 5x114.5 bolt circle in +40, +45 and +48...

The Sub-zeros are very light, but have a very open wheel design. Would be interesting to find a 15" wheel that fits - could turn the LEAF into a rally-mobile. :) The generous ground clearance helps.

Instead of offsetting the rear wheels - what about leaving them in and fabbing up some rear skirts? Would go well with the mooneyes. :)

The Rota website is the most un-updated site on the net. It looks exactly like it did in the year 2000. IWhat they show doesn't translate into what is available. There are a handful of wheels on their site that aren't even available in our market.

The larger dealers like wheeldude.com and racinglab.com can do special orders but be prepared to wait at least 2 months.

I had 17" subzeros on the SRT-4 years ago with good luck. I also ran 16" slipstreams on the Focus. Decent wheels for the money, especially if you can pick up a used set.

nader said:
The Rota website is the most un-updated site on the net. It looks exactly like it did in the year 2000. IWhat they show doesn't translate into what is available. There are a handful of wheels on their site that aren't even available in our market.

The larger dealers like wheeldude.com and racinglab.com can do special orders but be prepared to wait at least 2 months.
Good point - that said, wheeldude.com does have a 16x7 5x114.5 +45 Slipstream listed.

Anyone know what the hub bore is on the LEAF? Looks all the 5x114.5 Rotas on wheeldude.com are 73mm...

Edit: Wiki says 66.1 mm - I guess a hub bore spacer should be used?

drees said:
nader said:

Good point - that said, wheeldude.com does have a 16x7 5x114.5 +45 Slipstream listed.

Anyone know what the hub bore is on the LEAF? Looks all the 5x114.5 Rotas on wheeldude.com are 73mm...

Edit: Wiki says 66.1 mm - I guess a hub bore spacer should be used?

Yup. set of hub rings are necessary.

I ordered these:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00280BGY4

Back