Deceptively fast?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Its hard to get someone to race you, given the fact there is nothing to rev.

The 0-30 and 0-40 time is quite impressive in this car. Yes, I have actually had people attempt to race me (looking at me, reving, and gunning it)...and get completely bent out of shape when they catch up to me after i hit the speed limit (35-40).

aqn said:
And furthermore, the LEAF cranks out 200+ ft-lbs at zero RPM.

Although the Leaf's motor may be capable of this, I'm not sure it ever really does produce this torque right at zero. The power meter (and the seat of the pants meter) indicates that the software ramps up the power over a second or two. This doesn't change with traction control off either.

Electric4Me said:
aqn said:

Although the Leaf's motor may be capable of this, I'm not sure it ever really does produce this torque right at zero. The power meter (and the seat of the pants meter) indicates that the software ramps up the power over a second or two. This doesn't change with traction control off either.
X2 for the seat of the pants meter

TEG said:
Keep in mind that with a fixed gear ratio the Leaf acts like it is always stuck in "4th" gear.
I feel the opposite. With about 8:1 drive ratio the motor seems ready to rip at any modest speed.
At 30 mph the motor should already be at 3300 rpm. That is not 4th.

smkettner said:
TEG said:
Keep in mind that with a fixed gear ratio the Leaf acts like it is always stuck in "4th" gear.
I feel the opposite. With about 8:1 drive ratio the motor seems ready to rip at any modest speed.

Well, based on 10,390 RPM max, and use our trusty horsepower formula, HP = Torque x RPM / 5252, we find that 3300 RPM is way down on the HP formula curve.

But, 207 foot pounds of torque obviously isn't available at 10,390 RPM, since that would be over 400 horsepower.

aqn said:
And finally, this thread's title should probably read "Deceptively quick?" not "Deceptively fast?".
I agree with this. In fact, I think the title should be "Casually quick," since the hallmark of the Leaf's performance for me is how easily and quickly it comes off the line from a standing start without any muss or fuss, needing no coordinated, complex or machinery-rending inputs from the driver. It is this effortless launch that is startling, but the impression of speed is all over at 25-30 mph for me. From there on, the performance seems mundane or at least fairly ordinary--nothing to compare with some of the truly fast cars I have driven, which can continue to accelerate strongly to 100mph and beyond hard enough to press your eyeballs back in your skull and derange the passing scenery into a blur. It can be a stealthy little beast from stoplight to stoplight in the city, even for an unskilled driver, but beyond the first block, it's just another econobox, albeit a very quiet one...

By the time a Leaf gets to 60mph, a 911 GT2RS is going 120mph. That is fast...
TT

Yep, it definitely ramps. I'm sure this was done to lessen the stress on the drive line and, perhaps, to also lessen the chance for people to get themselves in trouble, by somewhat replicating the take off curve of an ICE car...

Electric4Me said:
aqn said:

TEG said:
An overall ratio of 7.9 is about second gear in some, and probably many, ICE cars. Cases in point: a 1997 VW GTI has final drive ratio of 3.67 and second gear ratio of 1.94 (7.1 overall), a 2006 VW GTI has final drive ratio of 3.94 and second gear ratio of 2.09 (8.2 overall).

smkettner said:
TonyWilliams said:
Well, based on 10,700 RPM max (I think that's right), and use our trusty horsepower formula, HP = Torque x RPM / 5252, we find that 3300 RPM is way down on the HP formula curve.
If this document is to be believed, the LEAF's motor makes ts max torque of 206 ft-lbs from 0-2730 rpm and max power of 107 bhp from 2730-9800 rpm. That means the motor puts out max torque between 0 and approximately 24 mph (assuming top speed of 94 mph and max engine RPM of 10,390).

I still say that the LEAF feels quick off the line because it is quick off the line. I went looking for dyno graphs, but could not find any that show readings below 2000 or 2500 rpm, but many "performance cars" shows around the same torque at 2000+ rpm:
Cayman S: 200 ft-lbs @ 2500
Porsche Twin Turbo: 150 ft-lbs @ 1750 rpm,
Porsche 911 Turbo Cabriolet: 120 ft-lbs @ 1000 rpm
2009 Nissan GT-R: 250 ft-lbs @ 2000 rpm
2008 Porsche 911 Turbo: 340 ft-lbs @ 2500 rpm
2007 Porsche GT4 RS: 175 ft-lbs @ 2250 rpm
Porsche Carrea 3.2: 170 ft-lbs @ 2250 rpm

aqn said:
If this document is to be believed, the LEAF's motor makes ts max torque of 206 ft-lbs from 0-2730 rpm and max power of 107 bhp from 2730-9800 rpm. That means the motor puts out max torque between 0 and approximately 24 mph (assuming top speed of 94 mph and max engine RPM of 10,390).
IMHO, that document shows the raw specs of the motor before Nissan applies their ECU, BMS, and "drive by wire" throttle controls to the motor's output. There is no way that they would allow the engine to apply full power instantly to the wheels from a standing start--that would be detrimental to the battery pack as well as the drivetrain, and the tires do not have sufficient grip to apply it to the ground anyway. I concur with the others who believe the Leaf's software moderates and "ramps up" a full power application much slower than the motor's full capability.

I still say that the LEAF feels quick off the line because it is quick off the line. I went looking for dyno graphs, but could not find any that show readings below 2000 or 2500 rpm, but many "performance cars" shows around the same torque at 2000+ rpm:
[snipped examples]
Yes, it is true that ICE engines do not develop max torque at low RPMs. This does NOT mean that they cannot launch quickly off the line. The clutch and gearing and driver skill can be combined to make sure that the car is never out of the meaty part of the powerband, even from a dead stop. The most important aspect in accelerating a vehicle is grip, and the Leaf is sorely lacking in this part of the equation, regardless of how much torque it may have available. The tires are the single most important factor in acceleration performance (and braking and cornering as well). If the coefficient of friction of the tire contact patch is not sufficient to transfer the power to the ground, it doesn't matter how much power is applied. With the wider, softer compound tires that are standard equipment on a modern sports car, and a skilled driver (or modern launch control software), any of the performance vehicles you cite will absolutely smoke a Leaf off the line, no matter how "quick" it may feel. The stopwatch doesn't lie.
Despite the anemic 175 ft-lbs @ 2250rpm, a new GT3 RS (there is no 911 GT4 yet, BTW) will do 0-60mph in 3.5 seconds (without launch control). There is no way the Leaf could stay with it, even to 20-30 mph.

TT

aqn said:
If this document is to be believed, the LEAF's motor makes ts max torque of 206 ft-lbs from 0-2730 rpm and max power of 107 bhp from 2730-9800 rpm.
ttweed said:
IMHO, that document shows the raw specs of the motor before Nissan applies their ECU, BMS, and "drive by wire" throttle controls to the motor's output. There is no way that they would allow the engine to apply full power instantly to the wheels from a standing start[...]
Nissan is a killjoy.
bonk.gif

aqn said:
ttweed said:
[snipped examples]
Yes, it is true that ICE engines do not develop max torque at low RPMs. This does NOT mean that they cannot launch quickly off the line. The clutch and gearing and driver skill can be combined to make sure that the car is never out of the meaty part of the powerband,[...]
Of course; no argument from me on that.

ttweed said:
The most important aspect in accelerating a vehicle is grip, and the Leaf is sorely lacking in this part of the equation, [...]
It's lacking something, but so far I don't think it's grip that's lacking, at least not where launching hard is concerned. If grip was that lacking, I'd have lit up the tires a whole lot more frequently. I think I've done that only once.

I was next to a late-model Range Rover that appeared like it wanted to "race" (don't ask me why anybody would want to race a LEAF!). We both launched hard away from the light. One of us lit up our tires pretty good. It wasn't just a few quick chirps but a good long squeal. I couldn't tell whether it was me or him. Anyway, the Range Rover, depending on the particular model and the particular test, is capable of 0-60 of 5.5 secs, 5.9 secs, or 6.4 secs. In other words, it will stomp a LEAF. However, we were dead even up to the next traffic light, about 400 feet away.

Now, the Range Rover's lard ass (almost 3 tons!!!) couldn't possibly have helped its off-the-line time, nor the short distance of that "race". Another block or so and the result would have been as expected, with the RR stomping the LEAF. However, the event illustrated to me the "usefulness" of the LEAF's kind of performance.

Oh, and I think one of the reasons why it's not so easy to light up the LEAF's front tires is because of its low center of gravity.

ttweed said:
[...] regardless of how much torque it may have available. The tires are the single most important factor in acceleration performance (and braking and cornering as well). If the coefficient of friction of the tire contact patch is not sufficient to transfer the power to the ground, it doesn't matter how much power is applied. With the wider, softer compound tires that are standard equipment on a modern sports car, and a skilled driver (or modern launch control software), any of the performance vehicles you cite will absolutely smoke a Leaf off the line,
You think?
working.gif

I have no illusion about the LEAF's acceleration ability, nor about whether I get to use all 206 ft-lbs right from zero rpm and time T0. But it has proven useful at all the right times and in all the right places.

ttweed said:
no matter how "quick" it may feel. The stopwatch doesn't lie. Despite the anemic 175 ft-lbs @ 2250rpm, a new GT3 RS (there is no 911 GT4 yet, BTW) will do 0-60mph in 3.5 seconds (without launch control). There is no way the Leaf could stay with it, even to 20-30 mph.

TT
How about in the first 10 feet? Maybe even the first twenty five feet? Afterall, if I ever really need to get in front of somebody, all I would need is about two car lengths, maybe forty feet max. Ditto if I ever feel like annoying the pilot of a "performance car"!
biggrinbounce2.gif

aqn said:
I was next to a late-model Range Rover that appeared like it wanted to "race" (don't ask me why anybody would want to race a LEAF!).

That's what I eventually want to see, some videos, or at least reports of short range acceleration of the LEAF vs a few of the commonly seen, decent performing (i.e. 0-60 in7 seconds or so) consumer cars. After reading the responses here, the take home message for me is that the LEAF easily and effortlessly gets itself going quickly in the hands of an average driver, while a commonplace ICE demands more from a driver to match that same low speed acceleration.

aqn said:
It's lacking something, but so far I don't think it's grip that's lacking, at least not where launching hard is concerned. If grip was that lacking, I'd have lit up the tires a whole lot more frequently.
Unless, of course, the Nissan engineers intentionally moderated the torque application from the engine to ramp up in full throttle application at exactly the rate that the stock tires can put power to the ground without slipping too much in dry conditions, which is what I believe they did.

aqn said:
How about in the first 10 feet? Maybe even the first twenty five feet?
The hole shot is mostly a matter of reaction time. You've got a good chance with anyone who isn't expecting it. :D

Just don't go picking on any of them 4WD turbos--their 60-ft. times can be phenomenal. :shock:

TT

ttweed said:
...It can be a stealthy little beast from stoplight to stoplight in the city, even for an unskilled driver, but beyond the first block, it's just another econobox, albeit a very quiet one...

+1

10-30MPH is the "sweet spot".

An old thread yes, but wanted to report a yellow 2010 era mustang tried to outrun my 18 MY at a red light and I basically left him in the dust all the way past 50 mph or so. Comical to hear his engine revving wondering how did this hatch go so fast?

DougWantsALeaf said:
From a rolling start, my 19 SV Plus feels very fast.

When wife was shopping for her smart ED replacement last year we took out a 2019 SV plus. Quite a bit faster than my 2016 SV and her smart ED. I’m not sure I would say twice as fast but a marked difference.

Still miss her little smart ED convertible though. That was a fun car...and simple, which for me gains points. Her Tesla model 3 is great but I still love the simplicity of sliding into my 2016 SV. Sorry, off topic.

jdcbomb said:
An old thread yes, but wanted to report a yellow 2010 era mustang tried to outrun my 18 MY at a red light and I basically left him in the dust all the way past 50 mph or so. Comical to hear his engine revving wondering how did this hatch go so fast?

I had a similar experience with our SL Plus with a late model X5. Wasn't really paying attention, hopped on it a bit just for fun, and then heard this engine roaring to my right... I hit the brakes to let him in, since he was running out of room. No contest. It's quite fast.

Back