Schneider EVSE

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have some more news on the intermittent charging issue:

Schneider now has a fix and is working out the details on how to roll it out. As I get more information about this I'll be sure to let you know.

The problem with the Schneider is not all that significant. You just can't turn your back on it after plugging in. You might come back later and be surprised to have gotten no charge; that's happened to me a couple of times.

I think it is still be best deal around and would like to have another. If they want me to send mine back for "the fix", I will suggest that they first sell me another one at an attractive price.

JasonT said:
I have some more news on the intermittent charging issue:

Schneider now has a fix and is working out the details on how to roll it out. As I get more information about this I'll be sure to let you know.

Good news! I haven't had any problems yet but I'm glad someone is working on making sure it's completely reliable.

Thanks for working on this. Never had a issue with the delayed charge option on the EVSE. I have just pressed the charge timer override button in the car if it fails to start charging otherwise. I don't use the charge timers on the car.

mckemie said:
The problem with the Schneider is not all that significant. You just can't turn your back on it after plugging in. <snip>
I think it is still be best deal around
Agreed. My best friend just ordered a Leaf himself and if he doesn't get in on the EV Project he's going to get a Schneider.

kmp647 said:
Any news on the fix for this evse

Its on my list with the spx unit for consideration in a couple months when my leaf arrives

Thanks

I received an email July 12 telling me that a fix was in the works. Nothing since.

What is "spx"?

mckemie said:
I received an email July 12 telling me that a fix was in the works. Nothing since.
Ditto. I was planning on doing another ping on Tuesday to find out what is up.

Got a phone call today - here's what I know:

• The fix and delivery of that fix has been figured out
  • The fix is a only a firmware update, no hardware changes.
  • Some of the delay was that this is a UL device, so Schneider had to get UL approval on the change
  • For me personally the plan is for an engineer to come out later this week or early next week to upload the firmware
  • All new units including units shipped last week have the firmware update
  • I do not have any specific instructions for other current users that do not have the fix yet.

For current users about all I could suggest is to try to contact Schneider if you haven't already. Since they now have a fix and a process they should be able to help you out now.

Schneider people showed up at my place today and put a new ROM in my EVSE. Great service; I expected to have to send my unit off for repair. I don't see how Schneider can make any money if they give this kind of service frequently. They sure didn't make any money on my unit. I have some guilt.

Now, the amusing part: The Schneider guy was from Cedar Rapids Iowa. I'm in central Texas, about 30 miles south of Austin. In another vehicle was a "licensed electrician" from a local firm. Though I think I heard him say he was from San Antonio, about 80 miles away. "How come there are two of you?" I ask. "Well, I need a licensed electrician to confirm the power is off before I open up the EVSE" the Schneider guy said. The electrician was laughing because all he did was pull the plug I had installed on the EVSE. I'm sure he billed at least two hours for this job. Maybe four.

Anyway, the electrician left and the Schneider guy messed around a few minutes, plugged the EVSE back into the power, plugged the EVSE into the Leaf and he was done.

Schneider person (Bob) showed up at my place yesterday to do the firmware update. As with mckemie's experience, the person was from Iowa, coming out to AZ to do the update.

It does sound like Shneider is giving special treatment to these initial units. I get the impression that they plan to have techs trained in how to flash the units and any future updates could be done by local techs. However, since the number of released units is fairly low and Schneider really wants "hands on" experience at this point they went this more personal route.

Unlike mckemie's experience though, Bob came out by himself. I don't know if we're more lax here in AZ than Texas is (which would surprise me) or what. I flipped off the breaker for him, he did the update, flipped the breaker back on and went on his way.

Since the problem has been intermittent, only time will tell if it's all resolved. I would be shocked (har har) if I have any more problems, though.

JasonT said:
Unlike mckemie's experience though, Bob came out by himself. I don't know if we're more lax here in AZ than Texas is (which would surprise me) or what. I flipped off the breaker for him, he did the update, flipped the breaker back on and went on his way.
I had given them a maps.google link to the EVSE location and told them they could do it in my absence. I failed to mention that the EVSE was on a plug so they may have figured that breaking the power could be a problem without someone familiar with my breaker box. As it happened, I was there when they arrived. I just hate to think of them wasting money on an electrician. I also hate to think of all the money that has been squandered on installing most of the EVSEs!

I called Munro and learned that the unit advertised is not in stock, and I wasn't able to get a cost of shipping. The representative is going to email me when the units are available and also the shipping cost.

BigTex said:
I called Munro and learned that the unit advertised is not in stock, and I wasn't able to get a cost of shipping. The representative is going to email me when the units are available and also the shipping cost.

When you "talk" to them, ask if they are going to charge out of state sales tax. Por favor.

JasonT said:
Since the problem has been intermittent, only time will tell if it's all resolved. I would be shocked (har har) if I have any more problems, though.
Just wanted to give a small follow-up on this. It's now been almost a month and I have not had a single failure. The day after the update I stopped watching to make sure the car was charging (a habit I got into with the failure) and I have not had any instances of coming out to find the car not charged. At this point I consider this matter to be 100% resolved.

JasonT said:
For anyone that is interested it looks like at least one online company is offering this unit for $750. I know nothing about the company, and I couldn't figure out how much shipping was going to be.
From another thread:
hodad66 said:

Home Depot $729 free shipping

http://www.homedepot.com/h_d1/N-5yc...P_PARENT_ID&storeId=10051&Ntpr=1&ddkey=Search

Back