Hawaii Leafs

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So it sounds like almost a million vehicles are registered on the islands. Should make it easy to convert into % as more EV's show up.

I would love to see Hawaii look like Japan with a nice network of L3 stations. If any state could do it, I would bet on Hawaii.

BTW - I noticed a couple large clusters of ChargePoints near Ko Olina Beach Park. What's the story on that??? Pics of that many public EVSE's together would be awesome if some has any to share.

@ koolaukid

I have considered installing the after market leather after seeing how well they have done on other leafs. It's not as important to me right now, especially since my kids are getting older. I think that I would wait until there is actually a stain that could not be removed, otherwise the light interior has started to grow on me. It sure feels cool when you get in and seems to breathe well. Leather can be hot in a warm climate like this one and the leather seats tend to stick to your legs. It would give you peace of mind about stains or discoloration however.

Let us known if you find a good deal and I'm sure a lot of people would consider it.

TRONZ said:
So it sounds like almost a million vehicles are registered on the islands. Should make it easy to convert into % as more EV's show up.

I would love to see Hawaii look like Japan with a nice network of L3 stations. If any state could do it, I would bet on Hawaii.

BTW - I noticed a couple large clusters of ChargePoints near Ko Olina Beach Park. What's the story on that??? Pics of that many public EVSE's together would be awesome if some has any to share.

EVs in Hawaii are perfect if not for the sure fact you really do not need a huge battery to get around the island. L3 and even L2 charging strategically placed around the island would completely get rid of any range anxiety in Oahu. You can pretty much get anywhere on the island, but I'm still cautious about my range until there are public charging stations in place.

What's this About clusters of charge points? Are they installed at the park? I could check them out this weekend. I haven't made it to that side of the island with the leaf as of yet.

Please share all new charging points that you discover. What is taking them so long??? We need charging infrastructure more than we need the EV rebate. They should have used that money to install free charging stations. This would have helped push EV adoption quicker....

You can look here. Just pan over to Hawaii.

http://www.mychargepoint.net/find-stations.php

Shows 25 j1772 stations at the Aulani Disney (Resort?) and 1 near the Ala Moana.

Just noticed a dedicated parking stall and charger in the parking lot for the district courts behind Restaurant Row at the intersection of South and Pohukaina. The charger takes credit cards, rate is $4 per hour. Doesn't quite offset the free parking but it is a working charger . . . . . .

JJnHAWAII said:
Good luck on your road trip this weekend...

We need to start a leaf drive around the island to increase awareness of electric vehicles. A drive around the island proves to everyone that this vehicle is perfectly suited for Oahu.

Maybe a Leaf drive to raise money for Shriners Hospital or some other charitable organization would encourage others to participate in the drive. Raise EV awareness and at the same time raise money for charity....win...win..in my opinion.

How would we easily contact all the leaf owners to promulgate such an event?
I like it. Maybe we could get the dealers to inform their customers.

Went around the island this morning, starting and ending in Kaneohe. Ended up with 22 miles left although it got down to 13 at the peak of the climb coming into the Wilson tunnel. Although we took very little freeway, the big range killer seems to be hills, first climbing out of Haleiwa for Wahiawa, then the Likelike. We ran the AC the whole way and drove in normal mode. I had brought along the EVSE just in case but never really got close to running dry. Kind of a non event really but wanted to show the wife it could be done.

koolaukid said:
Went around the island this morning, starting and ending in Kaneohe. Ended up with 22 miles left although it got down to 13 at the peak of the climb coming into the Wilson tunnel. Although we took very little freeway, the big range killer seems to be hills, first climbing out of Haleiwa for Wahiawa, then the Likelike. We ran the AC the whole way and drove in normal mode. I had brought along the EVSE just in case but never really got close to running dry. Kind of a non event really but wanted to show the wife it could be done.

Wow...I always worry about the climbing at highway speeds, which seems to sap your range rather quickly. I'm sure you mostly coasted from Wahiawa or used eco to get more regenerative braking and that probably helped you make it back across the mountains to make it home. Quite a trip though without any charging stations to help you out in a pinch. At least you had the EVSE just in case.

We took a trip out to Ko Olina today with beach chairs, cooler, boogie boards, and five people all at highway speeds and 80% initial charge. We made it back no problem, then ran several errands around town and made it back home with the guestometer saying 21 miles, but was down to the last 2 bars on battery range. I am trying to never run the battery down too far and only charge to 80%, but the loaded down car did seem to use more energy especially at the highway speeds. I had hoped to check out the new charging stations that show up on the charge point network in Ko Olina, but did not find any even though they were on the map previously. When you look now they are gone. - Anyone that needs a charge out there, do not expect to get any juice because the stations are MIA. Unless, I did not know the right location and they were hidden from view.

has anyone been using the evseupgrade for charging?
does it work well?
any safety issues?
any warranty issues?
is it eligible for state rebate? fed tax credit?

aloha

daSilvaLeaf said:
does it work well?
any safety issues?
any warranty issues?

aloha

I'm also planning on buying the EVSE upgrade, so I'd be interested in other people's experiences in Hawaii. I'm gonna have an electrician install a 240v L6-20 outlet soon, I'll let you guys know how it goes.

I think that basically it seems like it works well, and is safe.

Regarding the warranty issues, this is from the EVSEupgrade website:
"It will not void the warranty on your car. In the US we have the Magnuson–Moss Warranty Act which is a United States federal law, (15 U.S.C. § 2301 et seq.). Enacted in 1975, it is the federal statute that governs warranties on consumer products. Among other things, It prevents manufacturers from denying warranty coverage from aftermarket upgrades. The only way they can deny a claim is to unequivocally prove that the upgrade did damage to your car. (see previous question) However, the warranty coverage on the EVSE itself will be voided. However, We stand behind our work and cover the upgrade for a period of 1 year, which offers additional peace-of-mind."

I don't think it will qualify for the state tax rebate.
Regarding the federal tax credit, see here:
http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=26&t=3072
Has anyone tried to claim the federal tax credit for the EVSE upgrade?

-jj50

koolaukid said:
Went around the island this morning, starting and ending in Kaneohe. Ended up with 22 miles left although it got down to 13 at the peak of the climb coming into the Wilson tunnel.
Very cool, thank you for the report. Any idea if Hertz will start offering EVs in Hawaii? They should.

jj50 said:
daSilvaLeaf said:
does it work well?
any safety issues?
any warranty issues?

aloha

I'm also planning on buying the EVSE upgrade, so I'd be interested in other people's experiences in Hawaii. I'm gonna have an electrician install a 240v L6-20 outlet soon, I'll let you guys know how it goes.

I think that basically it seems like it works well, and is safe.

Regarding the warranty issues, this is from the EVSEupgrade website:
"It will not void the warranty on your car. In the US we have the Magnuson–Moss Warranty Act which is a United States federal law, (15 U.S.C. § 2301 et seq.). Enacted in 1975, it is the federal statute that governs warranties on consumer products. Among other things, It prevents manufacturers from denying warranty coverage from aftermarket upgrades. The only way they can deny a claim is to unequivocally prove that the upgrade did damage to your car. (see previous question) However, the warranty coverage on the EVSE itself will be voided. However, We stand behind our work and cover the upgrade for a period of 1 year, which offers additional peace-of-mind."

Regarding the state tax rebate, see here:
http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=26&t=3072
Has anyone tried to claim the state rebate for the EVSE upgrade?

-jj50

I have the evse upgrade and it works great. No safety issues at all. I'm trying for the state rebate; we'll see. I'll let you know.

The extended warranty may be worth the cost or at least peace of mind in case a major component does fail. Overall I expect this vehicle to be mostly trouble free throughout its life until the batteries begin to degrade. If the dealership tried to sell you the warranty for the price they offered me then I would say it is not a good deal. ( $2,775) Apparently, you can shop around for the warranty because it is a warranty from Nissan and not the dealership. I have read on this forum that some people have purchased the 8 year gold plan for around 1K.

That being said I have not purchased the extended warranty. I believe you have until 12,000 miles to purchase the warranty no questions asked. I probably will end up buying the extended warranty at some time, because it is like insurance just in case something does go wrong outside the 36 month period. Remember the batteries are covered for 8 years...

Why would you need a prepaid service plan for the Leaf.. what is there to service?

We have several threads on extended warranty plans, read them so you dont get ripped off. I believe you can get the 8 year Nissan Factory Warranty complete bumper-to-bumper plan for about $1100. Probably a good deal with a new car.

Just received some OEM rubber floor mats today. I purchased them through Marlboro Nissan here:

http://www.nissanaccessories247.com/999E4-8X000

Note that you can't order online because a glitch in their system doesn't show the state of Hawaii for shipping. But you can call their toll-free number and speak to Jamie, he took my order over the phone.

$80.99, and free shipping to Hawaii! :) Way cheaper than the local dealers. The mats look good, too.

-jj50

man, i paid $2775 for the extended warranty. i feel like i just got leafjacked.
what dealerships are offering the extended warranty for $1100?
i going see if i can get my money back.

just got my evse upgrade, it works great.
i got an extra evse for sale at cost. i didn't want to pay $75 for the replacement fee. i figured someone else would like to buy an evse upgrade, then pass on the extra evse cord. if interested i live hilo - [email protected].

daSilvaLeaf said:
man, i paid $2775 for the extended warranty. i feel like i just got leafjacked.
what dealerships are offering the extended warranty for $1100?
i going see if i can get my money back.

just got my evse upgrade, it works great.
i got an extra evse for sale at cost. i didn't want to pay $75 for the replacement fee. i figured someone else would like to buy an evse upgrade, then pass on the extra evse cord. if interested i live hilo - [email protected].
Santa Rosa Nissan - http://nissansantarosaservicecontracts.com/

I see enterprise is offering leaf rentals on Oahu and they have installed charging stations at their airport location.

http://hawaii.gov/dbedt/info/energy/evrebatesgrants/081611%20Enterprise%20Rent-A-Car%20-%20website%20news.pdf

That is all well and good for Enterprise to charge there leafs waiting for the prospective renters, but what about while they are driving around the island. What happens once they make it back to their hotel, can they charge at the hotel? I think the charging infrastructure has to be there for anyone to want to rent the leaf on Oahu.

Am I wrong on this or is there a charging infrastructure that I am missing some how?

Does anyone know the timeframe for new charger installations? I for one am getting increasingly impatient with the rollout of the charging stations. This could be your only car on Oahu if there were at least some charging points scattered around the island. I purchased my leaf and now I want to drive it everywhere and not be "tethered" to my charge point at home. Does anyone else have an opinion on the subject?

Back