Is this LeafSpy data ok for 2014 with 62,000 miles?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sendler2112

Is this LeafSpy data ok for 2014 with 62,000 miles?
73305313_2507977925947971_704444322388377600_n.jpg

OP: rather than taking a picture of your phone, you can have your phone produce a screen shot. Hold Power & Vol Down on Android, or Side + Vol Up on an iPhone.

sendler2112 said:
DaveinOlyWA said:
ok for what?

Ok for a 2014 SL with 62,000 miles. Ok for many more years of service to make a 40 mile winter commute with charging at work and at home.

sure, it'll work. You need 20 miles of range in Winter so yeah if you treat it like the former owner did. The balance on the 3 metrics, ahr, SOH and Hx shows very good charge management. Now it would be better if you actually have an active LEAF Spy shot as the one you have could be displaying information that is months old.

BUT...

You can easily not make it work by overcharging it which Nissan has made very easy to do.

I agree that the battery looks to be in excellent shape. If your commute is 20 miles each way you should be set for a long time, especially with charging at both ends. Snow on the roads and using the heater when it's below about 20F outside will both take a significant hit on range but even in those conditions I'd say this car will do 20 miles each way for a very long time. Summer and nice winter days you can probably just charge at work, especially if it's free :mrgreen:

It does look like the car is about to drop it's first capacity bar, which usually happens around 85% SOH but that doesn't really affect anything except potential re-sale value.

This comes down to as much about the car as it is about the driver.
OP: are you wed to blasting cabin heat in the winter, or can you make do with heat seating ?
If the former then look for another car.

The way to think about these cars is to figure out *usable* battery capacity, and then to figure out *usable* range in different environments. This car starts with 56 Ahr TOTAL battery capacity which is about 56*0.36 = 20 kWh. 2 kWh is reserved by Nissan and you should have *at least* 3 kWh of battery saved for unexpected stuff so your practical usable capacity between charges is 15 kWh. Winter drivers consume between 350 - 500 Wh/mile depending mostly on cabin heat use so the winter range will be as low as 15/0.5 and as much as 15/0.35 depending on driver.

Then there is battery degradation to consider. Figure on ~ 3% a year in your climate based on this battery history and other posts in this forum

I can make the 40 mile distance to work most of the time. I hypermile my Honda Fit to 40 mpgUS and do half of my miles/ year right now in any weather that there is no ice on the roads with heated clothing on my ecomodded Honda CBR250R at 105 mpg. If the forecast looks like a snow storm that might create a traffic jam I can use the Fit on the worst days. Average 4 miles/ kWh in the Leaf equals 10kWh per trip. Piece of cake.

I owned a Honda Fit for couple of years and averaged something north or 40+ mpg also, but I would never presume 4 miles per kWh in Syracuse winter in a LEAF. You also have to keep in mind that as the battery gets colder the available energy drops. Lastly, the battery degradation of ~ 3.5% a year is linear.

If you plan to keep a substitute vehicle for those days when the LEAF is inadequate you are good to go. Do you have a plan 'B' for those occasions when your workplace charging is unavailable ?

^ Agreed. I saw 3.0 - 3.5 km/kWh during the coldest parts of winter last year, and that was with just enough heat to keep the windows from frosting up.
If your other car is a Fit that you plan to keep and you'd rather ride a motorbike any time the roads aren't too slippery, I'm not sure I'd bother with an EV at all.

Titanium48 said:
^ Agreed. I saw 3.0 - 3.5 km/kWh during the coldest parts of winter last year, and that was with just enough heat to keep the windows from frosting up.
If your other car is a Fit that you plan to keep and you'd rather ride a motorbike any time the roads aren't too slippery, I'm not sure I'd bother with an EV at all.

45 minute, steady highway commute with preconditioning? Or short trips stuck with the heat on in traffic?
The CBR20R at 100 mpgUS and $2.50 per gallon is actually cheaper to put energy in than A Leaf at $0.12 per kWh. But obviously jumping in a warm, dry car is much more comfortable and safer.

Preconditioning in the morning, but not the afternoon. City driving, but not usually stuck in heavy traffic. Average speed of 20-25 km/h including slow moving traffic and time waiting at traffic lights.
A highway drive at moderate speed would certainly deliver better efficiency, but if you are covering 40 miles in 45 minutes door to door your cruise speed will be at least 90 km/h, which won't allow much more than 4 mi/kWh even without HVAC.

My estimate was based on my driving in little to moderate traffic, average speed about 30MPH. (The average speed tends to be lower than you expect, because it includes time spent stopped.)

sendler2112 said:
So 10 kWh for propulsion and ancillaries for 40 miles plus 45 minutes of resistive heating to clear the glass on the worst day is what? Another 2 kWh.

2kwh sounds about right for the heat pump, with the PTC assisting. If it's below 25F or so, though, it can be double or even close to triple that (near 0F or colder) for heating if the PTC is doing almost all the work.

Back