Picking up Leaf on Thursday...any tips?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
fulabu said:
Any last minute, pre-purchase tips before I pick-up the Leaf this Thursday?

TIA!

One tip I would have is to set the charge timer to charge at night (mine is set from midnight to 7am), and only charge to 80%. Nissan estimates that this will double the battery life, provided that it still gives you enough range to meet your needs.
Another is not to be concerned the first time you get onto the highway, and see the estimated range drop by 15 miles in 2 minutes. It just goes with a reduced estimate of your economy once it sees you driving at high speed.

- Bob

Make sure that you have with you the financial details of your purchase or lease that you agreed to at the time of your RAQ, and make sure that nothing has changed.

Bring someone with you who is not as excited about getting the car as you are, to keep you grounded and asking the right questions.

Be prepared to read and sign a lot of disclaimers that are specific to owning an electric car, and read them. Some people are surprised that the car won't always get 100 miles of range, for instance. You'll sign something that says that you understand that.

Don't be talked into extended warranties that you don't want. Some people believe in these warranties, especially on very complex cars. Others don't. Just don't feel railroaded into taking one if you don't want it. You should be able to think about it for a while before buying it.

Don't accept dealer fees that you don't understand, add-ons, or equipment that you didn't order. You've ordered the car and there's no rush to complete the deal, especially since the CA rebate has now dropped in half and won't be funded til the fall (there may be more time pressure for you in HI if the state funds for rebates are diminishing). If you need a day to think about the details of the deal or to come on this forum and ask questions, take the time.

Expect the transaction to take up to 3 hours. There are lots of forms to sign and the dealer will have someone spend half an hour going over the details of the car with you.

If you are in CA (I see that you're in HI, but this comment is for others, or perhaps applies to you for the HI state rebate, if applicable), have the dealer photocopy the DMV form that will be stuck on your windshield as your temporary registration. You'll need that copy to submit with your paperwork packet to the CCSE for your CA rebate. Also, make sure that you have an extra, legible copy of your sales or lease agreement, showing the dealer's signatures and well as your own. A copy of this also needs to be submitted to the CCSE.

Above all, have a great day. It's one that you'll long remember.

Boomer23 said:
Make sure that you have with you the financial details of your purchase or lease that you agreed to at the time of your RAQ, and make sure that nothing has changed.

Bring someone with you who is not as excited about getting the car as you are, to keep you grounded and asking the right questions.

Be prepared to read and sign a lot of disclaimers that are specific to owning an electric car, and read them. Some people are surprised that the car won't always get 100 miles of range, for instance. You'll sign something that says that you understand that.

Don't be talked into extended warranties that you don't want. Some people believe in these warranties, especially on very complex cars. Others don't. Just don't feel railroaded into taking one if you don't want it. You should be able to think about it for a while before buying it.

Don't accept dealer fees that you don't understand, add-ons, or equipment that you didn't order. You've ordered the car and there's no rush to complete the deal, especially since the CA rebate has now dropped in half and won't be funded til the fall (there may be more time pressure for you in HI if the state funds for rebates are diminishing). If you need a day to think about the details of the deal or to come on this forum and ask questions, take the time.

Expect the transaction to take up to 3 hours. There are lots of forms to sign and the dealer will have someone spend half an hour going over the details of the car with you.

If you are in CA (I see that you're in HI, but this comment is for others, or perhaps applies to you for the HI state rebate, if applicable), have the dealer photocopy the DMV form that will be stuck on your windshield as your temporary registration. You'll need that copy to submit with your paperwork packet to the CCSE for your CA rebate. Also, make sure that you have an extra, legible copy of your sales or lease agreement, showing the dealer's signatures and well as your own. A copy of this also needs to be submitted to the CCSE.

Above all, have a great day. It's one that you'll long remember.

GREAT advice!

Pay attention especially to the first part. I went to pick up my Leaf last Sunday at Cerritos Nissan...it didn't happen. Make sure you don't get the same BS I got. Some of the less ethical dealers know they have you in a tough position and you'll agree to almost anything to get into the car then and there. Take a look:

http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=5003&start=40

Luckily everything worked out with another dealer and all is well. :)

Enjoy your Leaf!

And always walk in with outside financing already lined up. Unfortunately, a lot of people are forced to lease the LEAF because of the tax credit, but as a general rule it's important to be able to tell the dealer, "no thanks" if they start playing games with the financing.

I went to pick it up on Thursday but the dealer was lowballing my trade, so I left without buying the car. I knew it would be low, but not that low. My plan was buy the Leaf and try to private sell my car.

Went home, talked with my wife and we started to "count the cost" of private selling my car. I would get way more for my car than from the dealer, but we just don't have the time to deal with the hassles of a private sell. Soooo, I went back to the dealer and took their trade offer and went home with the Leaf.

The lessons:
- Had to eat it on the trade, but didn't have the stomach to sell it myself.
- Having outside financing is crucial, as stated above.
- Make sure you tell the sales person to charge your Leaf for the drive home. Mine didn't (23 miles on the battery) but I live close to the dealer.
- The Leaf is way, way cool. Happy with the decision.

fulabu said:
I went to pick it up on Thursday but the dealer was lowballing my trade, so I left without buying the car. I knew it would be low, but not that low. My plan was buy the Leaf and try to private sell my car.

Had a similar experience; dealer offered me $1,500 for our used Lexus, and refused to allow me to use credit union financing (I needed a sales contract, which he wouldn't write unless I got the loan there). We talked them into matching the CU interest rate, then sold the Lexus to CarMax the following day for $6,500. Made one payment to Chase and re-fi'ed with the credit union the following month, so wound up exactly where we wanted to be - eventually. :cool:

I was stunned at the $5k discount they tried to take on the trade-in, even though I told them about the CarMax price (I'd gotten a prior free estimate - anybody who trades-in at a dealership without trying CarMax first is simply giving their money away).

Bottom line: my advice is DO NOT FORGET you are dealing with a regular car dealer; the Nissan online ordering/tracking experience may lull you -- as it lulled me -- into thinking this is a new way to buy a car, but the actual dealership transaction, alas, was a bucket of cold, briny water in my face. There may be a number of 'enlightened' Nissan dealers out there, but don't assume yours is one of them. Mine was decidedly not.

Boomer23 said:
dealer will have someone spend half an hour going over the details of the car with you.
This will be interesting in my case. I already spent a bunch of time explaining the LEAF to them when I drove in with the Hertz rental LEAF.

fulabu said:

Went home, talked with my wife and we started to "count the cost" of private selling my car. I would get way more for my car than from the dealer, but we just don't have the time to deal with the hassles of a private sell. Soooo, I went back to the dealer and took their trade offer and went home with the Leaf.

The lessons:
- Had to eat it on the trade, but didn't have the stomach to sell it myself.
- Having outside financing is crucial, as stated above.
- Make sure you tell the sales person to charge your Leaf for the drive home. Mine didn't (23 miles on the battery) but I live close to the dealer.
- The Leaf is way, way cool. Happy with the decision.
take it to a used car lot, they will give you more than the dealer.

fulabu said:

The idea I when I pick up in September is to go through AutoTrader.com. This might be subject to availability and not available everywhere but it is for me! Anyway you can receive an appraisal from your car and subject to a test drive confirm the price prior to picking up the Leaf. You have the option of selling it to another dealer or if your Nissan dealer is part of their network trade it in during your Leaf transaction. Obviously the dealer could come up with some bogus wear and tear deductions but at least you have knowledge and options. I know my dealer monitors this forum so be warned...give me a fair price for my trade in! Unfortunately after waiting x number of months/years and the ability for the dealer to turn over an orphan you as a buyer are not in a very good negotiating position.

The dealership will probably want to "clean the car up" for you before delivery. Tell them "No thank you!". I forgot and there are visible swirls :cry: . Hope Zaino/Zymol will help.

EricH said:
Bottom line: my advice is DO NOT FORGET you are dealing with a regular car dealer; the Nissan online ordering/tracking experience may lull you -- as it lulled me -- into thinking this is a new way to buy a car, but the actual dealership transaction, alas, was a bucket of cold, briny water in my face. There may be a number of 'enlightened' Nissan dealers out there, but don't assume yours is one of them. Mine was decidedly not.

A lot of us avoided that problem by calling dealers before doing the RAQ to get the best deal, then got the deal in writing so those kind of things are eliminated and it goes smoothly without any surprises. It's an awesome, new way to buy/lease a car (if you do it properly)!

Back