Mountain Climb to Snoqualmie Pass Summit (Seattle, WA)

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rainnw

The Snoqualmie Pass summit is in the Cascade Mountain Range is about 54 miles east of Seattle, WA. Although not very tall compared to our other mountains (3022 feet), it is a freeway with a 70 mph speed limit!

I work about 46 miles away from the summit, and 17 miles of this is a very steep remote area with no services and very few turn offs. This critical part of this trip is a sort of sit-or-get-off-the-pot type of decision. I decided to charge to a full charge at the Redmond City Hall charging station to make sure i had a really good chance at this. It was 77F out, i set the fan to 1 and it kept the car comfortable.

Instead of taking I90 directly from the Bellevue/Redmond area (60-70 mph up hill freeway), i opted for the more relaxing highway 202 rated at 55. I averaged about the speed limit, but there are plenty of sunday drivers behind me going slower than I was, so on some of the steeper stretches i did drop down to 45 (driving with load).

Here is my route: http://bit.ly/pCHdpK

I arrived in north bend with 9 "fresh" bars indicated, 2 hours at 240V. I passed an RV park and headed towards the 468th onramp. So here was the moment of truth. I could turn back, or make a good run at this. I cleared the miles/kwh counter (showing 4.6) in the name of science.

The After 4 miles, i already lost a bar, squeaking in at 1.9 miles/kwhr. *gulp* I found some semi's to tail so I could at least keep my speed around 60-65 mph during the already steep climb. The speed limit is 70 here, and traffic is fast here. But I have no choice, this is the only legitimate route to the summit.

Eventually, my average levels off around 2.8-2.9 miles/khwr. I passed Denny Creek with 6 bars remaining (my point of no return), so I decided this was a go! There is about a 2 mile stretch just before the summit that is a very, very steep grade. A lot of semi's do 35-45 on this stretch, cars randomly break down off to the side here....since I have to charge 50 miles away, i decided to swallow my pride and follow the slow trucks up.

285194_10150741964105484_532240483_20037404_6504598_n.jpg

I chewed through bar 5 and rolled up to the summit with 4 bars. It was a very nice day at the top:

215131_10150741708960484_532240483_20035160_3990182_n.jpg

249332_10150741712960484_532240483_20035192_4531117_n.jpg

I got myself some coffee (and some water, since it was hot and i expected to be flat bedded home somewhere). By tonight, I figured id be writing a review on how roadside assistance worked from this far out. That wasn't the case.

As expected, regen just wasn't going to work at these speeds. Yes, of course, i could "regen".....if i had a death wish. But we are talking about people trying to make good time over the pass, whizzing by even faster than before since its a downhill free for all. I decided to keep it in neutral and roll at around 65 to keep up with traffic. I had people slowing down and gawking at me. What a sight i guess.

This worked a couple miles and then I had to use some power to make it all the way to north bend. To my surprise, I was down to 3 bars in north bend. I pulled off the freeway and took the backroads for a few exits, so I could work out a game plan -- take highway 18 home or return to Bellevue and find a charging station.

I have a LEAF friend in the Bellevue area (which ironically, is about the same distance as the local mall with L2 charging), so i decided to go to his place and charge up for a while. The mall is great, but i'd rather chat up LEAFs instead, as he did his own epic drive that day. I rolled up in his driveway just as the --- came on, for a total of about 90 miles on this trip.

I charged up for exactly 2 hours, with 4 bars indicated, and decided to head home. BTW, home is about 30 miles away. I rolled up with dashes (indicated for 3 miles) and popped it on the charger.

Total drive from Redmond City Hall to Bellevue to Home: 126.7 miles ... or 162.2 miles if you count the morning drive to work.

185324_10150741969995484_532240483_20037449_4147023_n.jpg

Gasless: rainnw just did a really cool thing, risking a big inconvenience to advance our knowledge of what the LEAF can do. If you'll just take the tiny amount of time needed to read his post, the answer to your question is quite clear.

Nicely done, yes indeed ! *BUT* I don't understand the "no regen" decision :?

( I would have used CruiseControl and taken advantage of that downhill regen. )

evnow said:
So, who is trying Mt Rainier ?
Already done! :cool:

On June 29th I posted a trip report to abasile's mountain driving thread (http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=31&t=3512&start=30) about getting over Chinook Pass.

Unfortunately the weather was not good and the snow too high to get a picture of our Leaf with the mountain in back. However I did catch a good day earlier this week at the Pass:
Leaf%20and%20Mt%20Rainier.JPG

Also we took a trip back over the pass and up to Crystal Mountain Ski area last week to ride the new gondola. While there, I plugged into one of their RV hookups, though I could have made it back to the cabin without it. Crystal didn't charge me as they still don't know what their policy toward EVs is. They only have 120V outlets at the RV spots in parking lot "B".
Leaf%20at%20Crystal%20Mt.jpg

The secret to getting up to Cayuse/Chinook Passes is to top off your charge at the Enumclaw Expo campground. They have 50 amp service available, but not many so you should contact Kristen Damazio <[email protected]> to make sure that there will be spaces available before going.

Tomorrow, we're going to take the Leaf back to Bellevue for a couple of days to take care of some business before coming back to the cabin. It's a 100 mile trip, with a 2500' climb at the beginning, but I'm hoping to get enough re-gen between Chinook Pass and Enumclaw to make it all the way home without stopping for a charge.

I'd like to take the Leaf up to Paradise, but I don't think we would make it back without a charge somewhere in the park, and I have not found a way to do that..... YET! :)

DaveL said:
I'd like to take the Leaf up to Paradise, but I don't think we would make it back without a charge somewhere in the park, and I have not found a way to do that..... YET! :)
When I said Mt Rainier that is what I meant ...

LEAFer said:
Nicely done, yes indeed ! *BUT* I don't understand the "no regen" decision :?

( I would have used CruiseControl and taken advantage of that downhill regen. )

I really need to try a few different techniques down this hill, but with wind resistance and this particular grade, the car won't regen. It actually takes a little bit of power to maintain 75-80, which is the flow of traffic. If I could manage 40-50, I bet I could have got a really good charge here. The tesla guys (who have test data on this run) told me specifically that they see little to no regen opportunity.

But here's the point of this. I am not interested in maxing out my miles/kwh, i am interested in practicality. Otherwise, there would be no point in making this attempt. Who the heck cares if you can crawl up the pass from Seattle at 38 miles per hour or regenerate the entire battery putting along at 40 mph, only to get smashed into by a semi? How does that promote electric cars, the practicality of owning one, and most importantly, the planning of quick charge and level 2 infrastructure so people can drive up their electric car and go skiing at the summit?

Ask yourself, what would mom or grandma do?

That being said, I have not tested the behavior of cruise control, I have my doubts...but maybe someone has some conclusive data already that might change my mind.

evnow said:
DaveL said:
When I said Mt Rainier that is what I meant ...

Would a portable gas generator be considered cheating? There are a lot of one way camping trips we can make in the leaf, Including a way to make paradise, but we'd have to level 1 overnight.

rainnw said:
Would a portable gas generator be considered cheating? There are a lot of one way camping trips we can make in the leaf, Including a way to make paradise, but we'd have to level 1 overnight.
Not in my book! :lol:

Paradise is going to be a challenge, unless you happen to live in Eatonville, Morton or closer to the mountain.

I've calculated that I can make it there from my cabin going up Stevens Canyon, but I would be surprised to have more than a bar left by the time we would get up to Paradise. While it's only a 55 mile trip for me, there is a 2500' rise in 19 miles followed by 14 miles of a 3000' drop followed by a 3000' rise during the last 22 miles.

While I would re-gen quite a bit going back down Stevens Canyon, it wouldn't be enough to make the 3000' climb back up Cayuse/Chinook passes. So a charge at the top would be necessary.

My wife and I have reservations to stay at the Paradise Inn mid September. If I can get permission to plug in, then we'll take the Leaf up.

By the way, thanks for the great trip report!

Anyone being to Stevens pass yet?
I see some chargepoints on the map, so I wonder if it would be feasible to drive up there from Bellevue/Redmond area, charge there and come back.

UkrainianKozak said:
Anyone being to Stevens pass yet?
I see some chargepoints on the map, so I wonder if it would be feasible to drive up there from Bellevue/Redmond area, charge there and come back.

The launch party had a Nissan LEAF flatbed into gold bar, and I know someone has a cabin around this area who could Level 1 at that location.

Otherwise, nobody has made the attempt.

My personal inclination is to drive into Wooden Cross, go to church, and leave that location on a full charge. If you hypermile up to highway 2 and take it easy on the way up, i bet you could make it.

I think the Duvall chargepoint station might be a good launch for a Stevens Pass attempt as well. It's in a great location right in downtown Duvall. A charge station in Monroe would be ideal though.

SeattleBlueLeaf said:
I think the Duvall chargepoint station might be a good launch for a Stevens Pass attempt as well. It's in a great location right in downtown Duvall. A charge station in Monroe would be ideal though.

Is it closer than the church one?

Just a random thought, but would an edited narrative video of a never-been-tried climb be interesting?

I feel like an Icelander discussing things with the Columbus bunch---who got there first?

I got to the top, no tow truck, no range anexity--just a bueatiful 111.6 mile round trip drive in my LEAF. First BEV to use the Stevens Pass EVSE.

Just as point of interest--my trip was from East Wenatchee to Stevens Pass--Yes, Virginia, there are two ways to Stevens Pass.

Here is the link to the event-----http://www.plugincenter.net/

I still don't understand the no-regen or the 75-80 mph thing. I've driven that Pass many times and there are always trucks geared down doing 55 -60 mph or so on the down hill. I've also never exceeded 75 mph even coasting in neutral. No, I don't have the wind profile of a Leaf, but still. I would have expected some regen at reasonable speeds (55-70 mph).

I've also driven up the pass doing (gasp) 55 mph or less in my 4-cylinder ICE. Since there are now four lanes and I rarely even see congestion (but then again I'm not leaving Seattle on Friday before Memorial Day, that would be idiotic!). Sometimes trucks can be going 30 mph in the right lane with campers going 45 mph in the next lane, etc. What's the problem? Learning how to drive around obstacles instead of through them should be our first lesson in driver's training.

Reddy.......and still waiting for my Leaf sometime in August.

rainnw said:
...Who the heck cares if you can crawl up the pass from Seattle at 38 miles per hour or regenerate the entire battery putting along at 40 mph, only to get smashed into by a semi? How does that promote electric cars, the practicality of owning one, and most importantly, the planning of quick charge and level 2 infrastructure so people can drive up their electric car and go skiing at the summit? ....
Sorry, I must have skimmed over that part in my first read. Yes, if you want to blast from Seattle to the ski area for a few hours of skiing, leaving late Saturday morning, and then head back down that night, I agree. My suggestion is to have DC QC in North Bend that should allow you to be the fastest car up to the Pass. You will then arrive at the top with plenty of charge, regen a bit back down (don't bother charging at the top just as you did), and then charge at the bottom somewhere on the way home, refueling the body as well.

Reddy

Reddy said:
I still don't understand the no-regen or the 75-80 mph thing. I've driven that Pass many times and there are always trucks geared down doing 55 -60 mph or so on the down hill. I've also never exceeded 75 mph even coasting in neutral. No, I don't have the wind profile of a Leaf, but still. I would have expected some regen at reasonable speeds (55-70 mph).

I've also driven up the pass doing (gasp) 55 mph or less in my 4-cylinder ICE. Since there are now four lanes and I rarely even see congestion (but then again I'm not leaving Seattle on Friday before Memorial Day, that would be idiotic!). Sometimes trucks can be going 30 mph in the right lane with campers going 45 mph in the next lane, etc. What's the problem? Learning how to drive around obstacles instead of through them should be our first lesson in driver's training.

Reddy.......and still waiting for my Leaf sometime in August.

Are you armchair hypermiling your way up and down the pass in a virtual LEAF?! :lol: :lol: Regen is probably the most overrated feature on the car. It takes a very steep grade at a low speed in order for the vehicle to maintain or increase the current speed.

My test run was on a very nice friday afternoon, with a lot of fast cars over the pass in either direction.

Back