Huge rattle from center dashboard

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

twingo

I have a huge rattle from the center dashboard area. Seems to be coming from the display area. Is there anyone out there who has removed the center console that would share how it's done? I'd rather not go through the hassle of going to the dealer if I could do it myself.

The whole shiny black frame around the NAV screen is held on with very strong clips. You start the process of taking it off by just gripping it and pulling it off. In my case, it took four hands to provide enough force to get it out of the clips. Once you free it from the clips, then there are hooks on each side that need to be undone, and then the wires need to be unclipped from the plugs to completely pull the cover off....

sub01a.jpg

sub01b.jpg

sub01c.jpg

This is fantastic, exactly what I was looking for. Thank you kindly.

BTW, I'm in Escondido and have had my Silver Leaf for about 7 weeks - 1,600 miles.

I have the same Rattle!!! VN ending 3231 purchased May 28, 2011. I think I will let the dealer handle it? What is the time limit on 'dealer adjustment?'

Thanks

I believe I have the same rattle but it is not too loud ... yet. I was trying to figure it out if it makes any difference if the car is cold or hot. It looked to me that was not so loud when hot. Maybe it is one of the connectors that needs repositioning?

I disassembled the center panel as the pictures show. it was really easy except figuring out how to unlock the connectors took a while. I reached into every area I could seaching for anything that could rattle and did not find anything! There is a plastic brace above the cd/nav unit that seems could rattle and I added a foam cushion under it. When I drove over the bricks in my neighborhood this morning, the rattle was still there but a little less obnoxious. Still it is not something I could live with. I'll probably do some more diagnosis like driving with the display in the open position and the same with the glovebox to see if there is any relationship with those things. Mine is so load it almost sounds like a metal bracket that came undone and is banging against another piece of metal.

davewill said:
This should be covered under warranty. Why not let the dealer fix it ?

I'm sure it is covered, but if I can do it easily, it is much less hassle than going to the dealer, leaving the car, arranging for alternative transportation, etc.

I don't have the rattle, and I'd know cause I'm one of those who can hear the whine. :lol: Fixing minor issues yourself can be a good thing, but before everyone starts trying to solve the problem themselves they need to remember that locating the actual source of a rattle can be tricky. What seems to be a rattle in the dash might be originating somewhere else, like the wheels. That said, unless there is a service bulletin of some kind the dealer is likely to do exactly what twingo did -- start tearing the dash apart and stuffing.

There is a treadmill for the mouse powered tech they use in the unit. After some running the belt gets loose but the dealer can tighten it, if you leave some cheese behind the dash you may not have to use the "ok" button anymore. I hear the ESFLOW uses a rat but that is purely rumor.

EVDRIVER said:
There is a treadmill for the mouse powered tech they use in the unit. After some running the belt gets loose but the dealer can tighten it, if you leave some cheese behind the dash you may not have to use the "ok" button anymore. I hear the ESFLOW uses a rat but that is purely rumor.

EVDriver: You've just given me a terrific idea!! If I get a rattle (hope I do!) I'm going to show your post to my wife. My problem of her hoarding the Leaf will be solved. I'll be able to drive it any time I want. Life will be good!

Is this forum great-----or what? :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

I was sure I had the same rattle? Made the same type of noise...first only on bad roads and then on all roads. I took the car to Serramonte Nissan, service adviser Jay. They did a test in their lot and heard the rattle. They discovered the rattle was caused by the driver's side (me) sun visor not being fully snapped in! Nice people at the dealership and they recharged the car, all done under warranty.

I too had this rattle crop up during my second week with my new Leaf. I was SURE it was coming from the center dash area. Then, the rattle would mysteriously stop for several days. Then, it would start again. I finally found out the cause. My sunglasses in the overhead holder were causing a rattle that sounded like it was coming from the center dash area! Now, I keep my sunglasses in the cup holder and no more rattles!

WAM said:
I too had this rattle crop up during my second week with my new Leaf. I was SURE it was coming from the center dash area. Then, the rattle would mysteriously stop for several days. Then, it would start again. I finally found out the cause. My sunglasses in the overhead holder were causing a rattle that sounded like it was coming from the center dash area! Now, I keep my sunglasses in the cup holder and no more rattles!

Reminds me of a story about someone with a strange intermittent clicking noise on their bicycle, that seemed as if it just had to be coming from the drivetrain, but could not be cured despite all sorts of tightening, regreasing etc. of the cranks, pedals, bottom bracket, chainrings etc. It didn't always occur, but would always come back at some point. Wasn't the saddle/seatpost as it could happen seated or standing. I think handlebars/stem/headset were eliminated similarly. Turned out to be jersey zipper tab clicking against the helmet buckle.

I have the humorous thought that maybe one of the assembly workers ignored the label on the back of the nav unit: "To throw away in case of free fall." :)

WAM said:
My sunglasses in the overhead holder were causing a rattle that sounded like it was coming from the center dash area! Now, I keep my sunglasses in the cup holder and no more rattles!

Same thing happened to me! Every little bump would cause a rattle that sounded like it was in the glovebox to me, but my wife said it sounded like it was coming from my driver side and then I listened very closely and it seemed to be coming from the nav unit (thought I had the dreaded console rattle). I discovered that I had put my sunglasses in the opposite way and when I switched them around, no more rattle!
WAM, did you try repositioning them in the overhead holder (worked for me!)?

LEAFfan said:
WAM said:
My sunglasses in the overhead holder were causing a rattle that sounded like it was coming from the center dash area! Now, I keep my sunglasses in the cup holder and no more rattles!

Same thing happened to me! Every little bump would cause a rattle that sounded like it was in the glovebox to me, but my wife said it sounded like it was coming from my driver side and then I listened very closely and it seemed to be coming from the nav unit (thought I had the dreaded console rattle). I discovered that I had put my sunglasses in the opposite way and when I switched them around, no more rattle!
WAM, did you try repositioning them in the overhead holder (worked for me!)?
Maybe it's time for a new Leaf mod: one soft felt lining in the sunglass holder.

philaphonic said:
LEAFfan said:
WAM said:
Same thing happened to me!
Maybe it's time for a new Leaf mod: one soft felt lining in the sunglass holder.
This is going way off-topic, but I've given up on using that holder for my sunglasses until next winter. I toss them into that depression in front of the cup holders, where they stay much cooler. So the mod I want is insulation between the sunglasses holder and the roof.

Ray

RickS said:
+1

I have that rattle too after only 1,500 miles.

I also had the rattle last week. Pounded on the console a bit and it hasn't come back.

It could be that one of the clips is loose or wasn't set correctly.

Back