Anybody else's XM trial end today?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
shay said:
EricH said:
Mine died this afternoon; all of the presets vanished, and I only got the "XM Preview" stations.

I called the number on the screen (800-643-2112) and sat on hold for about 10 minutes. The rep asked me for my radio number (had to park and de-activate Bluetooth; the radio number displays on "Channel 0"), and set me up with a new account. They offered: a) 5 months for $24.99 ("A 60% discount!!"), or b) one year for $95.

I took the year, which comes out to $106.25 or so with "U.S. music fee and applicable taxes".

All my presets returned intact in a few minutes, as promised.

90 days back would be March 10, which was just after my VIN/Carwings, and about 2 weeks before I took delivery.

Does that include traffic?
No idea, but no way to find out, now that I've renewed. If real-time traffic came through XM, the $8/month is an even better deal.

Dec 10, 2010, eh ? Hmmm ... wasn't that the day

a. we misunderstood 12/10 to mean 12/10/10, when it was supposed to have been Dec-2010 ?
b. the day Gudy's car underwent final prep ... the day before the first US production delivery ?

hmm ...

UkrainianKozak said:
Yep, mine stopped too...
Was fine in the morning, stopped working in the afternoon

I drove to the dealer to have the TCU reset (no Car Wings) but the XM was working. Picked the car up 30 minutes later and the Carwings still doesn't work, and the XM stopped. Now I see it was a coincidence.

A call to XM got me another 6-mo. I did have to provide them with my name, address, phone#, email and radio ID.

Brad

brad said:
A call to XM got me another 6-mo. I did have to provide them with my name, address, phone#, email and radio ID.
+1. I called the 800-643-2112 number first, but they transferred me to the XM Customer Care number at 800-967-2346. They told me the account was never activated. I said it was working when we picked up the car, so didn't know it needed to be. They took my information and signed me up for a new 6-month trial starting today, no problem. You have to have the radio ID number, so push "Info" on the XM menu and write that down first.

TT

z0ner said:
I just fundamentally don't like the fact that it was sold with a six month subscription but started 4 1/2 months before I took delivery.
They're just being consistent with the EV Project which offered you free public charging through May 2011, one month before they installed the first public charging station. ;)

(To be fair, they do seem poised to begin delivering electricity as well as press releases, and so I'm poised to begin cheering for Ecotality again.)

So I called and they were willing to give me an extra 3 months trial and I said I would like my original trial. The rep said you have already had the service for a month and a half so this is all I can give you. I replied with that is nice, but I bought the car with a 6 month trial period and I would like my 6th my trial. We did the activated since December dance that you see above for a bit. The rep then offered my a 4 month period which almost gives me the benefit of my bargain- so I agreed.

Yep. Mine ended on the 10th after only 30 days of ownership. I immediately called XM (866-635-2349) and complained. After an 11 minute phone call I had an account set up and free XM for six months...

I called them at 800-967-2346 and they immediately gave me a new six month subscription good until December. It may have helped that I have a lifetime subscription to a portable XM radio and they simply added my trial for the Leaf to that account...

Leaf vin=592 and XM expired today -- called and after saying I expected a 6 month trial subscription, they set me up a new account w/ 6 month subscription including navweather and navtraffic.

Note: It seemed I had to log into my account and "manually" send the activation signal while the radio was turned on and set to channel 1. Perhaps it would have happened automatically if I had waited a few more minutes with the radio turned on...

I had to do the same. You can send an aurthorization code to the radio automatically at 866-635-8634 using either your telephone number, account number, or radio ID. It can take up to 15 minutes to authorize...

By the way, I am unfamiliar with navweather as it relates to the Leaf... I didn't think our stupendous Clarion Nav System supported that...

MikeD said:
Leaf vin=592 and XM expired today -- called and after saying I expected a 6 month trial subscription, they set me up a new account w/ 6 month subscription including navweather and navtraffic.
Note: It seemed I had to log into my account and "manually" send the activation signal while the radio was turned on and set to channel 1. Perhaps it would have happened automatically if I had waited a few more minutes with the radio turned on...

GroundLoop said:
I must be saying the wrong things (again).

XM told me to pound sand, and invited me to pay for a subscription.
How was your angst level for the call Groundloop? :lol: Have a couple of Red Bulls and try again with another operator? You might get lucky. Or maybe ask to have your issue escalated to a supervisor?

This reminds me of the "bad old days" calling Nissan CS about when our cars were going to get here. ;)

TT

My XM also went bye-bye on June 10. I bet all Leafs did.

FWIW, I once vowed never to deal with XM/Sirius again. I'm sorry the option wasn't an option I could delete. I have never had worse customer service in my life- they even turned me over to a collection agency after I canceled my subscription, on line, and on the phone.

Add me to the list. Mine went out between 8 am and noon today, June 11.

I called XM Customer Service and at first they tried to tell me that they had no record of an account for me and that they'd have to set me up with a regular subscription. I assumed that this meant that they were going to try to get me to start paying for the XM service, so I got pissy since my 90 days is not yet up since I got my car. After some confusing conversation, the young man asked for my details and set me up with a 6 month free trial.

I had an interesting conversation with one of their Tier 3 techs... It seems that XM does not know from Adam about any of the free trials or radio IDs in new vehicle audio systems. It works like some OEM software licensing arrangements. Nissan (or whomever) gets a volume authorization and applies that to all their radios of a particular model. The date that the trial is to expire is hard coded in to the authorization and has no bearing on when it was actually authorized in the radio. He said that normally, a vehicle manufacturer gets a new block every month or so with a new date code in it so it isn't a big deal... Apparently Nissan's Leaf codes were somewhat "stale" and led to this problem. When the radio reaches the date code (the date is sent as part of the radio data stream), it simply deauthorizes. Thus, that is why when you call in, XM has no idea who you are and knows nothing about your specific radio: your radio ID has never hit the system since it all happens without any direct contact with them... For future reference, what they CAN do is, when you pick up your car give them a call right away and they can then create an account with your radio ID and create a 6 month trial for you from that point forward. If you wait a while it is apparently much harder for them to do this for reasons that could not be explained to me (probably marketing or fraud prevention).

mogur said:
... Apparently Nissan's Leaf codes were somewhat "stale" and led to this problem.
Good explanation, mogur--thanks! So this says to me that somebody at Nissan USA didn't anticipated the diversion of 4,000 Leafs to the Japanese market at the beginning of 2011 and activated the whole block of codes on Dec. 10, 2010 when they started delivering cars here, thinking the deliveries were just going to ramp up in Jan. and Feb. and that by March they would need another block. It sure didn't happen that way, though....then came the tsunami.... :cry:

TT

Back