LEAF gen 1 CHAdeMO protocol conformance

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TheSmith

Hi folks,

I was told by a good source working at a charger manufacturer that the Nissan LEAF gen 1 has CHAdeMO communication problems that are well documented. He did not want to elaborate more on that to protect their partnership for testing with car manufacturers, however.

So I'd like to know more. Does anyone know anything about that or know where I can find more information?

Regards,

Smith

This forum is a good start. The most common problem is a vehicle fault that requires the Leaf to be seen by a dealership to reset the DTC code. Or for the rest of us, use LeafSpy to fix it. The QC at Nissan HQ still causes these vehicle faults on their modern chargers on the Gen 1 Leaf occasionally, I've had to use LeafSpy fix them for many random people I meet there. :lol:

I’ve only used the CHAdeMO port in my 2012 SL a very few times at the local Nissan dealer. It worked flawlessly each time…no issue whatever.

I seem to recall there were some chademo stations that wouldn't work with Leaf at some point; with finger-pointing over which party was or wasn't responsible, but I don't recall what the root cause was.

The Gen1 ZE0 2011-2012 LEAF is only Chademo v0.9 compatible. This means that it doesn't send out the SOC% value to the station, so the station needs to calculate the SOC% based on the kWh full and kWh current values.

The Gen2 AZE0 2013-2017 is Chademo v1.0 compatible and sends SOC% on the QC-bus

Maybe this was what the protocol conformance issue was?

The 2011 and 2012 Leafs have an incorrect calculation for remaining time to full, which is displayed by some chargers. I believe it always counts down from 254 minutes. That particular problem is mostly harmless, however.

Thanks for the information. I've got many charging problems over the last two years with my 2015 LEAF. I cannot tell myself where the bugs are, but your input is interesting nonetheless.

Smith

A 2015 Leaf will follow the CHAdeMO spec pretty much to a T. Compatibility between a given station and vehicle is not usually an issue these days, and CHAdeMO itself is pretty simple compared to the monstrosity that is CCS.

I suspect the issue is either with your vehicle itself (not leafs in general), a particular troubled charging station, or the connector on said charging station. Can you say where you've had trouble? Brand, location, and charger manufacturer would be helpful.

Back