Battery swap adapter needed?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bjorn1349

Hey guys,

Sorry to make a whole new topic but I could not quite understand from the threads if an adapter is or is not needed between a new battery and my car. I have a 2013 S which I believe makes it a gen2 AZE0 car. If I am wrong please correct me. I am down to about 40 miles of useable range and in the winter I have to stop and charge on the way home. I only live 14.2 miles from my work and I cannot make the round trip in cold weather. Time for a new battery!

If I get a 40kwh battery from a newer salvage vehicle is it considered a gen2 battery and the connector from the car and pack are compatible.

If I have read correctly, all I will need is to physically swap the packs, install either the SimonAndre Gateway or Muxsan bridge, and be good to go? Am I missing anything?

Thanks.

If you have the light interior and electric handbrake its an ZE0. If you have the all black interior with foot operated handbrake, its the AZE0.

If you have a AZE0, battery plugs are the same. If you have a ZE0, you need an adapter for the B24 connector on the battery (22->36-pin)

Dala said:
If you have the light interior and electric handbrake its an ZE0. If you have the all black interior with foot operated handbrake, its the AZE0.

If you have a AZE0, battery plugs are the same. If you have a ZE0, you need an adapter for the B24 connector on the battery (22->36-pin)
I'm going to need one at some point.
What are good sources?

Oilpan4 said:
Dala said:

What are good sources?

The B24 connectors can only be sourced from EVs Enhanced or from a wrecker willing to cut harnesses.

In AZE0 (2013-2017) a 40kw battery will fit the connectors,
need to do two operations
1-register a replaced battery (id_bat)
2-install CAN-MOST
i did so https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rce-6lxPvPw https://electrotransport.ru/ussr/index.php?topic=56770.108

Is there any programming involved or is the muxsan bridge 'plug-and-play'? Is there a DIY video somewhere that shows all the steps required?

I'm considering this but don't want to have to learn how to program CAN-bus messages, etc. If the software part has been handled already and it just takes some wrenching (careful and safe wrenching to be sure....) then please let me know. TIA.

Dala said:
Oilpan4 said:
Dala said:

What are good sources?

The B24 connectors can only be sourced from EVs Enhanced or from a wrecker willing to cut harnesses.
Oh, I was probably going to get a whole car.
Is there a guide to show what wire goes where on the new plug?

goldbrick said:
Is there any programming involved or is the muxsan bridge 'plug-and-play'? Is there a DIY video somewhere that shows all the steps required?

I'm considering this but don't want to have to learn how to program CAN-bus messages, etc. If the software part has been handled already and it just takes some wrenching (careful and safe wrenching to be sure....) then please let me know. TIA.

I can't speak on Mux' behalf, but the idea for all CAN-translators is plug and play. It would be silly to have the customers exercise some dangerous mental gymnastics with programming how the battery behaves. Plug'n'play, atleast that is what I do for my customers.

Oilpan4 said:
Oh, I was probably going to get a whole car.
Is there a guide to show what wire goes where on the new plug?

Yeah, you can look at my github repo, both ZE0 and AZE0 pinouts are here: https://github.com/dalathegreat/Nissan-Leaf-Battery-to-OBD2/tree/master/Documentation Just note that they renamed the RLY signals
RLY1 (ZE0) == RLY P (AZE0)
RLY2 (ZE0) == RLY N (AZE0)

Here's a complete step by step: http://www.japtoys.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=3613&start=60#p71473

Thank you guys! That's exactly what I was looking for. Dala thanks so much. I was pretty sure I would not need the connector/adapter.

Is tindie the place to buy the mux bridge? Also, is it really only $99 compared to the $1000 for the Canadian SimonAndre gateway???

I'd like to support Mux for all the hard work he did making this available.

Where do I install or plug in the bridge? I haven't seen a DIY thread. Maybe I'm missing some pictures somewhere? I see the connectors on the board but which connector does it go into?

I'm fairly handy with mechanical stuff and basic car maintenance but electrical and coding is not my strong point.

Bjorn1349 said:
Thank you guys! That's exactly what I was looking for. Dala thanks so much. I was pretty sure I would not need the connector/adapter.

Is tindie the place to buy the mux bridge? Also, is it really only $99 compared to the $1000 for the Canadian SimonAndre gateway???

I'd like to support Mux for all the hard work he did making this available.

Where do I install or plug in the bridge? I haven't seen a DIY thread. Maybe I'm missing some pictures somewhere? I see the connectors on the board but which connector does it go into?

I'm fairly handy with mechanical stuff and basic car maintenance but electrical and coding is not my strong point.

The 99$ price is just for the empty hardware. You'll have to pay more for the bridge to contain conversion software. Get an estimate from Mux, I am at the moment not taking any remote upgrade projects in the US!

Dala said:

Are some 2013's ZE0 and some AZE0 (USA models)? Is there a way to tell from the VIN and/or if the charger is in back, etc?

goldbrick said:
Dala said:

Are some 2013's ZE0 and some AZE0 (USA models)? Is there a way to tell from the VIN and/or if the charger is in back, etc?

You are thinking of battery chemistry changes in April of 2013, but those old chemistry battery modules used early in the year came in the new pack housing. If the modules themselves changed, then I'd expect the 2013 modules to be the new design, with the old "filling." The 2013 model refresh applies to every 2013 designated with that year; if there were a few Gen 1.0 Leafs with 2013 VINS, they would have the OBC in the back. I doubt that any of those exist, because production was also moved from Japan to Tennessee for the 2013 MY.

Thanks Dala! You're a real asset here on the forum and in the EV community in general. Maybe when I quit my day job I'll take up EV work too and then I can contribute something to the cause. Til then, thanks for sharing!

Back