220 V charging outlet on a 200 V Japanese car

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

keynorth

I just purchased a used 2018 Leaf from Japan and I intend to use it in the West. However, the rating on the charging cord says Input/Output 200V 15 Amps but my home supply is 220 V. Is it safe to charge the car directly from the 220 V supply or would it cause damage to the battery or anything in the car?

Since voltage is the crux of the matter here, you should know that home voltage in the US is (and has been for many decades) 240 volts, with 120 volts (not 110) as the common outlet voltage. Some commercial installations and a very few townhouses use 208 volts. The issue of the Japanese EVSE has come up before, but I don't remember the answer. I'm sure that someone here will.

LeftieBiker said:
Since voltage is the crux of the matter here, you should know that home voltage in the US is (and has been for many decades) 240 volts, with 120 volts (not 110) as the common outlet voltage. Some commercial installations and a very few townhouses use 208 volts. The issue of the Japanese EVSE has come up before, but I don't remember the answer. I'm sure that someone here will.
It's possible the OP is in Western Europe, which does use 220v(no 110 or 120v)......

True enough. I'm so used to people in the US writing "220" that I tend to forget that Europe actually uses that voltage. If that's the case I apologize to the OP.

Sorry Folks, my bad. When I said "West", I meant in the West Indies where many island countries use 110/220 V domestic supply. If I do not get any feasible responses in the next few days, I think I may just have to invest in a step-down transformer just to be sure, thereby mitigating the risk of damaging anything. Thanks for the attention. I am still going to keep my eyes and ears open for advice.
Cheers !!

I know there are a lot of importers to some regions like New Zealand whom we can hopefully get info on what they can handle. I suspect Gary is right that the onboard charger will be fine. There are often other funny problems like radio stations being just off what the locals are.

Why not just purchase a EVSE that will handle a larger input voltage range, rather than purchasing a step-down transformer? The latter would be expensive, I would think.

Something similar to this should work:

https://amzn.to/2ViUtIb

The radio stations are definitely off and needs to be reprogrammed, but I can get that done.
I can also get my hands on a 220/240 V EVSE, but I was worried about the on-board unit receiving the 220V and whether it could damage anything there. I really appreciate all the advice rendered. I will now go speak to my Importing Agent and his car technician about the advice received. EV's are relatively new here, so the technicians are still on the uphilll side of the learning curve.

According to page 9-4 of the 2018 owners manual, the on board charger accepts both 220V and 240V single phase input voltages.

The JDM charger units operate can operate at 200 VAC, the unit can handle 200 to 240 VAC only problem is the control voltage transformer inside the charger, this is rated at 200 VAC, it will eventually heat up and fail, if using at a UK voltage of 230 VAC the control transformer can be changed out for a 230 VAC unit and the unit will work perfectly and give you a charge rate of 15 Amps, the supply plug will have to be a 16 amp unit such as a CE / Commando Blue plug type for UK applications.

Onboard charger checks the software. If hardware is not happy with 220V input it will just not engage.
Normal onboard charger (likely the same for the whole world) accepts voltage up to 258V. (or something similar,
was mentioned in tech.manual).

Back