cwerdna
Posts: 11352
Joined: Fri Jun 03, 2011 4:31 pm
Delivery Date: 28 Jul 2013
Location: SF Bay Area, CA

Re: 2019 Leaf battery overheating

Sun Jan 05, 2020 3:56 am

For the folks here complaining about Leaf DC FCing slowing down as the battery got too hot and me bringing up thermal management on Bolt, I just learned the guy I posted at viewtopic.php?p=575995#p575995 did the "Cannonball Run" in a Bolt across the US in about 79 hours. He most definitely did multiple DC FCs in a day.

'19 Bolt Premier
'13 Leaf SV w/premium (owned)
'13 Leaf SV w/QC + LED & premium (lease over)

Please don't PM me with Leaf questions. Just post in the topic that seems most appropriate.

smkettner
Posts: 7501
Joined: Mon Aug 09, 2010 10:13 pm
Delivery Date: 26 Feb 2014
Location: Orange County, CA

Re: 2019 Leaf battery overheating

Sun Jan 05, 2020 11:54 am

Yup. Until Nissan adds active thermal management to the battery all need to know one L3 charge per day is a practical maximum.

Perfect for travelling about 1.5 to 2x the actual range per day. Very limited beyond that. That's just the way it is by design. Nothing is wrong with the vehicle.
1 bar lost at 21,451 miles, 16 months.
2 bar lost at 35,339 miles, 25 months.
LEAF traded at 45,400 miles for a RAV4-EV
RAV4 traded in for I-Pace Dec 2018

webeleafowners
Posts: 1164
Joined: Mon Oct 05, 2015 5:37 pm
Delivery Date: 06 Oct 2015
Location: Okanagan Valley British Columbia

Re: 2019 Leaf battery overheating

Sun Jan 05, 2020 12:24 pm

smkettner wrote:
Sun Jan 05, 2020 11:54 am
Yup. Until Nissan adds active thermal management to the battery all need to know one L3 charge per day is a practical maximum.

Perfect for travelling about 1.5 to 2x the actual range per day. Very limited beyond that. That's just the way it is by design. Nothing is wrong with the vehicle.
I tend to agree. Our longest day on our regular road trip is exactly 554 km. Should be a good fit for the Eplus. Not so much for our 2016 SV but we do it. The chihuahua and I need to pee often anyway. 😜
2020 Model 3 Tesla. AWD with FSD. Deep metallic blue. Our daily driver.
2016 Nissan Leaf SV 30KWh Culis Red. Sold. Was my daily driver. Loved that car.
EV only Family...well except for the big diesel motorhome. :shock:

User avatar
OrientExpress
Posts: 1586
Joined: Sun Aug 08, 2010 12:22 pm
Delivery Date: 10 May 2011
Leaf Number: 2331
Location: San Jose, Ca

Re: 2019 Leaf battery overheating

Sun Jan 05, 2020 5:17 pm

I have found that multiple L3 charges in one day only adds about 15-20 minutes to the total time for all three charge sessions compared to doing just one session per day.
2018 LEAF SL
Gun Metalic
Delivery April 10 2018

Prior LEAF:
2014 LEAF SV
Ocean Blue
Delivery May 23 2014
50,000+ miles - all 12 bars - Same range as new - No warranty issues ever!

DaveinOlyWA
Posts: 15179
Joined: Sat Apr 24, 2010 7:43 pm
Delivery Date: 16 Nov 2019
Leaf Number: 319862
Location: Olympia, WA
Contact: Website

Re: 2019 Leaf battery overheating

Sun Jan 05, 2020 10:13 pm

webeleafowners wrote:
Sun Jan 05, 2020 12:24 pm
smkettner wrote:
Sun Jan 05, 2020 11:54 am
Yup. Until Nissan adds active thermal management to the battery all need to know one L3 charge per day is a practical maximum.

Perfect for travelling about 1.5 to 2x the actual range per day. Very limited beyond that. That's just the way it is by design. Nothing is wrong with the vehicle.
I tend to agree. Our longest day on our regular road trip is exactly 554 km. Should be a good fit for the Eplus. Not so much for our 2016 SV but we do it. The chihuahua and I need to pee often anyway. 😜
I did that distance and stopped to charge several times for 20 - 25 minutes. The E Plus "seems" to shed heat better but will need to do some Summer driving to know for sure. I will say the BMS is completely different than my 40 kwh LEAF. Nearly everything is different in how the car charges during various conditions.
2011 SL; 44,598 mi, 87% SOH. 2013 S; 44,840 mi, 91% SOH. 2016 S30; 29,413 mi, 99% SOH. 2018 S; 25,185 mi, SOH 92.23%. 2019 S Plus; 15, 235.1mi, 93.12% SOH
My Blog; http://daveinolywa.blogspot.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

webeleafowners
Posts: 1164
Joined: Mon Oct 05, 2015 5:37 pm
Delivery Date: 06 Oct 2015
Location: Okanagan Valley British Columbia

Re: 2019 Leaf battery overheating

Mon Jan 06, 2020 6:55 am

DaveinOlyWA wrote:
Sun Jan 05, 2020 10:13 pm
webeleafowners wrote:
Sun Jan 05, 2020 12:24 pm
smkettner wrote:
Sun Jan 05, 2020 11:54 am
Yup. Until Nissan adds active thermal management to the battery all need to know one L3 charge per day is a practical maximum.

Perfect for travelling about 1.5 to 2x the actual range per day. Very limited beyond that. That's just the way it is by design. Nothing is wrong with the vehicle.
I tend to agree. Our longest day on our regular road trip is exactly 554 km. Should be a good fit for the Eplus. Not so much for our 2016 SV but we do it. The chihuahua and I need to pee often anyway. 😜
I did that distance and stopped to charge several times for 20 - 25 minutes. The E Plus "seems" to shed heat better but will need to do some Summer driving to know for sure. I will say the BMS is completely different than my 40 kwh LEAF. Nearly everything is different in how the car charges during various conditions.
Typical day for us when we used the grand Cherokee was a 15 to 20 minute morning coffee, walk and pee brake, a half hour lunch and a 15 minute afternoon break. There is lots of charging opportunities along the way. We’ll charge during all our breaks. We tend to set the cruise at about 105 kmh.
2020 Model 3 Tesla. AWD with FSD. Deep metallic blue. Our daily driver.
2016 Nissan Leaf SV 30KWh Culis Red. Sold. Was my daily driver. Loved that car.
EV only Family...well except for the big diesel motorhome. :shock:

metricus
Posts: 100
Joined: Wed May 15, 2019 1:51 pm
Delivery Date: 28 Apr 2019
Leaf Number: 307046
Location: Reading, PA

Re: 2019 Leaf battery overheating

Sat Feb 01, 2020 8:33 am

OK, so I figured I should let you guys know what i've been doing in the meantime.
Sorry for being offline for so long. Life...

In short, we leased a Model 3. Dual Motor, Long Range (75kWh)
I still have my leaf (2y lease ends May 2021) but we sold our Prius and now we are 100% gas-free.

The Tesla came on Dec 19. This goes off-topic but I love it.

So the formula is simple. Leaf cannot be counted on for longer trips due to the lack of thermal management. But it's a pleasant vehicle to drive for decent distances around the residence. I know that if I have to DC charge I am opening myself to frustration as I never know how long it will take me. So i plan to not have to.

Tesla on the other hand has no problem whatsoever with long hauls. I had to pick-up my girls from EWR and JFK before Christmas and all went super smooth. The trip to EWR and back, i did without Supercharging. Going to JFK, I had to Supercharge while waiting for her to clear customs. Charging at 90 kW is a breeze. It can do 150 kW but I never experienced that. Whatever...

At home I use the same Siemens wall unit I used since my first Leaf. It delivers 30 A which is not the max Tesla can take (48A) but i find it sufficient. Not having to table 500$+ install for the Tesla wall unit makes me happy. FYI the model 3 comes with a little adapter to a SAE J1772 plug so i was ready to charge from the moment we brought it home.

Besides that, you have no idea how 170W/kg feels in comparison to only 70W/kg for the Leaf. Woosh!

Open for questions if anyone has any...

TexasLeaf
Posts: 115
Joined: Wed Mar 21, 2018 5:37 am
Delivery Date: 17 Mar 2018
Leaf Number: 303111
Location: Texas

Re: 2019 Leaf battery overheating

Sun Feb 16, 2020 3:30 pm

As many of you are aware, I traded in my 2018 Leaf in for a 2019 Niro EV. I thought I might share with you one day in the life of my Niro EV. Last December I traveled by interstate from Socorro, NM to Fort Worth, TX in one day.

The total distance was 808 miles and I traveled the speed limit the whole way except for the first leg. The first leg was 201 miles and the temperature was below freezing so I kept my speed to 60 mph. I made six consecutive CCS fast charging stops, I typically charged from 10% to 60% and my charging rate always peaked out at about 75 kW after the battery warmed up.

This would have been a challenging day even in a gas car but there wasn't a hint of the Niro EV traction battery getting hot. The Niro EV is definitely living up to it's billing. I have no regrets for abandoning my one year old Nissan Leaf and going with the Niro EV.
2018 Leaf SL
2015 Ford Fusion Energi Titanium
2007 GMC Envoy XL SLT 4X4

DougWantsALeaf
Posts: 2217
Joined: Fri May 10, 2013 8:21 pm
Delivery Date: 18 May 2013
Leaf Number: 407811
Location: Chicago North Side

Re: 2019 Leaf battery overheating

Sun Feb 16, 2020 4:16 pm

Thanks for the Niro report.

We sat in the Niro finally today. The storage was a bit less than I thought it would be watching the online videos. Leaf is definirme still bigger. I do like the fact it has rear vents. Interior volume had both some pluses and minuses (remember we jam 3 large kids in the back).

Hoping we will start getting some battery longevity/degradation from the Kona/Niro soon as this was a new pack for Kia last year. Hoping we will as well get the Niro in the Midwest by end of this year.
2019 S Plus (98.06% SOH) & 2019 SV Plus (94.77% SOH) Both Silver
2013 Leaf SV sold 2019 with 11 bars
100 Mile Club Member (Number 87)
Max Miles on 13 Leaf: 120 miles
Max Miles on 19 SV+: 242 Highway miles @ 4.5 miles/kWh

salyavin
Posts: 203
Joined: Thu Sep 26, 2019 9:51 pm
Delivery Date: 30 Dec 2019
Leaf Number: 318726
Location: Littleton , CO

Re: 2019 Leaf battery overheating

Sun Feb 16, 2020 5:57 pm

Just want to make sure you know the cold weather package gives rear floor vents. We don't want an SUV but cargo room is important (kid crap), so the LEAF does well there. It is still winter but I have not had big heating issues doing fast charging in the plus so no real road trip issues and EA feeds me in the 70s very similar to the Niro but cheaper being Chademo (Niro tends to get charged one tier up). Summer we'll have to see how the plus does in my climate, that lack of thermal management may get me. I've done 1100 miles in one day a gasser (prius) a number of times, sometimes we swap drivers after 6 or 8 hours. A LEAF could not pull that off even if it was all EA feeding 75-77kw all the way. I don't really plan to do that trip any more (relatives there are no longer with us) but two fast charges in the day via interstate (high speed) is no problem in the winter. In the winter I see no sign of any heat issues.

Return to “Batteries & Charging”