Charging while driving

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

map40home

I know, I know, but before you start with they "not again", hear me out. I can get 10kw or 20kw in the trunk and run a 240v inverter. I can run a cable with a granny charger to the front and splice the wires in the 1772 plug feeding the charger. This way, I don't mess with the batteries, and still get to extend the range. Is not efficient, but less risk and a heck of a lot easier. Possible?

Honestly that has always been the hack I wanted to do t0 extend range.

Is it just the 1772 being plugged in that wouldn't allow it? Or can the Leaf not charge and drive at the same time? I thought about a Honda EU2000i and charging at 1.2 kw. Yes I know thats only 5 miles in an hour, but 5 miles further than without it :) And you could just leave it (or a battery and inverter) running the whole time to charge while sitting at work or someplace else.

Well, If you want to use a generator, I got 4 different inverter gensets. The Honda would be too slow. The Brigs and Stanton 5kw 240v costs the same and can charge at 3.3kw. Same noise level, comparable fuel consumption per kw produced. I still believe batteries in the trunk with an inverted would be my choice.
The question is, What is the charger doing when you are driving?

For me, the point of using a BEV is to avoid emissions as a result of my driving. What's the point if you are just using a generator with likely worse emissions than an ICE?

The closest level 2 charger to us is 130 miles away. One of our Family trips is also about 130 miles from us, how do I travel that distance with the Leaf in any reasonable amount of time. So for that 2 times a year I would need a range extender, I could take the Leaf, but right now that isn't an option. And yes I know I have the wrong EV for the job, but I have the Leaf and for 98% of our driving it works fine.

BrockWI said:
The closest level 2 charger to us is 130 miles away. One of our Family trips is also about 130 miles from us, how do I travel that distance with the Leaf in any reasonable amount of time. So for that 2 times a year I would need a range extender, I could take the Leaf, but right now that isn't an option. And yes I know I have the wrong EV for the job, but I have the Leaf and for 98% of our driving it works fine.

FWIW, you can usually get an unlimited mileage rental car for $40 a day, or $200 for a week. If you're only doing that trip twice a year, then renting a car for it would be cheaper than trying to extend the range of your LEAF. You'll likely upgrade to a longer range EV in a few years from now anyways...

We have two other vehicles, usually taking the van. But we do a lot of running around once we are there and it would be great to use the Leaf instead of the van for the trip. I guess my point is if I had to burn 1 gallon of gas to avoid burning about 20 in the van wouldn't that be a better option?

People, let's stay on topic. Can we charge while driving? Forget about the why or if it is right for you or not. Can we feed the 1772 port while the car is been driven?

map40home said:
People, let's stay on topic. Can we charge while driving? Forget about the why or if it is right for you or not. Can we feed the 1772 port while the car is been driven?

Electrically, sure.

Software would need modification to allow it. Don't have the sources, so then hacking the binaries.

Good luck.

BrockWI said:

If it were me, I'd get a portable L2 and find an RV campground en route willing to rent you charging time. Another thought is to use Plugshare to see if any private parties have offered to share their L2 between the two points.

map40home said:

Asked and answered. The answer is, "No.". People have wired in external chargers and extra batteries and used those while driving, but the internal J1772 is not active, and since it has to interact with the BMS while charging, it's not likely to be easily hackable.

davewill said:
map40home said:

Asked and answered. The answer is, "No.". People have wired in external chargers and extra batteries and used those while driving, but the internal J1772 is not active, and since it has to interact with the BMS while charging, it's not likely to be easily hackable.

Got it. Thanks. If it has to interact with the BMS and can’t multitask, the question is answered. Maybe adding another charger...

BrockWI said:
From Greenbay WI?

Plugshare.com shows a lot more than that. What is the vehicle's realistic range?

Yes there are plenty of L2 charges and yes I have done that, but stopping with the family 1/2 way for 2 hours on a 2 hour trip doesn't work.

But that is not the point, as map asked, can it be done, not trying to find an alternate solution, I have plenty of alternate solutions.

I can do Greenbay to Chicago in one charge, but that's with the Plus. Even Chicago to Door County is doable in a charge. GB has a Tesla supercharger, but no Chademo's that I am aware of, or can find.

It would be super useful to have even a basic 50kW station in either or both places.

I finished building my first prototype for a portable charger. 3.3Kw, works with no problem. I only have one battery pack (7 cells), but I have enough to do 7 packs (49 cells total). Each one with its own BMS. Total cost: $3k

Back