First Public Pedestal Chargers Installed - Tempe, AZ

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
They are at Monti's La Casa Vieja Steakhouse. It has been at that location for many years and serves some very good steaks. Normally I would not stop at a steakhouse, as I typically cook my own, but I do so to help support them as they do help to support EVs.

If the Blink EVSE's are installed in the parking lot of a restaurant like this, does it mean that only restaurant's patrons are allowed to use it? Or can anyone not using the restaurant can still park there and charge, too? Is it truly a public charger, or did the restaurant pay to have it installed?

While visiting Tempe for the fireworks yesterday, I passed by the two Blink stations, and was disappointed to see that the screen was broken on each of them.
01brokenblink.jpg

Nobody was using them at the time, so I don't know if they still work.

It looks like the screen just invites vandalism. If this continues, I wonder if they can make these without the screen?

That's so sad to see. I agree that the screen definitely invites vandalism. The AV stations I see around the dealerships with just the buttons and LED status lights seem simple enough to operate and more vandal-proof.

It makes me shudder to think what may happen to Leafs charging there if the vandals are nearby and see Leafs using the charge stations and are on a mission to vandalize the Leafs as well because they're jealous of the whole thing.

I think all charging station should have some kind of security video camera attached to it up high (out of reach of the vandals) with blinking lights to make it obvious that the area is under surveillance and being recorded. It's not 100% vandal proof but at least helps serve as a deterrence.

That's a lingering question I had - was this just vandalism because they were easy to vandalize, or was it because of some sort of 'protest' against electric vehicles.

These two charging stations are around the back of the restaurant, so I suppose they were easier targets.

Do report this to Blink...they may not know. I doubt it's a anti-EV thing, probably just random. People are barely aware EVs exist. Since the commercial units don't seem to use the toushscreen in normal operation, maybe they can just install heavy plexiglas in front of the screen.

Gonewild said:
Did everyone get there Blink RFID card yet?

No.... :evil:

They told me that several folks here in Arizona have their cards even those without EV's.
I ordered mine last month and was told to expect the card in 2 to 3 months. Arrgggg

davewill said:
Do report this to Blink...they may not know. I doubt it's a anti-EV thing, probably just random. People are barely aware EVs exist. Since the commercial units don't seem to use the toushscreen in normal operation, maybe they can just install heavy plexiglas in front of the screen.

So, I did and just got a response from them. I also asked them about upgrading the Sky Harbor charging stations to J1772:

Subject: Ticket #: 001-00-005572 In Process -- AZC-0023 Monti's LaCasa Vieja Steakhouse - RE: Blink Chargers at Monti's in Tempe

Dave,

Thank you for bringing this to our attention. We’ve replaced the units today.

As for the Sky Harbor EV stations - We did do surveys to replace units at Sky Harbor Terminal 4, only one set, and a new set for Terminal 3.

Best Regards,

Brian Kozma
Blink Network, NOC
P: (888) 998-BLINK(2546)
F: (248) 232-5425
[email protected]

Back