Hawaii Leafs

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hey there Hawaiians!
I lost track of your delivery status and almost got whiplash today when I passed a white Leaf! This would have been at noon in Wimea, Kauai. I'm here on vacation and look forward to the day I can rent one here (and charge it).

Cheers, Bill

Hi Bill,
The same thing happened to me on O'ahu. I saw a white Leaf turning into the Waikele shopping center and I almost suffered whiplash too.

I hope you have a great vacation.

Aloha!

There is supposed to be a Leaf delivered to me in July of 2011 but other than that, Nissan hasn't sent any info regarding status or timing.

I assume my Leaf will be on the next boat considering today is July 2, anyone have any idea when the next boatload is supposed to arrive?
Thanks, Scott

Although I haven't received a notification email, I was allowed to set up CarWings today and while doing so noticed I've got a VIN assigned! As I've never received any email from Nissan, how far along in the process am I? Should I expect delivery soon? For those that have their Leafs, at what point in the process were you allowed to setup CarWings? I'm excited and hoping I'm close to driving a Leaf!

koolaukid said:
Although I haven't received a notification email, I was allowed to set up CarWings today and while doing so noticed I've got a VIN assigned! As I've never received any email from Nissan, how far along in the process am I? Should I expect delivery soon? For those that have their Leafs, at what point in the process were you allowed to setup CarWings? I'm excited and hoping I'm close to driving a Leaf!

I think the VIN means they have manufactured your car. So it should be on the next Nissan boat that arrives in Hawaii. In my case I got my Leaf several weeks before the Nissan web site said I would.

I stopped by the Green Energy Outlet on Ilaniwai Street in Kaka'ako today and was informed that there is now a fee to charge at their station. I was nonetheless able to charge for free because I have my own Charge Point card. Apparently if I didn't have my own card they would have swiped it with their card and charged me $4.00 per hour. According to Charge Point I was hooked up for 1:07:15 and drew down 4 kWh. Right now electricity is about $0.32/kWh so the cost to them for the electricity for an hour of charging is around $1.26. The Charge Point web site still lists that station as a free station although the person at Green Energy Outlet assured me it was now listed as a pay station. I'm not sure what is going on here or how it will be resolved but you may find yourself not being able to use this station after hours if you don't have a charge point card with money on it. My card is a free access station only card and it did work today. I mention this because if you were able to use this station before and are counting on using it in the dead of night to get home you could be SOL.

I am changing my charge point card to to one that will work with pay stations so that I can use this one at night if need be. I didn't bother before since this is the only charge point station on O'ahu and it was free. If you do set the card up there is a minimum initial deposit of $25.00 required. I figure it is worth it if I ever actually need to charge after hours I will be glad I have the account. If you don't have a charge point card you can get one from http://www.mychargepoint.net/

The chargers at the Nissan stations are still free and I expect they will remain so since the AV chargers they are using aren't set up to allow for paying customers. That said, the only Nissan Dealer that has a charging station available after hours is King Windward, New City and Tony both have their chargers placed where they can't be reached when they are closed. King Windward closes their parking lot after hours but you can still reach the charger by parking next door and running the cord over the fence. It will reach, I've done it.

Got an email today from the state DCCA that our Leaf rebate check just came in. Also said that checks for "quite a few approved applicants" that also had been delayed are now expected "very soon." :D

So Tony Nissan has a few "extra" Leafs on their lot. Apparently, there were extra cars on the last shipment (so these aren't orphaned). Anyway, they are for sale! The only thing is that the markup is $3000 over MSRP! So for a 2011 SL with DC quick charger, they want $37,400. Is this outrageous? Or should I just be happy that the car is available and put my money down?

jj50 said:
So Tony Nissan has a few "extra" Leafs on their lot. Apparently, there were extra cars on the last shipment (so these aren't orphaned). Anyway, they are for sale! The only thing is that the markup is $3000 over MSRP! So for a 2011 SL with DC quick charger, they want $37,400. Is this outrageous? Or should I just be happy that the car is available and put my money down?

Ouch. I wouldn't do it.

akohekohe said:
fulabu said:
slickoko said:
What has everyone else done?

Haven't done anything yet, but I'm probably going with this solution (http://www.evseupgrade.com) and skip the electrician all together.

What did AV quote you?

I have the AV level 2 charger but I also got the EVSE upgrade. I got one of the early ones that is limited to 12 amps but they now can do 16 amps and will probably upgrade to the 16 amp version but this is not urgent since it is really just a backup. It works fine and I probably would have done that instead of the AV one if it had been available at the time. The AV installation was a little over $2,200 but I was able to get the State of Hawaii Rebate of $500 and a federal tax credit of $1,100 (which is now limited to $1,000). I wouldn't have done it without the tax credit and rebate but I figured $700 net cost wasn't too bad. PM me if you want to try the EVSE upgrade.

I'm planning on getting the EVSE upgrade, but need to install a 240v L6-20 outlet so that I can charge at L2. Can anyone recommend a good electrician? What should I tell the electrician to ensure a successful install?

Thanks, jj

dpodoll said:
Just got our EV plates. Number 1501. Are there really 1,501 EVs in Hawaii?
Wow, 1,501 leafs or leaves in Hawaii...I have seen quite a few since my purchase this past Friday. I expect that number to grow into the tens of thousands once the supply catches up with demand. There might well be over 100k in a few years!

I tried to stop by the Green Energy Outlet, just to try my Charge card, but it was occupied by a silver leaf. With all these leafs we need more charging stations.

Anyone know when we can expect more public charge points?

Also, are there soon to be any charge points on the north shore?

I feel that I can pretty much make it anywhere on Oahu and return safely home, except for the north shore.

A charge point up north would be nice.

We got our leaf at the end of July, registration was done at Kaneohe Satellite City Hall getting us plate #1055. I don't think the license number directly relates to the number of electric vehicles on island.

We're planning to circle the island this weekend, up the east side to the North Shore, returning via Wahiawa and probably Kunia Road. I'll take the EVSE but by my calculations we should make it handily!
Scott

Good luck on your road trip this weekend...

We need to start a leaf drive around the island to increase awareness of electric vehicles. A drive around the island proves to everyone that this vehicle is perfectly suited for Oahu.

Maybe a Leaf drive to raise money for Shriners Hospital or some other charitable organization would encourage others to participate in the drive. Raise EV awareness and at the same time raise money for charity....win...win..in my opinion.

How would we easily contact all the leaf owners to promulgate such an event?

koolaukid said:
We got our leaf at the end of July, registration was done at Kaneohe Satellite City Hall getting us plate #1055. I don't think the license number directly relates to the number of electric vehicles on island.
State data says there were 357 registered electric passenger vehicles in Hawaii as of July, up from 339 in June and 166 in July of 2010. That's compared to 8,264 passenger diesels, 10,085 passenger hybrids and 949,989 passenger gasoline vehicles in July 2011. ( http://1.usa.gov/q0BJU5 )

We may be more numerous, but still pretty rare overall.

BIG ISLAND CHARGING COOP

I would like to start a charging coop on the Big Island so that we LEAFers can drive around the island without waiting for charging stations. I'll start by offering to charge up a fellow LEAFer and coop member at prevailing electric rates. I live in Hakalau, along the Hamakua coast, within range of Hilo, Keaau, and Laupahoehoe, and maybe Paauilo (two-way), and Pahoa, Kapoho, Volcano, Honokaa, and maybe Kamuela (one way). While charging, you can chill at my place or borrow a local vehicle to check out Akaka Falls.

If a few of us around island join together, we can take some of the risk out of LEAF travel. Please post in response or write me at [email protected]

I think the fabric used for the seats and especially the armrests is a poor choice and have been looking into alternatives. Wet Okole seat covers are one option but do nothing for the stain susceptible armrests and center console. Stopped by Golden Upholstery on Queen Street today and got a quote for $1,550 for front and back seats, door panels and center console. I see where the SF group has arranged a group buy at ~$1,000-$1,100. There are photos of the Leaf leather installation at;

http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=37&t=4266&hilit=leather&start=20

Scroll down the page about halfway, this install had the seats done in a light tan and the door panels are a contrasting darker color, both are similar to the current interior. Is anyone else looking to do something like this? If so, please state your intentions and I'll try to put together better pricing.

Back