Grizzl E Charger ?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Being Canadian, I obviously like the fact that they are designed and built in Canada :)

That aside, I like that they have GFI protection and they seem like a quality product, at a competitive price. They are also UL and cUL certified.

Definitely worthy of consideration.

Also a + for Canadian built, at least we'll know it won't come with some crapy hard vinyl cord that will get stiff as a board in any temps below 40F :D
I personally would also order the upgraded and longer cord and it's nice it sounds like you can d-rate the charging current, albeit it sounds like you have to open it up and flip some dip switches if you personally want to change it from how you ordered it. 40a is also nice, for future-proofing. The price also isn't too bad, not as cheap as most of the Chinese-built ones but less than other quality EVSEs.

Cords that get stiff in the cold are a PITA, and from what I have seen, the thicker the cord, the more unwieldy (and more likely to to get damaged) it is in the cold.
This EVSE may be different -- I don't know

SageBrush said:
Cords that get stiff in the cold are a PITA, and from what I have seen, the thicker the cord, the more unwieldy (and more likely to to get damaged) it is in the cold.
This EVSE may be different -- I don't know
The thickness does make it heavier and a bit harder to bend but it's mainly the cord construction that can make it get stiff in cold temps. I used to really like the soft black rubber cords and while they generally stay flexible all the way to below zero they tend to really pick up dirt and dust as well as not the most protection for punctures. I've found the best cord to be a quality rubber cord but one that has a protective coating making it get far less dirty and easier to clean and also give it a bit more protection from abrasion. Again rubber is better than plastic/vinyl but coated rubber is the best. The orange cords while easy to clean and somewhat abrasion resistant get awful when cold, even in the 40s and many blue cords remain flexible in cold but are like the uncoated black rubber cords, coated blue or quality black seem to be the best for cold weather flexibility and abrasion/puncture resistance.
I'm really happy with my custom Chinese-built EVSE cord. It was the upgraded cord for both material and length, a bit better than 10 gauge(metric sizing) to easily handle 30a and performs well even in sub-zero temps. Of course, being long(26') and over 10 gauge(but it does have finer gauge strands to help with bending) it's still not what I'd call light and easy to handle but it's the best it could be. Unlike my off-the-shelf cheap Chinese EVSE that gets stiff as a board in the cold(sub-zero) and impossible to coil up in those cases, fine in the summer though.

I just looked at their website -- they offer 'premium' cords that stay pliable down to 15F
That's the ticket.

I like their products. I'm going to wait to see what 'smarts' are added in the near future and then decide whether to upgrade my reliable 32 Amp Clipper Creek. I want an EVSE that will play nice with a smart panel so that my (soon to be) PV is consumed at home as much as possible. That is asking a lot without a common standard, so I may have to wait. Or perhaps it will be enough to have Wi-Fi and and an open but secure API

Grizzl-E was my first and only choice for a charging station:

1. I don't own a smartphone, so a smartphone interface would just be a vulnerability for hackers, and a mandatory smartphone interface would render the unit unusable.

2. We haven't had space for a vehicle in our garage in about two decades, so the ideal situation would be to have the unit indoors (where indicator lights would be easy to check), and the cable run outdoors through a hole in the wall, with a separate cable hanger and plug hook, hidden behind a bush when not in use.

3. Because of cabinets and workbenches that would be nearly impossible to move out of the way, the unit would probably have to be mounted someplace where you'd need a ladder for access.

4. Without having new wires pulled all the way back to the main panel, I only have a 30A 240V power socket (and even that would have to be extended some 20 feet).

The Grizzl-E met all my needs: the only controls are an internal DIP switch, impossible to hack and impossible to accidentally disturb. The line cord and charging cable can both be detached (by unclamping the strain reliefs and taking out the screws attaching the wires to the terminal strips), and so I was able to (1) replace the 14-50 line cord with a 14-30, and (2) remove the charging cable, run it through a hole in the wall, and reattach it. And the plug hook is a separate piece, allowing me to fabricate a cable hanger, with a bracket to mount the plug hook sideways, and bolt it to the garage wall behind the bush. And on top of that, because of the designer's conscious decision to omit bells and whistles, it's one of the most affordable units on the market.

And the unit is made to survive full outdoor use, under Canadian conditions, so my own installation, under Southern California conditions, is likely to last forever.

So far, it has (like my 2018 Leaf) exceeded all expectations. So much so that if you go to the Testimonials section of the Grizzl-E site, you'll find a detailed description of my installation, with pictures.

hbquikcomjamesl said:
Grizzl-E was my first and only choice for a charging station:

1. I don't own a smartphone, so a smartphone interface would just be a vulnerability for hackers, and a mandatory smartphone interface would render the unit unusable.

2. We haven't had space for a vehicle in our garage in about two decades, so the ideal situation would be to have the unit indoors (where indicator lights would be easy to check), and the cable run outdoors through a hole in the wall, with a separate cable hanger and plug hook, hidden behind a bush when not in use.

3. Because of cabinets and workbenches that would be nearly impossible to move out of the way, the unit would probably have to be mounted someplace where you'd need a ladder for access.

4. Without having new wires pulled all the way back to the main panel, I only have a 30A 240V power socket (and even that would have to be extended some 20 feet).

The Grizzl-E met all my needs: the only controls are an internal DIP switch, impossible to hack and impossible to accidentally disturb. The line cord and charging cable can both be detached (by unclamping the strain reliefs and taking out the screws attaching the wires to the terminal strips), and so I was able to (1) replace the 14-50 line cord with a 14-30, and (2) remove the charging cable, run it through a hole in the wall, and reattach it. And the plug hook is a separate piece, allowing me to fabricate a cable hanger, with a bracket to mount the plug hook sideways, and bolt it to the garage wall behind the bush. And on top of that, because of the designer's conscious decision to omit bells and whistles, it's one of the most affordable units on the market.

And the unit is made to survive full outdoor use, under Canadian conditions, so my own installation, under Southern California conditions, is likely to last forever.

So far, it has (like my 2018 Leaf) exceeded all expectations. So much so that if you go to the Testimonials section of the Grizzl-E site, you'll find a detailed description of my installation, with pictures.

NICE !

Now my only question is whether I want the White version or the Black version.

alozzy said:
the unit itself is black only.
Unless you get extreme (below). There is a "special edition" ("avalanche"?) that it white. Sorry about the size of the second image; it's a direct link to the grizzle site, and this forum doesn't allow sizing of external images ( edit: as far as I know).

Mask-Group-1-2__.png

a-edition-003.png

I have been looking to get an EVSE this year and narrowed it down to the Grizzl-E. It's made by my Canadian neighbors, UL certified, reasonably priced, and seems durable. I have seen various test and review videos on it and I'm impressed by its performance. I don't need any smart features, so its basic form works for me.

Just got mine.

I would have gone with the white one but it currently only has a white cable and I could picture it getting dirty, so went with the standard black, 24', premium.

Ordered direct from Canada on the weekend and it arrived today to NY, so that's quick. I paid in USD, but they process it as a foreign transaction so I got hit for about $15 from my credit card (it does charge foreign fees). No shipping cost, and they do not charge tax.

It feels super solid and is charging up the Leaf now. Will mount it later today. Went with the 14-50.

I didn't bother with a smart phone evse because I figure it's something I'd use for about three days and never bother with again. I do not have time variable electricity, and as for a reminder--which I would have possibly used--both of my cars offer one if parked at home and not charged within a certain period of time.

After reading some iffy reviews on Amazon of many chargers I knew that I would only be buying one from North America, because if it says it's UL listed I believe them and not that they just printed some stickers off. So basically this charger was ~$200 cheaper than other north american 40 amp based units (yes, the leaf only charges under 30A at this time, though).

EatsShootsandLeafs said:
Just got mine.

I would have gone with the white one but it currently only has a white cable and I could picture it getting dirty, so went with the standard black, 24', premium.

Ordered direct from Canada on the weekend and it arrived today to NY, so that's quick. I paid in USD, but they process it as a foreign transaction so I got hit for about $15 from my credit card (it does charge foreign fees). No shipping cost, and they do not charge tax.

It feels super solid and is charging up the Leaf now. Will mount it later today. Went with the 14-50.

I didn't bother with a smart phone evse because I figure it's something I'd use for about three days and never bother with again. I do not have time variable electricity, and as for a reminder--which I would have possibly used--both of my cars offer one if parked at home and not charged within a certain period of time.

After reading some iffy reviews on Amazon of many chargers I knew that I would only be buying one from North America, because if it says it's UL listed I believe them and not that they just printed some stickers off. So basically this charger was ~$200 cheaper than other north american 40 amp based units (yes, the leaf only charges under 30A at this time, though).

Perhaps they can offer a White Box w Black Cable ?

I'm taking delivery of a 2019 SL Plus in a few days and I'm planning on buying a Grizzl-E Classic EVSE with the 6-50 plug from Amazon. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07XSNL95...&colid=QS6ZIRQY417H&ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it&th=1

I already have a 6-50 welder outlet in my garage and I can buy a welder extension cord on Amazon to reach out to my parking area in my driveway. (who has room in the garage for and actual car? lol)
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B085HLGB4...colid=QS6ZIRQY417H&psc=1&ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it

The factory EVSE has a 14-50 plug so until I buy the Grizz I can deploy this plug adapter to the existing outlet to charge my battery.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B082X6GS93/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_image_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Rather than extend the power cord and "install" the unit outdoors, you can also get a J-1772 extension cord to let you have a 35'+ cable for the plug, with the unit snug in the garage.

LeftieBiker said:
Rather than extend the power cord and "install" the unit outdoors, you can also get a J-1772 extension cord to let you have a 35'+ cable for the plug, with the unit snug in the garage.

Seems to be unavailable at the moment. Also costly! I plan on leaving the Grizz unit unmounted. The cost of the extension cord is about 1/4th of the cost of running wiring and installing an outdoor outlet. We're planning on selling this house and moving this year as well.

EVDean said:
I'm taking delivery of a 2019 SL Plus in a few days and I'm planning on buying a Grizzl-E Classic EVSE with the 6-50 plug from Amazon. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07XSNL95...&colid=QS6ZIRQY417H&ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it&th=1

I already have a 6-50 welder outlet in my garage and I can buy a welder extension cord on Amazon to reach out to my parking area in my driveway. (who has room in the garage for and actual car? lol)
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B085HLGB4...colid=QS6ZIRQY417H&psc=1&ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it

The factory EVSE has a 14-50 plug so until I buy the Grizz I can deploy this plug adapter to the existing outlet to charge my battery.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B082X6GS93/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_image_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Sounds like a nice idea. Note I believe?? you might be able to avoid the adapter plug by simply removing the neutral prong on your Nissan EVSE(hacksawing if off possibly). I believe without the neutral prong(which isn't need for the EVSE anyway) the 14-50 plug would plug into your 6-50 outlet. Verify this first but I believe it's true. I took the neutral prong off my 14-50 plug EVSE(not a OEM Nissan but rather my old Juicebox EVSE) and even though I've never ran into a 6-50 plug I believe I could plug into it. Of course your adapter plug would work too.
Actually looking at the NEMA connector photo it looks like one of the hot prongs may be narrower than the other, so maybe that wouldn't work....
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NEMA_connector

Back