Forged Rays Volk Wheels installed - stock wheels are HEAVY!

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
hill said:
greenleaf - you are partly correct ... but reduction in wheel weight is actually even better than linear. The formula relating to this (on some tire/wheel web sites) is described as an exponential factor.
Linear kinetic energy from wheel's center of mass traveling horizontally: 1/2 * mass * velocity^2
Rotational kinetic energy from wheel spinning: 1/2 * inertia moment * angular velocity^2

Inertia moment is a function of wheel mass and geometry (linked from wikipedia since there's no point in redrawing it)

aecd2b471c5633f50ef87e7182c3358a.png

To translate for non-mathematical types: Reducing mass at a distance 2R from the axis will decrease inertia 4 times more than removing the same amount of mass at distance R. Simply put: Get the mass off the edge of the wheels!

This is an excellent argument for getting low profile tires and decreasing wheel radius as a whole, although that may impact your top speed and throw your speedometer off more than it already might be.

Of course, it's only worth it if you're changing speeds a lot. Under constant speed conditions reducing wheel mass will have the same effect as reducing the mass anywhere else. Not worth as much for highway commuters as it is for city commuters.
=Smidge=

I may have missed it when quickly reading this thread again. Were you able to transfer the Tire pressure monitoring sensors? I'm about to make a wheel change and I'd like to know what I'll need to be able to transfer them over if it is possible.

aqn said:
VorlonZ said:
I was able to transfer the TPMS sensors over to my Enkei RPF1s without any issues.
Would you mind sharing the specs of your wheels? Did you go with the 16x7 size, not 16x8? Which offset did you go with, 35 or 43? Thanks!

If you read the offset thread he went with a 16x7 with a 25mm offset. The larger offsets will not clear the brake calipers.

palmermd said:
Do they just strap onto the inside of the wheel or are their mounting points?
Michael - Nissan's TPMS is mounted on the inboard side of the valve stem. Any tire/wheel shop will be able to tell you whether the wheels that you are considering are "TPMS compliant".

I have found a few wheels that I like on the internet but I do not get any confirmed emails back that the wheels will fit the Leaf..Does this mean a 25 to 40 offset will fit the Leaf ?

mark13 said:
I have found a few wheels that I like on the internet but I do not get any confirmed emails back that the wheels will fit the Leaf..Does this mean a 25 to 40 offset will fit the Leaf ?

Like I have stated numerous times before (even in this thread) it depends on the wheel and it's spoke design. Most aftermarket wheels will need to be in the 25mm offset range but you will have to test fit one to make sure. The clearance issue is the front brake calipers.

Nice, but there is a thread for aftermarket wheels. This thread emphasizes lightweight aftermarket wheels, not just any wheels.

Skywagon said:
Nice, but there is a thread for aftermarket wheels. This thread emphasizes lightweight aftermarket wheels, not just any wheels.

Just correcting the assertion in this thread that there is a problem with a 40mm offset.
But no problem, pics removed.
BTW at 18lbs the Konigs are lighter than stock.

MrFish said:
Skywagon said:

Just correcting the assertion in this thread that there is a problem with a 40mm offset.
But no problem, pics removed.
BTW at 18lbs the Konigs are lighter than stock.

If they are lighter, post them up... most will not save much weight but those that do we might want to record. My point being is this was a weight of wheels discussion. There was another one on what offsets fit.

myleaf said:
Volk Racing has the CE28 Eco Drive Wheels for Hybrid cars. They have wheels specifically for the Prius and Civic Hybrid. I wonder if they will release one for the LEAF. These wheels seems to be around 11lbs depending on diameter.

Won't this fit the LEAF?

16 x 7.0 $580.00

Offset +33,42,48 (stock is 40mm)

(5 bolt times 4.5 inch or 114.3mm) 11.24 pounds

TonyWilliams said:
Won't this fit the LEAF?
16 x 7.0
Offset +33,42,48 (stock is 40mm)
(5 bolt times 4.5 inch or 114.3mm) 11.24 pounds

They fit perfect. (VR TE37 16x7.0 JJ PCD 114.3 Offset +33 5H BR) @ about 10.5 lbs each. (as good as it gets with my bathroom scale)

20110614-062438.jpg

and the tire pressure sensors bolt right on to the valve stems.

20110614-062422.jpg

$580 time 4 tires plus installation?.. I guess you could sell your stock rims for a fair penny.

Has anyone actually noticed an improvement on range?, I doubt you will see much unless you are a really aggressive driver, and not on the hwy (BEVs are substantially different than ICE/Transmission cars).. it should improve the comfort of the suspension.. please forgive me if this is a bling thing.

Would you pay $400 per electromagnetic shock?.. one that recovers energy when it dampens.

Skywagon said:
Also, when I dropped off the wheels and tires to be swapped over I put a set of 18" Rays Forged wheels on the LEAF that I have for my Mazda (just for storage in my shop/hangar, did not drive on them)... it looked so strange/funny that I took a photo (ignore the camera phone quality):

5577284682_f8acbb381f_z.jpg

Just thought some might want to see those as well as they are still 5 lbs less than the stock wheels, but the increased size and tire width would hurt the efficiency/range over the stock wheels.

I think those wheels look good. Was there some reason you did not want to drive on them? Clearance issue? I'm looking for a wheel option for my leaf. I really want 17x7 but I'm not having luck finding wheels. I think 18 is a bit much for an EV.

For those of you who upgraded your wheels:

Did you use the tires off your old set of wheels?

And, did you manage sell off your old wheels?

I wonder which other vehicles will the Leaf's wheels fit? Just trying to figure out if the old wheels are easy to sell off...

Yes, I transferred the stock tires to the new wheels. And no, I have not sold my stock wheels. I never sell stock parts from a car in case I want to put it back that way; if it were to get wrecked/totaled and or sold I am not letting a set of rare/expensive Volk wheels go with it.

And the reason I did not drive on the 18's was just a case of them being ridiculous; those wheels on that car at stock ride height look stupid. Not to mention that those wheels have some 225 width super sticky compound tires on them for my other car (Dunlop Direzza Z-1 Star Specs) and the range would suffer.

Back