Ariya to Leaf Battery Upgrades?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Veganleaf

Anyone think ariya battery could be compatible with the leaf or if a 3rd party dealer will make new leaf batteries to keep old leafs on the road? Or Nissan will start selling new leaf batteries at a fair price?

I approved this topic, but I edited the title to make it less generic and more specific.

Anything is possible, but I think that having the 40kwh and 62kwh packs (with a bit more work) available to swap into older Leafs is all that's needed.

Ya I agree 62 is more than enough. I just looked up the only place near me that upgrades leafs and the waiting list to get a 62 is 30 cars long. I have a 2018 40kwh with minimal degradation but i plan on doing a 2000km drive frequently and dont want to change cars so a newer battery chemistry might me helpful in the future. I'm thinking like 5 years from now when i start getting degradation. I would rather take my 40kwh pack out and use it off grid energy application and get something less prone to degradation without changing vehicles ideally. We will see how it goes. Maybe i can encourage someone to make a battery building company that is compatible with leafs lol

Veganleaf said:
Anyone think ariya battery could be compatible with the leaf
Seems highly unlikely. Ariya seems to be based upon a different platform and they already mentioned water cooling of batteries.

Veganleaf said:
Anyone think ariya battery could be compatible with the leaf or if a 3rd party dealer will make new leaf batteries to keep old leafs on the road? Or Nissan will start selling new leaf batteries at a fair price?
::chuckles::

Veganleaf said:
Anyone think ariya battery could be compatible with the leaf?

If you flip that question around, you'll understand people's response since your original post...

What would motivate Nissan to make the Ariya battery pack fit in a LEAF?

There's no upside for Nissan, other than goodwill towards LEAF owners. Next, consider Nissan's track record RE meaningful goodwill towards LEAF owners, particularly for battery packs, and you'll understand the cynicism...

The next generation LEAF will be built around the Nissan/Renault/Mitsubishi modular BEV platform. And no it won’t be backward compatible. The Ariya is the first car to be built on that platform.

I agree about Nissan's lack of motivation to support replacement packs but I also think that putting a Ariya pack in a Leaf would be a non-starter from a technical point of view. It's a new platform and probably has a completely different mechanical footprint. Then there is the addition of active cooling which the Leaf does not support, etc. Anyone in tech knows that retaining backwards compatibility is often a huge PITA. A new platform is often a new design from the ground up and trying to make it fit into an older, obsolete application is a huge constraint that has little or no payback. It would be akin to putting a Porsche engine in a Chevrolet. The number and scope of incompatibilities are enormous.

I guess will just have to try to find a scrap yard 62kwh or do a muxsan style upgrade if it ever becomes available in Canada.

You might want to consider just driving the car to the US, doing the conversion there and then driving it back. Much less paperwork and better chances to find a surplus battery (with lower shipping costs).

My recent purchase of a 13K mileage 2018 SV for $16K is based on the warranty.

I have a 84 month bumper-to-bumper warranty (5+ years remaining), with a 5 year loan, whiich means I can totally re-evaluate the status quo in 2026.

I expect there will be many technologocial improvements by then, or a total collapse of the economy.

Either way, I'll be in as a good a place as I can reasonably plan to be.

In the meantime, I have a great car !

Back