Padlock choices for Nissan's portable EVSE J1772 plug

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

surfsnow

I am using this luggage lock to lock my Nissan portable EVSE when I need to use it at a public 120V outlet:
http://www.masterlock.com/product_d...-OwnCombination_No.647CombinationPadlock/647D

:oops:

I am wondering, are there any other better choices?
The hole for locks to pass through on the Nissan's portable EVSE J1772 plug is way too small... IMO... :?

(I did perform a search on this matter, if I overlooked, I apologize and please let me know which thread I should be going to)

i went to the local hardware store and they had a variety of smaller shackles.
It had that combo but three wheels are too few, in my view.
I got for about $6 a keyed master lock with a reinforced body. It has two keys.
I figure that I keep it with the EVSE and can even leave the key hidden in the car, while charging.

I lock the EVSE in the trunk, fed by a 50 foot 10/3 extension cord from Harbor Freight Tools--feel more secure about that for both the extension and the EVSE charge block--done it a few times and seems okay.

JimSouCal said:
I lock the EVSE in the trunk, fed by a 50 foot 10/3 extension cord from Harbor Freight Tools--feel more secure about that for both the extension and the EVSE charge block--done it a few times and seems okay.

how does that work if you must plug in the j1772 to the car port?

+1 ??????

thankyouOB said:
JimSouCal said:

TonyWilliams said:
+1 ??????

thankyouOB said:
JimSouCal said:

out the trunk and to the front of the car. the evse cord is smaller (and seems less rugged than the extension)

over time this may wear on the finish of the edge. I am going to experiment to see is a door may work better than the trunk at some point. one could also use a slightly lowered window, but it would look funny and be less secure.

A maximum shackle diameter of 3/16" can fit both the portable EVSE J1772 plug, and the four holes on the EVSE block.

I purchased the Master Lock 627D (3/16" shackle dia.) for maximum 'protection':
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000T4FL7Y

However, I use one of these more often. It's size makes it quicker to slide through the hole when all I need is deterrent:
Master Lock 646T (1/8" shackle dia.):
http://www.amazon.com/Master-Lock-6...ion/dp/B00004Y8DQ/ref=acc_glance_hi_ai_ps_t_4

http://www.masterlock.com/products/...cks&modelNumber=MLCOM_PRODUCT_646D&showquiz=0

the small shackle is good and I have bought a master lock with a key, but in a pinch you can use a standard shackled that loops around the EVSE cord and also around the "shackle" of the charging door fastener.
I did that the first time when I did not have time to get the master lock with the thin shackle.

using the standard shackle, the lock nicely attaches the EVSE to the charger door. A thief could rip both off with some effort and a hammer and/or crowbar, but it would take a few minutes and lots of noise.

JimSouCal said:
JimSouCal said:

out the trunk and to the front of the car. the evse cord is smaller (and seems less rugged than the extension)

over time this may wear on the finish of the edge. I am going to experiment to see is a door may work better than the trunk at some point. one could also use a slightly lowered window, but it would look funny and be less secure.
I still don't get it. How do you close the trunk tightly enough to lock the car if you have the J1772 cord and the other extension cord sticking out of the trunk? Surely you don't want to force slam the trunk on both cables?

[/quote]I still don't get it. How do you close the trunk tightly enough to lock the car if you have the J1772 cord and the other extension cord sticking out of the trunk? Surely you don't want to force slam the trunk on both cables?[/quote]

that makes 3 of us.

Volusiano said:
JimSouCal said:
JimSouCal said:

I still don't get it. How do you close the trunk tightly enough to lock the car if you have the J1772 cord and the other extension cord sticking out of the trunk? Surely you don't want to force slam the trunk on both cables?

It closes without much force at all. I have done it several times with no apparent ill result, but it is not my normal practice. When I fly out of LAX again, I will charge level 1 and use this method at one of the main structure 120VAC outlets, for example.

JimSouCal said:
It closes without much force at all. I have done it several times with no apparent ill result, but it is not my normal practice. When I fly out of LAX again, I will charge level 1 and use this method at one of the main structure 120VAC outlets, for example.
I tried it at the bottom right corner with just the J1772 cord only and not the extension cord yet, and already felt some resistance and the trunk door only closes half way but not all the way. I did not want to chance risking damage to the cord by slamming the trunk door down all the way.

Maybe you found a "sweet spot" where the cord can be the most out of the way. Can you tell us where specifically you position the cords when you do this? And do you position both cords (the J1772 and the 120V or 240V extension cord) at the same spot or do you spread them out. A pic would really help.

I found a similar one at a Target store, but I discarded the packaging and haven't been able to find a website ad for it. It is a brushed gold color with no model number marked and is distributed by Brinks. Based on feel as I insert the key it appears to have 4 tumblers.

Ray

Volusiano said:
Maybe you found a "sweet spot" where the cord can be the most out of the way. Can you tell us where specifically you position the cords when you do this?

His hatchback door may warped just so that it provides clearance, or perhaps yours is warped so that it does not.. could also be an issue with the adjustment of the latch.

You could also run an extension out of a hole on the bottom of the car.

JimSouCal said:
When I fly out of LAX again, I will charge level 1 and use this method at one of the main structure 120VAC outlets, for example.
While I like the idea of securing the L1 EVSE electronics, bear in mind that at the ChargePoint stations, the 120V outlet is behind a locking door. So, if you were to plug in and park there for 2-weeks, no one else can use that station's 120V supply until you return and unlock with your CP card. At least with the L2 connection, we can move it from one EV to another. One solution might be to use an extension cord that would allow someone to come along hours/days later and unplug your EVSE and plug in theirs (until you return of course).

Back