State of Health (SOH) improving with age??

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ACStark

When I bought my used 2015 Leaf I looked at a number of them and used LeafSpy to get the SOH of each. I chose one with a SOH of 92.81%, it was the best of the ones I was looking at.

Since purchase I have been very careful how I charged the battery. Zero Level 3 charges, and tried to limit the Level 2 charge to 80% with a very occasional full charge when I needed the range.

Since I purchased it the SOH as shown by LeafSpy has slowly risen from 92.81% with AHr=57.63 to now an SOH of 96.30% and AHr=59.80.

So LeafSpy reports the state of Health has improved 3.49% over the time I have owned it.

Can anyone explain this? Is it a problem with LeafSpy?

Is it possible to rehabilitate a battery by good charging habits?

Thanks for any ideas.

Sometimes it happens, especially with the better chemistry batteries - and your car has the best chemistry. I wouldn't expect much additional improvement.

Well if it's true, a less than 4% drop in 6 years (manufactured in late 2014) is quite amazing. Possibly has something to do with being in the Pacific North Wrest with moderate temperatures, but still quite amazing.

There are many 2015 Leaf's out there with 90+ SoH. They did some magic with the battery that year, and they are as good or better than the Tesla batteries of that year.

I think many of us are waiting for that magic to return. The 40 and 62 appear to have a larger initial run off. Long term still isn't completely known.

ACStark said:
When I bought my used 2015 Leaf I looked at a number of them and used LeafSpy to get the SOH of each. I chose one with a SOH of 92.81%, it was the best of the ones I was looking at.

Since purchase I have been very careful how I charged the battery. Zero Level 3 charges, and tried to limit the Level 2 charge to 80% with a very occasional full charge when I needed the range.

Since I purchased it the SOH as shown by LeafSpy has slowly risen from 92.81% with AHr=57.63 to now an SOH of 96.30% and AHr=59.80.

So LeafSpy reports the state of Health has improved 3.49% over the time I have owned it.

Thanks for any ideas.

It's entirely possible your Leaf's battery was replaced at some point.

ACStark said:

Thanks for any ideas.
When I moved, my drive changed from a very predictable 10 mile round trip commute to much more varied driving. And the SOH of my 2014 LEAF battery went from a fairly predictable decline to all over the place. Increased more than 10% to over 100% for a while, then plummeted to 86%, and has recovered to 90% at last reading. My last recharge estimate last fall gave 88%. Car has 59,000 miles.

SOH is an estimate. There is no magic window on the side of the battery with a readout. The estimate has various errors and inaccuracies. So do any other ways of estimating battery capacity.

There is no difference in meaning between 93%, 92.8% and 92.81% because the numbers after the decimal point are far smaller than the errors.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Significant_figures

This often happens as seasons change. "CALCULATED" capacity fluctuate depending on average pack temperature.
I have that every year. 2-5% jumps expected.

Back