Used leaf suspicious battery SOH

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FuManchu

I checked a used Leaf which is very interesting to me. I did a Leaf Spy on it and the results were a bit suspicious, meaning they look too good to be true to me - see below.

It is an Acenta with 24 kWh battery. The car has close to 28.000 km, first registration was in 12/2015 in Germany.

The > 100% SOH seems suspicious to me and the rest of the numbers are also seem too good for a car of that age and mileage.

I heard about the possibility of a BMS reset with the consequence that the SOH is reset 100% and needs a couple of battery cycles to get back to reality. Does that also affect the GIDs? Is there anything else I could test to verify the SOH?

The condition of the car is very good and the price is reasonable for the age and mileage. It's from a big and trusted Nissan dealer in Germany so I really don't expect any manipulation. I would really like to buy it if everything is ok with the battery so I look forward to your opinions.

AHr = 66.02
SOH = 100.95%
Hx = 98.80%
Battery Voltage: 390.28V
2 QCs, 651 L1/L2s
241 GIDs 85.8%
SOC: 84.2% / 18.7 kWh remaining
Odo is equal to the mileage displayed on the dashboard.

Sometimes the BMS will get reset when some service is performed or repair done. Ask the dealership if this was the case. You can calculate battery capacity from a longer range test, or by noting how much charge the pack accepts when charged from near empty to full.

I agree that a real life range test is the best option. I did that recently on a 2013 that I bought for my father from a dealership that was just a lot full of repo's and other assorted odd cars.

I'd drive 60 km or so (farther is better) and see how much the SOC drops. There is a button on the dash that will display SOC in %. Use that with an estimate of the efficiency (km/kWh, which depends on speed, hills, your driving technique but 7,2 km/kWh is probably a middling estimate) to find the range you can expect if using the entire charge from the battery, which will correlate to SOH.

FuManchu said:
Is there anything else I could test to verify the SOH?

Best possible test would be to discharge the battery to 10% and recharge to 100% and measure the kWh needed using a good quality power meter. Some EVSEs have very acceptable power meters included. This plus battery temperature should allow a SOH measurement to fairly good accuracy.

Second best would be a long enough drive to estimate range.

Either would be more than good enough.

FuManchu said:
I checked a used Leaf which is very interesting to me. I did a Leaf Spy on it and the results were a bit suspicious, meaning they look too good to be true to me - see below.

It is an Acenta with 24 kWh battery. The car has close to 28.000 km, first registration was in 12/2015 in Germany.

The > 100% SOH seems suspicious to me and the rest of the numbers are also seem too good for a car of that age and mileage.

I heard about the possibility of a BMS reset with the consequence that the SOH is reset 100% and needs a couple of battery cycles to get back to reality. Does that also affect the GIDs? Is there anything else I could test to verify the SOH?

The condition of the car is very good and the price is reasonable for the age and mileage. It's from a big and trusted Nissan dealer in Germany so I really don't expect any manipulation. I would really like to buy it if everything is ok with the battery so I look forward to your opinions.

AHr = 66.02
SOH = 100.95%
Hx = 98.80%
Battery Voltage: 390.28V
2 QCs, 651 L1/L2s
241 GIDs 85.8%
SOC: 84.2% / 18.7 kWh remaining
Odo is equal to the mileage displayed on the dashboard.

ahr is only 98% of the likely original capacity

Thanks for all of your replies. I guess I'll make a longer test drive then, maybe including a charge on a Chademo station.

Two remaining questions:
Which efficiency can I expect from a Chademo charging station? Meaning what do i have to deduct from the kWh that the charging station is telling? I could extrapolate this value to 100% SOC to estimate the real current capacity of the battery.
Does the BMS reset also influence the number of GIDs?

FuManchu said:
Thanks for all of your replies. I guess I'll make a longer test drive then, maybe including a charge on a Chademo station.

Two remaining questions:
Which efficiency can I expect from a Chademo charging station? Meaning what do i have to deduct from the kWh that the charging station is telling? I could extrapolate this value to 100% SOC to estimate the real current capacity of the battery.
Does the BMS reset also influence the number of GIDs?

95%

GID is just shorthand for some # of W-hr and is calculated from information supplied by the BMS, so yes, a BMS reset will skew the number of GID's.

The only way to know the true SOH after a BMS reset is to externally measure the battery capacity by monitoring a charging session or doing a range test.

Oh, one last thing: If I do the range/charge test and extrapolate the energy amounts to 100% SOC, I need to know what energy amount the 0-100% SOC (according to the values displayed on the dashboard) would be on an new battery. I read this post https://mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?t=16197. But I‘m still not sure if the 100% SOC is equal to 21.3 kWh or 22.48 kWh.

The kWh available at 100% SOC depends on the state of the battery, which is almost by definition the SOH. Regardless of how much is 'hidden' at the bottom or top you should be able to determine how much range you can expect from the battery in its current state, which is the spec that matters IMHO.

If you want to determine whether the BMS has been reset, you can search the forums for how many kWh were available in new 24 kWh batteries. I know I've seen that number mentioned here before but I can't remember the exact value at the moment.

kwh varied and was dependent on SOC which was dependent on top end cell balance.

First LEAFs had about 21.8 kwh then 2013 it moved to 22.7 kwh which is not intuitive since GID count only changed from 281 to 284 but Nissan changed the DoD for the greater range.

Back