Warmed up LFP batteries superior to NMC?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

alozzy

So, this is interesting...

... charging warmed-up LFP batteries regularly and frequently would allow them to last longer, and would be safer than charging nickel-based batteries infrequently and for long periods as this creates high temperatures that can lead to thermal events...

Full article:

https://thedriven.io/2021/01/19/warmed-up-electric-car-batteries-could-be-cheaper-safer-and-last-two-million-miles/amp/

A counter intuitive result, but it sounds promising.

Wasting energy to keep batteries warm and charging frequently for short times means you take a large battery pack and have very short useable driving range because you are using energy to keep it hot, not discharging it fully, and not charging it fully--NO THANKS. Tesla's approach to heating the battery (if needed) before fast charging makes sense, but not what is described in that article. I too am not impressed with "thedriven" articles.

I can only see this being good in hot climates and for users who consistently quick charge multiple times a day like for ridesharing or delivery type things

Back