mckemie
Delivery Date: 25 May 2011
Leaf Number: 1008

Re: Schneider EVSE

Schneider people showed up at my place today and put a new ROM in my EVSE. Great service; I expected to have to send my unit off for repair. I don't see how Schneider can make any money if they give this kind of service frequently. They sure didn't make any money on my unit. I have some guilt.

Now, the amusing part: The Schneider guy was from Cedar Rapids Iowa. I'm in central Texas, about 30 miles south of Austin. In another vehicle was a "licensed electrician" from a local firm. Though I think I heard him say he was from San Antonio, about 80 miles away. "How come there are two of you?" I ask. "Well, I need a licensed electrician to confirm the power is off before I open up the EVSE" the Schneider guy said. The electrician was laughing because all he did was pull the plug I had installed on the EVSE. I'm sure he billed at least two hours for this job. Maybe four.

Anyway, the electrician left and the Schneider guy messed around a few minutes, plugged the EVSE back into the power, plugged the EVSE into the Leaf and he was done.
VIN 1008 delivered 5/24/11
Turned 10k trouble-free miles 12/13/11
83% battery capacity at 18k miles 8/4/12
Silver plain-jane
30 miles south of Austin, Texas
JasonT

Schneider person (Bob) showed up at my place yesterday to do the firmware update. As with mckemie's experience, the person was from Iowa, coming out to AZ to do the update.

It does sound like Shneider is giving special treatment to these initial units. I get the impression that they plan to have techs trained in how to flash the units and any future updates could be done by local techs. However, since the number of released units is fairly low and Schneider really wants "hands on" experience at this point they went this more personal route.

Unlike mckemie's experience though, Bob came out by himself. I don't know if we're more lax here in AZ than Texas is (which would surprise me) or what. I flipped off the breaker for him, he did the update, flipped the breaker back on and went on his way.

Since the problem has been intermittent, only time will tell if it's all resolved. I would be shocked (har har) if I have any more problems, though.
mckemie

JasonT wrote: Unlike mckemie's experience though, Bob came out by himself. I don't know if we're more lax here in AZ than Texas is (which would surprise me) or what. I flipped off the breaker for him, he did the update, flipped the breaker back on and went on his way.
I had given them a maps.google link to the EVSE location and told them they could do it in my absence. I failed to mention that the EVSE was on a plug so they may have figured that breaking the power could be a problem without someone familiar with my breaker box. As it happened, I was there when they arrived. I just hate to think of them wasting money on an electrician. I also hate to think of all the money that has been squandered on installing most of the EVSEs!
Silver plain-jane
JasonT

For anyone that is interested it looks like at least one online company is offering this unit for $750. I know nothing about the company, and I couldn't figure out how much shipping was going to be.
From another thread:
hodad66 wrote:a quick search.......

http://www.munroelectric.com/silverecli ... rt=1769814
kmp647
Delivery Date: 11 Nov 2011

It would be a winner if it was outdoor rated
2012 SL Leaf
order 07/28/2011
took delivery 11/11/11
47,000 miles 10 bars 211 gids
Turned back into Nissan 12/31/14 @ 50,000 miles
BMW i3 rex 24 month lease
2017 BMW X540e phev
Tesla model 3 reservation
BigTex
Delivery Date: 28 May 2011

I called Munro and learned that the unit advertised is not in stock, and I wasn't able to get a cost of shipping. The representative is going to email me when the units are available and also the shipping cost.
mckemie

BigTex wrote:I called Munro and learned that the unit advertised is not in stock, and I wasn't able to get a cost of shipping. The representative is going to email me when the units are available and also the shipping cost.
When you "talk" to them, ask if they are going to charge out of state sales tax. Por favor.
Silver plain-jane
JasonT

JasonT wrote:Since the problem has been intermittent, only time will tell if it's all resolved. I would be shocked (har har) if I have any more problems, though.
Just wanted to give a small follow-up on this. It's now been almost a month and I have not had a single failure. The day after the update I stopped watching to make sure the car was charging (a habit I got into with the failure) and I have not had any instances of coming out to find the car not charged. At this point I consider this matter to be 100% resolved.
mckemie

JasonT wrote: At this point I consider this matter to be 100% resolved.
Same here.
Silver plain-jane
smkettner
Delivery Date: 26 Feb 2014

JasonT wrote:For anyone that is interested it looks like at least one online company is offering this unit for $750. I know nothing about the company, and I couldn't figure out how much shipping was going to be.
From another thread:
hodad66 wrote:a quick search.......

http://www.munroelectric.com/silverecli ... rt=1769814
Home Depot $729 free shipping

http://www.homedepot.com/h_d1/N-5yc1v/R ... key=Search
1 bar lost at 21,451 miles, 16 months.
2 bar lost at 35,339 miles, 25 months.
LEAF traded at 45,400 miles for a RAV4-EV
RAV4 traded in for I-Pace Dec 2018

Return to “EVSE / Charging Equipment and Networks”