EV Project/Blink Installs

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just got a call from the contractor that was going to do my EV Project Blink install on Tuesday. Apparently GWP is now requiring second meters for EV chargers?

This rule just came down. Insane. I'm a little mad right now.

Needless to say my install has been postponed.

Got my Blink charging station installed today. I believe it is a rather unique install, so i am providing a link to my Flickr pics (2). I have a carport in which the supports are 4' from the side of the house. I had the installer put the charging station on the house, but wanted to mount the cord reel on one of the carport supports. i had an black acrylic mounting plate fabricated locally. the plate is 18" round on one side and 18" square on the opposite, mounting side. slightly over sized U bolts were used at a 60 degree angle to secure the plate to the support. the installer let me mount the cord reel while he worked on the charging station. i think it all came out pretty slick. now if only they would deliver my car (dash says July).

http://www.flickr.com/photos/johnnycee/5689520356/in/set-72157626650831914

Getting mine installed tomorrow. Wish me luck. :) Hope there aren't any surprises like "hey this costs much more than we thought"

My Blink installation was just done by Sunwest Electric, with second meter at my request. They were on schedule and on time, courteous and professional. They did a neat, quick, and careful job, with no surprises, and no charge. No money, that is; it came within the EV Project limits. As for an electric charge, that awaits city inspection, SDG&E meter hookup, and of course a car.

I had mine done a week ago Monday by Interstates. Jason & Manny did a really good, fast, nice, clean job. There is no conduit showing on the inside of the garage (they went down the wall in the attic) and made the receptacle flush with the wall.

walterbays said:
My Blink installation was just done by Sunwest Electric, with second meter at my request. They were on schedule and on time, courteous and professional. They did a neat, quick, and careful job, with no surprises, and no charge. No money, that is; it came within the EV Project limits. As for an electric charge, that awaits city inspection, SDG&E meter hookup, and of course a car.

Make sure Sunwest is moving quickly on your inspection...sometimes, they need a friendly reminder :)

So far, very happy with Sunwest's work here. Very neat and tidy.. expert sealed holes through stucco, nice conduit bends, answered all questions, and accommodated my request to hug the ceiling. Completed on-time, no hassle.

Now I wait for inspection and meter.

sdbonez said:
Make sure Sunwest is moving quickly on your inspection...sometimes, they need a friendly reminder :)
I concur. My install went quickly and smoothly, once I got it scheduled, which took a "reminder" email to accomplish (two weeks after the car was delivered). Then a week went by with no inspection, so I sent another email to Shawn at Sunwest asking if this was normal. No reply, so after another week I sent a second email. Received an apology the next day with an explanation that my electrician had been "called away with a family emergency." The inspection was scheduled the next day, and Shawn emailed me the permit and load calcs to show the inspector, along with the install manual and specs for the Blink unit (no operation manual or demonstration was offered during the install, which is OK, since I have already downloaded the manual from the Blink site and figure I can get any help I need on operating it here).

Now I am waiting for the 2nd meter install from SDG&E, which is supposed to happen within 48 hrs. We'll see. We will probably have 1200 miles on the car before it gets its first 240V charge since leaving the dealer. :cry:

TT

Just had my Blink installed yesterday. When they scheduled the installation the person on the phone said I should expect to pay $500 out of pocket since my panel and garage are on opposite sides of the house. Upon arrival they decided the "best" (ie easiest for them) plan was to run exposed conduit around the outside of the house to the garage. They basically said they'd rather not have to crawl around in the attic or under the house and they might not be able to finish "on time" (which I assume would mean money out of my pocket) but they did leave the decison up to me. I was fine with the exterior conduit since you can't easily see the back/side of my house plus it was free to me.

Here is a look at the installed unit. As others have said, it looks bigger in person.

39207254001_medium.jpg

ttweed said:
Now I am waiting for the 2nd meter install from SDG&E, which is supposed to happen within 48 hrs. We'll see. We will probably have 1200 miles on the car before it gets its first 240V charge since leaving the dealer. :cry:
TT
FYI The notfication of SDG&E is done by the inspector's office. There was a small snafu in the first install in San Marcos because the inspector didn't realize this. They were very apologetic and have been on top of things since. My meter was installed 2 days after the inspection.

BTW I spent a half hour entering my TOU rates from the Blink touchscreen, then I found out I could have done it from the website. Website is much quicker.

Does anyone know anything about the EVSE / charger(s) at Qualcomm HQ in Sorrento Valley? Anyone charged there? Doing a lot of driving around tomorrow and will be about 1/2 mile away from there for a bit, wondering whether I can access it and charge. Any info much appreciated!

And, for what it's worth, we charged at the Lodge at Torrey Pines last weekend, and it was great! Went for lunch and added a couple of bars while we enjoyed the nice weather. :D

On the list April 2010
Ordered at first chance allowed Nov 2010
DB dates April, April 20 (stuck for weeks), then picked up May 18
Pollen car, no problems
Happily driving ever since!
CA Lic {hand} BBYGAS

The EVSE at Qualcomm HQ is new, and operational.
It's a ChargePoint.
qualcomm-ev.jpg

Note that one of the parking spaces is Handicap+EV Only. The one to the right is general use.

While the charger is open to the public, it seems to get a lot of local employee use and is busy more often than not. I wouldn't count on it being available during business hours.

lambert said:
Regarding the Chargepoint EVSE at Qualcomm... Is this in the west parking structure in the Morehouse campus?

It's the East structure, corner of Lusk & Morehouse.

And yes, Handicap+EV is indeed a 'trend' in that EV Project is mandating the first EV space is Disabled. Not cool.

GroundLoop said:
lambert said:
Regarding the Chargepoint EVSE at Qualcomm... Is this in the west parking structure in the Morehouse campus?

It's the East structure, corner of Lusk & Morehouse.

And yes, Handicap+EV is indeed a 'trend' in that EV Project is mandating the first EV space is Disabled. Not cool.

As a disabled LEAF owner, I really hope you'll take a little time to reflect on your comment and consider that you could be one tomorrow.

davewill said:
GroundLoop said:
...EV Project is mandating the first EV space is Disabled. Not cool.
Because the handicapped shouldhave to choose between charging their car and being able to get out of it. :roll:

When there is one charger in the parking lot, reachable by two parking spaces, how many would you make reserved for Handicap Only?
(Assuming there are already six Handicap spaces nearby.)
How would cooperative 'staging' work in this case?

Remember that not all of these are in ideal locations for Handicap spaces, either. They might be on the far end of the lot where the power transformer resides.

This is getting to be off-topic, and I really don't want to go all PC on you, but "handicap" is a golf term. It doesn't apply to people. Whatever your current condition is, remember that it's temporary, and try to avoid us vs. them distinctions.

Back