Leaf thinks its still plugged in but is not

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

liljohn650

need help with a issue, I have a 2012 Nissan Leaf with the leaf thinks its plugged in. Took it to the dealer and the dealer said it was the onboard charger, I changed it out but still have the problem.

Does the car charge when the EVSE is plugged in?

And the car fails to start because the charging plug light on the dashboard is flashing?

What is the history of the car, e.g. any accidents, repairs done, etc? where someone may have messed with wiring harnesses.

What is the age, condition and voltage of the 12V starter battery--a old, weak or worn out aux battery can cause numerous and sometimes false faults.

What DTCs where stored when the dealer determined the OBC was at fault before it was replaced? what diagnostic and troubleshooting steps were completed? what DTCs are now shown with the new OBC?

i would want to check the wiring harness from the front charging panel back to the OBC to ensure continuity and no damaged wires with two leads shorted together or to ground. Also inspect the connectors for debris, oxidation, damage, etc.

Yes so its a 2012 Nissan Leaf I just finished swapping out the wiring harness... I dropped the battery pack and took the old wiring harness that connects the Onboard chargers to the front. same results.... The car still thinks its plugged in and won't go into Drive.... I consulted with a tech at the dealership and said it should be the inverter that when bad so I ordered one on Ebay and now waiting for the part to install.

So you probably already know that there are interlock signals on some of the Pack and OBC connectors which will inhibit operations if they are open circuit.

Re: Leaf thinks its still plugged in but is not
Quote nlspace
by nlspace » Wed Jun 02, 2021 8:53 pm

So you probably already know that there are interlock signals on some of the Pack and OBC connectors which will inhibit operations if they are open circuit.

I did not know that ....... So how can I fix it ? I changed out the oled 12 v battery to eliminate that problem. The car has a clean title no accidents... The Nissan dealer diagnose the problem with the onboard charger was bad so I replaced it. same problem.... the same tech told me it could be the main wire that runs from the charging port to the onboard charger so I replaced it. same problem..... Now thinks its the inverter..... I ordered one and it should be coming in Monday and will try that..... If all else fails then.... will be parting it out.... I am at a loss..... the car has 68,000 miles no damage any where good interior...

Well that is a truly sad story. A Nissan dealer's service dept has the Nissan Consult tool available for diagnostics and troubleshooting, but it appears there is nobody smart enough to know how to operate it or use the Factory Service Manual to determine what is the issue. They are just guessing and changing out parts hoping that something will work.

There will be a listing of DTCs that are stored when there is a fault; if you can get a copy or listing of those then we might be able to help. There is a phone app that you could download and use an OBDII dongle to read the current or new codes, but the dealer should have listed them on the service tickets.

The FSM has all the DTCs and the steps to troubleshoot them.

Where are you located--maybe someone knows a better dealer in your area. These guys are idiots.

i did not understand your description of changing the wiring harness, so i thought you were doing this on your own and making a modification to the car's wiring and the OBC. If all connectors are in the stock OEM position and configuration, then no need to worry about the interlocks as they are contained in the connectors.

Back