SalemCat
Delivery Date: 29 Jan 2021
Leaf Number: 311743

Grizzl E Charger ?

Thu Feb 18, 2021 6:08 pm

Thinking of buying a GRIZZL E charger.

Specifically a 14-50 with extra-long, extra thick premium Cable.

Thoughts ?

https://grizzl-e.com/

alozzy
Delivery Date: 18 Jan 2017

Re: Grizzl E Charger ?

Thu Feb 18, 2021 10:01 pm

Being Canadian, I obviously like the fact that they are designed and built in Canada :-)

That aside, I like that they have GFI protection and they seem like a quality product, at a competitive price. They are also UL and cUL certified.

Definitely worthy of consideration.
Vancouver, CA owner of a 2013 Ocean Blue SV + QC, purchased 01/2017 in WA
Zencar 12/20/24/30A L1/L2 portable EVSE
1-1/4" Curt #11396 hitch
After market, DIY LED DRLs
LeafSpy Pro + Konnwei KW902 ELM327 BT OBDII dongle
Loving my first BEV :D

jjeff
Delivery Date: 13 Jul 2014
Leaf Number: 422121

Fri Feb 19, 2021 7:40 am

Also a + for Canadian built, at least we'll know it won't come with some crapy hard vinyl cord that will get stiff as a board in any temps below 40F :D
I personally would also order the upgraded and longer cord and it's nice it sounds like you can d-rate the charging current, albeit it sounds like you have to open it up and flip some dip switches if you personally want to change it from how you ordered it. 40a is also nice, for future-proofing. The price also isn't too bad, not as cheap as most of the Chinese-built ones but less than other quality EVSEs.
2012 SL purchased used 2/'16
2013 S w/QC purchased new
Juicebox Premium 60a L1/L2 EVSE, Ebusbar 16a L1/L2 EVSE
'12 EVSEupgrade'd 20a L1/L2 EVSE, '13 EVSEupgrade'd adjustable 6-20a L2, 6-13a L1 EVSE
Zencar 13, 20, 30a L1/L2 portable EVSE
GE Durastation 30a

SageBrush
Forum Supporter
Delivery Date: 13 Feb 2017

Fri Feb 19, 2021 8:46 am

Cords that get stiff in the cold are a PITA, and from what I have seen, the thicker the cord, the more unwieldy (and more likely to to get damaged) it is in the cold.
This EVSE may be different -- I don't know
2013 LEAF 'S' Model with QC & rear-view camera
Bought Jan 2017 from N. California
Two years in Colorado, now in NM
03/18: 58 Ahr, 28k miles
11/18: 56.16 Ahr, 30k miles
09/20: 54.3 Ahr; 38k miles
-----
2018 Tesla Model 3 LR, Delivered 6/2018

jjeff
Delivery Date: 13 Jul 2014
Leaf Number: 422121

Fri Feb 19, 2021 9:14 am

SageBrush wrote:
Fri Feb 19, 2021 8:46 am
Cords that get stiff in the cold are a PITA, and from what I have seen, the thicker the cord, the more unwieldy (and more likely to to get damaged) it is in the cold.
This EVSE may be different -- I don't know
The thickness does make it heavier and a bit harder to bend but it's mainly the cord construction that can make it get stiff in cold temps. I used to really like the soft black rubber cords and while they generally stay flexible all the way to below zero they tend to really pick up dirt and dust as well as not the most protection for punctures. I've found the best cord to be a quality rubber cord but one that has a protective coating making it get far less dirty and easier to clean and also give it a bit more protection from abrasion. Again rubber is better than plastic/vinyl but coated rubber is the best. The orange cords while easy to clean and somewhat abrasion resistant get awful when cold, even in the 40s and many blue cords remain flexible in cold but are like the uncoated black rubber cords, coated blue or quality black seem to be the best for cold weather flexibility and abrasion/puncture resistance.
I'm really happy with my custom Chinese-built EVSE cord. It was the upgraded cord for both material and length, a bit better than 10 gauge(metric sizing) to easily handle 30a and performs well even in sub-zero temps. Of course, being long(26') and over 10 gauge(but it does have finer gauge strands to help with bending) it's still not what I'd call light and easy to handle but it's the best it could be. Unlike my off-the-shelf cheap Chinese EVSE that gets stiff as a board in the cold(sub-zero) and impossible to coil up in those cases, fine in the summer though.
2012 SL purchased used 2/'16
2013 S w/QC purchased new
Juicebox Premium 60a L1/L2 EVSE, Ebusbar 16a L1/L2 EVSE
'12 EVSEupgrade'd 20a L1/L2 EVSE, '13 EVSEupgrade'd adjustable 6-20a L2, 6-13a L1 EVSE
Zencar 13, 20, 30a L1/L2 portable EVSE
GE Durastation 30a

SageBrush
Forum Supporter
Delivery Date: 13 Feb 2017

Fri Feb 19, 2021 9:45 am

I just looked at their website -- they offer 'premium' cords that stay pliable down to 15F
That's the ticket.

I like their products. I'm going to wait to see what 'smarts' are added in the near future and then decide whether to upgrade my reliable 32 Amp Clipper Creek. I want an EVSE that will play nice with a smart panel so that my (soon to be) PV is consumed at home as much as possible. That is asking a lot without a common standard, so I may have to wait. Or perhaps it will be enough to have Wi-Fi and and an open but secure API
2013 LEAF 'S' Model with QC & rear-view camera
Bought Jan 2017 from N. California
Two years in Colorado, now in NM
03/18: 58 Ahr, 28k miles
11/18: 56.16 Ahr, 30k miles
09/20: 54.3 Ahr; 38k miles
-----
2018 Tesla Model 3 LR, Delivered 6/2018

hbquikcomjamesl
Delivery Date: 30 Dec 2020

Tue Mar 02, 2021 10:44 am

Grizzl-E was my first and only choice for a charging station:

1. I don't own a smartphone, so a smartphone interface would just be a vulnerability for hackers, and a mandatory smartphone interface would render the unit unusable.

2. We haven't had space for a vehicle in our garage in about two decades, so the ideal situation would be to have the unit indoors (where indicator lights would be easy to check), and the cable run outdoors through a hole in the wall, with a separate cable hanger and plug hook, hidden behind a bush when not in use.

3. Because of cabinets and workbenches that would be nearly impossible to move out of the way, the unit would probably have to be mounted someplace where you'd need a ladder for access.

4. Without having new wires pulled all the way back to the main panel, I only have a 30A 240V power socket (and even that would have to be extended some 20 feet).

The Grizzl-E met all my needs: the only controls are an internal DIP switch, impossible to hack and impossible to accidentally disturb. The line cord and charging cable can both be detached (by unclamping the strain reliefs and taking out the screws attaching the wires to the terminal strips), and so I was able to (1) replace the 14-50 line cord with a 14-30, and (2) remove the charging cable, run it through a hole in the wall, and reattach it. And the plug hook is a separate piece, allowing me to fabricate a cable hanger, with a bracket to mount the plug hook sideways, and bolt it to the garage wall behind the bush. And on top of that, because of the designer's conscious decision to omit bells and whistles, it's one of the most affordable units on the market.

And the unit is made to survive full outdoor use, under Canadian conditions, so my own installation, under Southern California conditions, is likely to last forever.

So far, it has (like my 2018 Leaf) exceeded all expectations. So much so that if you go to the Testimonials section of the Grizzl-E site, you'll find a detailed description of my installation, with pictures.
--
James H. H. Lampert

SalemCat
Delivery Date: 29 Jan 2021
Leaf Number: 311743

Tue Mar 02, 2021 1:31 pm

hbquikcomjamesl wrote:
Tue Mar 02, 2021 10:44 am
Grizzl-E was my first and only choice for a charging station:

1. I don't own a smartphone, so a smartphone interface would just be a vulnerability for hackers, and a mandatory smartphone interface would render the unit unusable.

2. We haven't had space for a vehicle in our garage in about two decades, so the ideal situation would be to have the unit indoors (where indicator lights would be easy to check), and the cable run outdoors through a hole in the wall, with a separate cable hanger and plug hook, hidden behind a bush when not in use.

3. Because of cabinets and workbenches that would be nearly impossible to move out of the way, the unit would probably have to be mounted someplace where you'd need a ladder for access.

4. Without having new wires pulled all the way back to the main panel, I only have a 30A 240V power socket (and even that would have to be extended some 20 feet).

The Grizzl-E met all my needs: the only controls are an internal DIP switch, impossible to hack and impossible to accidentally disturb. The line cord and charging cable can both be detached (by unclamping the strain reliefs and taking out the screws attaching the wires to the terminal strips), and so I was able to (1) replace the 14-50 line cord with a 14-30, and (2) remove the charging cable, run it through a hole in the wall, and reattach it. And the plug hook is a separate piece, allowing me to fabricate a cable hanger, with a bracket to mount the plug hook sideways, and bolt it to the garage wall behind the bush. And on top of that, because of the designer's conscious decision to omit bells and whistles, it's one of the most affordable units on the market.

And the unit is made to survive full outdoor use, under Canadian conditions, so my own installation, under Southern California conditions, is likely to last forever.

So far, it has (like my 2018 Leaf) exceeded all expectations. So much so that if you go to the Testimonials section of the Grizzl-E site, you'll find a detailed description of my installation, with pictures.
NICE !

Now my only question is whether I want the White version or the Black version.

alozzy
Delivery Date: 18 Jan 2017

Tue Mar 02, 2021 5:22 pm

Pretty sure the color choice is limited to the J1772 handle, the unit itself is black only.
Vancouver, CA owner of a 2013 Ocean Blue SV + QC, purchased 01/2017 in WA
Zencar 12/20/24/30A L1/L2 portable EVSE
1-1/4" Curt #11396 hitch
After market, DIY LED DRLs
LeafSpy Pro + Konnwei KW902 ELM327 BT OBDII dongle
Loving my first BEV :D

coulomb
Delivery Date: 07 Mar 2015
Leaf Number: 200445

Tue Mar 02, 2021 6:01 pm

alozzy wrote:
Tue Mar 02, 2021 5:22 pm
the unit itself is black only.
Unless you get extreme (below). There is a "special edition" ("avalanche"?) that it white. Sorry about the size of the second image; it's a direct link to the grizzle site, and this forum doesn't allow sizing of external images ( edit: as far as I know).

Last edited by coulomb on Wed Mar 03, 2021 1:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
2012 Leaf with new battery May 2019. New to me June 2019.

Return to “Batteries & Charging”