Things you don't need when you own a Nissan Leaf

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
- Don't need to hold my breath for fear of breathing in exhaust poison when the Leaf is on and I have to get something from the rear hatch.

- Don't need to keep the windows closed while idling the Leaf in closed spaces like a garage.

- Don't need to smell the poison gas that is evaporating while filling up at the gas pump or worry about dribbling gas on the side of the car and stinking like a refinery for 10 minutes afterward while it evaporates of the car.

- Don't need to give my money to companies I despise like the Koch Bros, Chev, Exx and BP/Arc (It wasn't me it was you, and no I won't to take you back, no matter how many full page adds you have in the media that say "WE CARE"; goodbye for good and I plan to take my friends with me... don't get any crazy ideas like putting ev stations at your pump locations either, I still won't care to stop).

Ah the gas free good life :)
(2,000 miles so far)

Don't have to wait in line or position you car to get gas.
No more waiting in line to pay for gas.
No more gas spills or overflow when filling up.
Don't have to go to bank to get cash for gas.
No more worries about credit card skimmers if you don't use cash.
No smog check certificates and inspections.

DeaneG said:
No longer need:

Brake pad replacements at 30K miles (regenerative braking, pads last life of car)

At 100,000 miles my Prius with regenerative braking had brake pads down by only 30%. That means approximately 250,000 mile life on the pads. I hope that the Leaf (and Prius too) will last much longer that just 250k miles.

Herm said:
The most expensive part to replace lately has been automatic transmissions, and there have been many failures recently.. in cars 3 to 10 year old.

We had 5 tranny replacements on the same Dodge Caravan. Finally donated that car at 120,000 miles.

What you don't need... basically everything in this commercial for an innovative product to mask the engine to the driver :)

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U6DBfrpRhFQ[/youtube]

I have a Leaf and am a huge fan, but I did want to throw a little reality check in here. Do we really think that the Leaf versions of many of these things (e.g. Electric Motor, Reducer instead of Transmission, etc) are never going to need replacing either?

And, of course, at some point we're going to need to replace our batteries, right? The ones they have no idea what they're going to charge us for?

cpreston said:
... Do we really think that the Leaf versions of many of these things (e.g. Electric Motor, Reducer instead of Transmission, etc) are never going to need replacing either?

And, of course, at some point we're going to need to replace our batteries, right? The ones they have no idea what they're going to charge us for?
Yeah there definitely might be some irrational exuberance here at MNL. However, my neighbor has a lot of forklifts with 10+ year old engines at his work, different type of motor & work cycle, but I still think you're gonna have to drive for an awful long time before you need to replace the drive components in a LEAF.

The battery is definitely a more of an unknown and higher risk. The question is two fold: (1) will we need to replace it in 10yrs, 7yrs, or 3yrs? and (2) will demand continue to grow so that companies will invest in the technology? If acceptance of EVs accelerates the way we'd all like, battery costs should come down and performance will improve, so replacement could be an upgrade cheaper than buying a new car. However, if people continue to think EVs are not going to work for them (thanx to never ending FUD) combined with the US government giving up on EVs (which looks more & more likely every day given current rhetoric), we could be left in the cold. That would be a tragedy and yet another example of American shortsightedness, but given our government's inability to so much as provide a hint of a coherent Energy Policy in the last 15yrs, it is looking much more probable than EV success to me.

I'm anticipating that my battery will last b/c I am operating within 30-80% most of the time. But I hedged my bets by going with a lease so that I could either upgrade in 3yrs without a white elephant on my hands or, if works the way I hope it will, keep the car for only a little bit more than as if I bought it.

EricBayArea said:
What you don't need... basically everything in this commercial for an innovative product to mask the engine to the driver :)

But there are some people who do find the Nissan Leaf high pitched whine noise irritating, as discussed in other threads. It personally doesn't bother me, I kind of like it.
But some people really dislike it.
If it is technically unavoidable (or not economic to avoid / minimize it in the Leaf design), Nissan might need to consider the active noise reduction discussed in the video.

TimLee said:
EricBayArea said:

But there are some people who do find the Nissan Leaf high pitched whine noise irritating, as discussed in other threads. It personally doesn't bother me, I kind of like it.
But some people really dislike it.
If it is technically unavoidable (or not economic to avoid / minimize it in the Leaf design), Nissan might need to consider the active noise reduction discussed in the video.

It doesn't bother me either but could easily be fixed with passive sound deadener material under the hood as there are limited frequencies to block.

Adding to the list:
Fan Belt replacement
Altenator belt replacement

Back